PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Cleaning

bj75nt
12-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on getting the fishy smell out of marine carpet. I've always washed it vigourousy with water after use, but she's getting a bit on the nose, particularly after a day with the cover on. Cheers

russ81
12-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Hows it going mate
Last time i had that prob i took her down to car lovers paid two bucks and sprayed the carpet with there deodorizer gun took less than five mins
another option is to get some febreeze from the supermarket and spray onto the carpet

Russ

-spiro-
13-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Mate i mix a diluted amount of chlorine{pool stuff}in some water with a bit of car wash. Poor it on and get a broom and give it a light scrub. Then hose it off. The hose thing will be a problem now tho. Don't over do the chlorine as it might eat your carpet away if its to strong.
Use at your own risk, this is what i do

Mr__Bean
13-06-2007, 04:14 AM
When mine gets like that I wet the carpet thoroughly then sprinkle powdered laundry detergent on the carpet.

If it is cool you can let it sit for an hour or so otherwise just work it in a bit with your feet.

Rinse it out and it will smell all poofy again.

- Darren

Marlin_Mike
13-06-2007, 05:06 AM
My wife hires a carpet shampooer from Woolies every 3 or so months to do the carpets in the house. I borrow it when shes finished and do the boats carpet. Proper shampoos etc, comes up a treat and never stinks

Mike

Mad-One
13-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Try scrubbing with warm water with squeezed lemon juice that should work

Mad

FNQCairns
13-06-2007, 01:21 PM
BJ if your boat is aluminium and you plan to own it for a while make sure you flush the underfloor regions well, pretty sure alkaloids and of coarse acids are bad to have hanging around your boats underfloor regions so I suspect all cleaners will cause corrosion some more than others. It's a hard case
Regardless lot's and lot's of water needed to flush.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
13-06-2007, 02:35 PM
I pull me carpets out (press studs) 3 pieces, roll them up chuck them in a 40 litre bucket of hot water with Nappy san. Let them soak like you would a shitty nappy, pull them out guernie them off, easy.

Chimo
13-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Hi BJ

There was a bit on this before.

Still like the Odour Kill myself.

Cheers
Chimo

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=106966&highlight=odour+kill

bj75nt
13-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks for your help chaps. She's a trailcraft with a sealed deck so no problem with nasties getting left under the floor. Cheers!

Blackened
14-06-2007, 06:20 AM
G'day

What I do on the job is shampoo them. I use pullman carpet shampoo for all that kind fo work, spray it on liberally and then coat the carpet surfaces with water untill the shampoo foams up nicely.

Let sit for a few minutes, don't be afraid to walk around on it to make it work a bit more.

Vacuum out the excess with a wet head, you now have fluffy clean good smelling carpets.

Dave

Alex9797
14-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Great tips guys.

Bj I have managed to keep the fish smell away mainly due to the fact that I am a crap fisherman. I wish the carpets smelt fishy.

cheers

Alex

revs57
14-06-2007, 07:27 PM
I put a couple of caps of antibacterial hand wash into a pressurized garden sprayer, spray it on, leave it for 15mins or so then hose it off...works every time

cheers

Rhys

bigbass
14-06-2007, 07:57 PM
The good old OMO has always worked for me. Sprinkle it on then just run over it with some warm water and a broom. Rinse well and let it dry out completley.

SWFISHER
14-06-2007, 08:04 PM
clean it and leave it in the sun for a week

Splash
14-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Do u guys clean your carpet whilst still in tact in boat or do u remove it from boat?

Is it best to glue down your carpet or velcroe it?

Does carpet stretach/go out of shape if one taakes out to clean and hangs in sun for a while?

Is rubber backed carpet good for keeping clean carpet?

Pros and cons?

Splash

RobGoesFish
14-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Mate i mix a diluted amount of chlorine{pool stuff}in some water with a bit of car wash. Poor it on and get a broom and give it a light scrub. Then hose it off. The hose thing will be a problem now tho. Don't over do the chlorine as it might eat your carpet away if its to strong.
Use at your own risk, this is what i do

Never use chlorine in contact with stainless steel, particularly higher grade stainless. Over time it causes pitting corrosion to occur which is a quite a nasty.

revs57
15-06-2007, 08:37 AM
I've glued mine down, don't want it to shift around at the wrong moment when at sea, or even on land for that matter...so clean it in place...no problem

cheers

Rhys