PDA

View Full Version : Boat bit's, Ebay, private listings??

FNQCairns
14-06-2007, 09:44 AM
What is the go with these? A boat bit I have my eye on is a private listing, is this a seller ploy so they can con the bidders??

Thanks fnq

Noelm
14-06-2007, 09:52 AM
might be just me but I find buying stuff from ebay to be almost a waste of time, MOST things are not cheap and you do hear enough "horror" sories to make you wonder if it is all worth while, after you consider postage and risks with buying stuff "unseen" sure I know there are people who 'live" ebay and can't help but peruse all day looking for bargains, but it seems to me to be a waste of time (my thoughts only here)

freefish
14-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Have been buying off eBay for 4 years. Don't look on it as a place for bargains (but they do happen) but as a big market while living in the bush. Great to be able to buy world wide. Over 1500 deals 1 ripoff 3 disputes that were resolved successfully. Main thing is to research what you are buying & don't get carried away with your bidding & if you miss something there will always be another sometime. Private bidding is so that you don't know who you are bidding against. Bit of a waste as now they don't show bidders ID when the prices get up a bit. Main rule is : set your price, bid to it & remember that there will always be another one & the next time you might be the only bidder. Bill

FNQCairns
14-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks fella's think I will only bid on it at the end and only then if it has had no bids.

cheers fnq

moater
14-06-2007, 11:14 PM
One of the reasons people put listings up as private is so that people can't see exactly what the seller has bought from other sellers and resold for a bit of markup.Also the fact that buyers may want anonymity as they are likely to resell the item.

A couple of tips & thoughts:

Know what you're after & be sure you're willing to pay shipping that's stated and/or calculated.Make sure that it's a value for $ buy with the information at hand.Insurance on high cost items is VERY advisable.

The overwhelming majority of sellers that have been around for awhile are superb but of course there are exceptions - ie I've bought from sellers that have single digit feedback and the whole experience has far exceeded that with those of higher feedback.
Sellers are human (usually ;D ) and they make mistakes,have unforseen things happen,or even ongoing issues that affect their ability to deliver as efficiently as they might genuinely intend.Work out any problems via communication,just as ya do with "Harry" down the road with a ... for sale.

If you're more than a casual browser then set some "favourites" along with your ebay registration.If you see something you need then watch it..OR if it's offered at a great price with "Buy It Now",and the whole thing's right ie the former criteria with feedback,PRICE then click on the B.I.N as too often suckers in the excitement to get the item at any cost do just that - push up the price way above what you (or any other hopefully sane person) would pay...TOTAL Cost.

With your "Favourites" settings be sure to have the B.I.N as well as the Auction categories saved.Also have Ending Soonest and Newly Listed (among others) saved.Check the Ending Soon(est) and if there's nothing that you want that ends with a preferred time then check the Newly Listed items for any bargains that haven't been 'tainted' by those that wouldn't know a deal if their head was on fire,and therefore made unavailable to B.I.N.

BEWARE the huge amount of rods & reels of unknown brands that are really just taking up valuable time for browsers looking for good gear.It's usually copy stuff from Mr Wrong a bit north of Aus and as such will make you into a gibberish mess when it fails due to poor manufacturing....aaaaahhh ssoooooo....>:(

Caveat Emptor,
Darren

FNQCairns
15-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks Darren for the reply, I let it go for under what I would have paid, these days I am no longer interested in dealing with anyone in any arena who I cannot easily see as forthright.

But I did purchase another example from another seller who had all their cards on the table.

Have saved thousands up till now, over RRP.

Gotta say I do like Ebay:)

thanks fnq