PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 30HP prop - differences in brands?

stevos
14-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Im in the market for a new prop for my 30HP Yamaha. Existing prop is a 9&7/8 12F that has been doing the job well for a while so Im not intending on making any changes.

I am however wondering if anyone had any comments on prop design in terms of performance differences. I remember looking at Rascal props a couple of years ago at a boat show and being told that they had superior performance due to the hub design that provided a larger exhaust diameter.

So any recommendations on brands, dealers or prices?

The prop will be aluminium since I like shallow water and would prefer to replace the prop than the gear box in the unfortunate event that i hit something (OK maybe I should add again).

Cheers,

Steve

FNQCairns
14-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi Steve, it's just guff the efficiency claims, marketing to talk people into buying their proprietary hub systems and props of coarse. Buy a plastic hub system only if the mercury torq-flow hub will fit as other prop manufacturers also use that system so choice and price competition is on the buyers side. Those Turning Point props seem OK it is only their hub system that turns me off, I understand they will have props cast as compatible with torq-flo next year so they are an option then.

Trouble with trying to find a prop that is more efficient for a 30hp is if you do strike gold the first time 3% of 30 is still 3% of 30hp. A person can get much more than this with engine height alone 9 times out of 10.

Anyway IMO buy on price it probably will never matter. The standard aluminum Yamaha props are perfectly OK and a bucket load cheaper in the US or get yours rebuilt.

cheers fnq

stevos
14-06-2007, 12:01 PM
My thoughts exactly FNQ. For the $135 I have been quoted for a standard prop I dont have any intention of heading to solas at $219.

Anything with clean blades will be better than the chewed up version I am running now with still good performance so I doubt I will be unhappy.

Cheers,

Steve

Dory4.1
14-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Steve,

Can the old prop be repaired economically? I've seen some before and after pictures of some damaged props that you would'nt believe to be the same propellor.

Cheers
Michael

angler1
14-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Steve i wouldn't recommend fixing it as i had one done and the prop became brittle any bumps the tips would crack off.

aussiebasser
14-06-2007, 07:48 PM
I upgraded a standard yammy prop to a Solas Stainless one a few years ago. The Stainless made quite a difference. Check the Solas Alloy and the Yammy alloy side by side, and compare the inside diametre of the hub. This is the exhaust outlet. Having a bigger outlet is a bit like putting on a sports exhaust system. Solas will also let you try a couple of props to get the best pitch.

tunaticer
14-06-2007, 08:02 PM
I mangled a prop on a 1/2 inch roundbar crab pot some prick had sunk in the shallow part of a channel to catch my prop. One blade was almost folded onto itself and another had a piece missing. I sent it away with another damaged prop that had a bent blade but no nicks or wear and they came back both in perfect shape. The mangled one is still on my motor and has lasted for about 40 or so trips ploughing the mudbanks and sandbars in the great southeast and still not given up the ghost.
It cost me something like 80 per prop to get them done on the gold coast about 3 yrs ago. Testament that some repairs are very good value. I have had a repair previously tho that lost a part that had been rewelded back in place.

Like FNQ said standard props are fine and lots cheaper than performance props and you can find them about 1/3rd the price from overseas.

Jack.

stevos
14-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Yeah Im not too keen on getting the old one reshaped mostly because it has actually started to be ground down to a sharp edge from the sand, and I believe that too much material has been lost to make any modification long lasting. Plus I wouldnt mind having a spare just incase...

Have also told myself that once the new one goes on I will be treating her with a little more care - just need that little encouragement.

Cheers,

Steve

RobGoesFish
14-06-2007, 11:05 PM
HAHA sure mate, I cant see you getting out and walking along the shallow flats in the middle of winter :) Or maybe I am just a skeptic.

stevos
15-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Rob,

Thats why I take Kat fishing - you have so much to learn young squirrel.

Cheers,

Steve

rlazar
04-10-2008, 06:34 PM
hey i had the same prop on30hp yami on a 4mt runabout
was using 23liters of fuel going from picnic point to botney bay and back
now i use a solas stainless 13 pitch now i go faster and use 15 liters less revs