PDA

View Full Version : Who's ordered from O/S

finding_time
12-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Just wondering what have been your experiences, which company's you have ordered from, delivery time,etc.

I've got 5 x Alutecnos 20 light tackle reels to order;)

Ian

B_E_N
12-06-2007, 12:24 PM
the only o/s stuff ive ordered have been lures from shim reels, cheap and fast and there looks to be nothing different about them so im really happy

Strewth
12-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Ben

How did shim reels mail the lures to you and were they insured?

Strewth

Noelm
12-06-2007, 01:05 PM
why not get a price from your local tackle store?? after you add on freight, and you may pay some sort of duty because you have 5, and then warranty drama, it is sometimes not worth the effort, I know a dozen people will get on and say I got an XX and saved $$ but when it is all said and done unless it is something really obscure and you cannot get it here, it is usually not worth the bother.

TheSaint
12-06-2007, 01:18 PM
I got recently got Daiwa Certate 1500 & saved $120 by getting it off www.japantackle.com (http://www.japantackle.com) had it in about 5days.. I would get another reel off them without doubt as they emailed me straight after I paid & wanted to know when & if i had received the reel & offer lifetime warranty which is top service i think..

& just on your comment noelm i went saw my 'locals' but noone was willing to do a deal with me so I went O/S.. they only hurt themselves when they won't reel'n'deal cause it wasn't like i was looking at $20 reel it was worth $500!

B_E_N
12-06-2007, 02:17 PM
strewth, i got jackals from them, at $12 each it was a big saving, because of the type of lures they had them in bubble wrap, i cant remember if they had insurance for it but postage was only $10, i was happy

turley
12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Just consider that it is not always the shop fault they cannot do you a cheaper deal. All shops buy off an importer who has there own markup on products. So here, unlike Japan, we have 2 business which need to earn money to survive. Do you realy expect a shop to sell an item for less than they payed?

I got no problem with buying gear from O/S which you can't get here, but when you can buy locally, the return service from a good local shop is worth the extra couple of dollars I spend on a local product.

Willo
12-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Just remember Ian, that anyting worth over a $1000 Aus that comes into the country and you will have to pay tax (thats the whole shippment not individual )items
If over $1000 Aus might be worth getting 2 parcels sent
Willo

dogsbody
12-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Gday Ian I have just got in 2 penn 320ld's from www.tackledirect.com in the states. They would have cost $480 here but got them for $300 delivered.

Your Alutecons should set you back about $605(AUD) each delivered but the tax thing i don't know what the deal is there.

My reels took 6 working days to get here.

Dave.

DR
12-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Gday Ian I have just got in 2 penn 320ld's from www.tackledirect.com (http://www.tackledirect.com) in the states. They would have cost $480 here but got them for $300 delivered.

Your Alutecons should set you back about $605(AUD) each delivered but the tax thing i don't know what the deal is there.

My reels took 6 working days to get here.

Dave.

if AU$605 you will get the gst on orders over $1000 makes them AU$665

try campbells tackle $649 ea

on 5 you may even be able to negotiate a better deal..

charleville
12-06-2007, 05:34 PM
A couple of years ago, I bought a Scotty downrigger, including a 10lb "free" lead bomb from Cabelas.

I was happy with surface "mail" which took about 7 weeks and added 20% to the Cabelas list price..

The whole transaction was perfect. All well packaged with included instructions on how to handle warranty and returns, etc.

Paid about AUD$190 landed to my doorstep versus $499 locally.

Other US retailers were slightly cheaper but I went with Cabelas because of their reputation.

finding_time
12-06-2007, 05:37 PM
why not get a price from your local tackle store?? after you add on freight, and you may pay some sort of duty because you have 5, and then warranty drama, it is sometimes not worth the effort, I know a dozen people will get on and say I got an XX and saved $$ but when it is all said and done unless it is something really obscure and you cannot get it here, it is usually not worth the bother.

noelm

mate i'm a big avocate for this but in this case trying to get a dealer who deals in alutecnos reels that can come within $200 per reel delivered( that's including 10% DUTY) doesn't seem to exist;) an 2 dealers said i would be better sorcing o/s as they cant get them off the Aussie supplier for near the american price

Ian

Willo thanks for the tip mate,;) the guy in the states said he would send them in 3 packets afew day apart for each package.

Dr

Thanks for that also, the guy in the usa is also doing a fair deal for 5 and the order may now be for 7 reels

finding_time
12-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Just consider that it is not always the shop fault they cannot do you a cheaper deal. All shops buy off an importer who has there own markup on products. So here, unlike Japan, we have 2 business which need to earn money to survive. Do you realy expect a shop to sell an item for less than they payed?

I got no problem with buying gear from O/S which you can't get here, but when you can buy locally, the return service from a good local shop is worth the extra couple of dollars I spend on a local product.

