PDA

View Full Version : Electric for Impoundments

barrafever
12-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Bit of advice needed here guys, we have an old 13 or 14 ft tinnie with roughly 20hp on the back of it. Have been fishin monduran occasionally and have noticed how having an electric motor would benefit and increase our chances with the barra. The other reason for my interest in an electric is that i am located in Maryborough (QLD) and lenthals dam is all but 20 mins away and is restricted to 6hp or less. As i have next to no knowledge about electric motors i'd appreciate some feedback ie brands, prices, battery setups etc. It would only be used in the stocked impoundments (only fresh) and im not worried about getting the greatest thing out, just something that will do the job.
Cheers :2thumbsup:

SWFISHER
12-06-2007, 12:22 PM
mate mullet gut marine in Toowoomba has the Jarvis walker model (watersnake)
bowmount 44lb for $499 I believe this to be areal bargain. these have not been about for long and there are mixed feelings about them. check em out

cheers kevin

SWFISHER
12-06-2007, 04:48 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=109979

CHECK THIS THREAD OUT MATE

barrafever
12-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the link SWFISHER and the info above. sounds like there is a bit of controversy with the watersnakes. the Minn Kota's and Motorguide seem to be the pick of the lot. Have heard a bit about the Minn Kota's but also heard that they can be quite pricey. I guess it also depends on whats available not too far from home. Watersnake might be worth the risk ill have to read into it. appreciate the feedback mate cheers

boatie
13-06-2007, 07:10 PM
hey barrafever,
i also live in Marybrough and plan on fishing out at Lenthals ( just got new 4hp tohatsu 4 stroke for inpoundments) i can reomend the Minn Kota electrics. they are a very good motor. Dad has a 3.6m Quintrex with a 40lb thrust Minn Kota. literally the electric almost pushess the boat faster than the 1970something johnson 4hp he has and all you can hear is the boat pushing through the water. hes just got a 12 volt marine battery which the alligator clips conect to the termnals. it has 5 foward speeds and 3 reverse speeds. it will run for 12 hours on the slowest speed and 5 or 6 on the fastest speed. I think he paid about $300-$400 for it.

hope this helps and might see you out at Lenthals one day!
Boatie

barrafever
16-06-2007, 08:06 PM
thanks for the reply boatie, ive been doing a bit of searching around and what you have mentioned seems to be about the setup we'd be looking for. any idea where your old man got the minn kota from?? had a look at bcf today in hervey bay, they didnt have much of a range in but said they could order in any model on request. not sure how pricey they would be though. had a squiz at the watersnakes too i think the bowmount 46lb was $495. cant wait to get out to lenthals again its a top place. cheers

boatie
17-06-2007, 11:49 AM
hey Barra
the old man got the minn kota from a shop in Ellena street starting with a B. I would never buy anything off him again the way he treated use for another purchase.

Boatie