PDA

View Full Version : 25hp 4stroke or 30hp 2stroke?

Mozza
14-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for advice/experience and the pros and cons of 4 stroke vs 2 stroke.

I have a 4m Savage (tinny) with an old ('93) but reliable 25hp Evinrude on the back. I need a bit of extra grunt when punching in the wind with a passenger. To get a better ride, I put the passenger in the back with me so motor weight might be an issue.

The following summarizes my opinions about the pros and cons of each type:

4 stroke pros: fuel efficient, quiet (better trolling)
4 stroke cons: weight, cost, servicing costs

2 stroke pros: weight, cost, amenable to troubleshooting and home-servicing,
2 stroke cons: fuel inefficient, noisy, can be bloody frustrating trolling at 'Barra speeds'

I'm leaning towards a late model, 3-pot 2 stroke at the moment. Something like a Yammy 2002-2005.

Appreciate any/all feedback.

Thanks
Mozza

Mozza
14-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Apologies all,

I should have searched the threads before posting - should have known it would be the most-asked question.

Any up to date opinions still valued tho'.

The bit about oil-injected 2 strokes being expensive to maintain and service was a bit of a 'heads up'.

Mozza

Noelm
14-06-2007, 10:59 AM
oil injected 2 strokes are no harder/more expensive to maintain than a premix (within reason) and you will never get a final answer to your question, just get the one YOU feel will suit your needs, and budget, do NOT be influenced by the old "I have a XXX and it ....", get one from a good dealer that will help you if you have some drama later.