Turley

Mate i've spoken to both retailers about the price i'm being offered and it something i'm sure they will take up with the importer but they are very supportive of my sorcing the reels overseas as it will pressure the importer who intern can pressure alutecnos for better deals( as there selling them anyway i dont think they will care) The retailers cant believe the o/s price and know i support them very well all year but a $1000.00 is a lot of money

Ian

Heath
12-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Ian,
Better off waiting maybe a few weeks between shipments. I believe customs if they pick you up importing multiple parcels of the same thing will add the two together and if over $1000.00 inc postage will hit you for GST.
Now for the fun part. If the guy you are buying them off will understate the value, you'll probly get away with it, not silly prices but just enough to scrape in under $1000.00 inc postage, you should be right. Err on the side of caution and use the conversion rate of 0.78c for the value. ;D as customs use the conversion rate on the day of arrival not what the exchange rate was when you purchased

Ohhhh I can here the howls of protest now::) 8-)

Spaniard_King
12-06-2007, 06:09 PM
shimreels (good old Jarvis)still owe me a Tiagra 16 he recons he has sent 2 reels but I have received none. If you deal with him make sure you pay by paypal and if you need to make a claim in the 45 days (the time you have to make a claim) of the claimable period. I failed to do this as he seemed a reputable dealer... hey Willo :P

I gave up hoping it would turn up months ago

Garry

the only o/s stuff ive ordered have been lures from shim reels, cheap and fast and there looks to be nothing different about them so im really happy

banshee
12-06-2007, 06:43 PM
I got recently got Daiwa Certate 1500 & saved $120 by getting it off www.japantackle.com (http://www.japantackle.com) had it in about 5days.. I would get another reel off them without doubt as they emailed me straight after I paid & wanted to know when & if i had received the reel & offer lifetime warranty which is top service i think..

& just on your comment noelm i went saw my 'locals' but noone was willing to do a deal with me so I went O/S.. they only hurt themselves when they won't reel'n'deal cause it wasn't like i was looking at $20 reel it was worth $500!

The majority of tackle shops are not signed up as what Daiwa Aust call 'Tournament' dealers and unfortunately if you are not a tournament dealer you are restricted to 'Team Daiwa' products and simply cannot access products like Saltiga's,Certate's etc.I don't know your situation it but could be the people you saw were just unable to supply the product.

Strewth
12-06-2007, 06:49 PM
strewth, i got jackals from them, at $12 each it was a big saving, because of the type of lures they had them in bubble wrap, i cant remember if they had insurance for it but postage was only $10, i was happy

Thanks Ben

I assume that you are talking US $ and that you didn't pay $US10 per jackall for postage.

Strewth

Strewth
12-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Has anyone tried Ginrichpeche? Seem to have the lowest online prices of all the Jap stores (at least for lures) but their postage costs are unclear.

Strewth

jez and suze
12-06-2007, 06:55 PM
i bought a scotty down rigger with an 8lb bomb for $200 over here they hit you for $500 without the bomb wich is $50 here..
also got the new eagle seacharter 640c for $700 wich is $1700 here....
just shows that we do get rorted in oz

Willo
12-06-2007, 07:09 PM
shimreels (good old Jarvis)still owe me a Tiagra 16 he recons he has sent 2 reels but I have received none. If you deal with him make sure you pay by paypal and if you need to make a claim in the 45 days (the time you have to make a claim) of the claimable period. I failed to do this as he seemed a reputable dealer... hey Willo :P

Garry

I had no probs with him had my stella in 5days:) ::) :P
Willo

dogsbody
12-06-2007, 08:17 PM
What model are you chasing?

The within $200 per reel bit i don't quite understand.

The price i posted was for the Albacore single speed reel.

Dave.

TheSaint
12-06-2007, 08:28 PM
The majority of tackle shops are not signed up as what Daiwa Aust call 'Tournament' dealers and unfortunately if you are not a tournament dealer you are restricted to 'Team Daiwa' products and simply cannot access products like Saltiga's,Certate's etc.I don't know your situation it but could be the people you saw were just unable to supply the product.

They were team daiwa dealers that want the full RRP for the reels..

Greg P
12-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Willo thanks for the tip mate,;) the guy in the states said he would send them in 3 packets afew day apart for each package.

Ian - just remember that you still could get hit with duty and GST despite the separate packages if they got to the same address within close time periods. It probably hasn't happened much but it is in the rules if you check the customs website. Get them sent to 3 different addresses maybe ::);D

Spaniard_King
12-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Yeah send one to me :D

Garry

Greg P
12-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Me too - you can have it back next winter ::);D;D;D

You will need to call the Cat Mr T with all that bling :-X;D

finding_time
12-06-2007, 10:01 PM
You will need to call the Cat Mr T with all that bling :-X;D

It's getting a nice new set of 5.5meter relax poles( black i think) and the whole boat is going to get a cut and polish and the moreton bay chair is going back on the icebox( after a touch up);) after all that it deserves a nice spread of gold reels in the rack;D ;D It is a classic after all and should be treated as such:D

Ian