PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Purchase

kpmack
12-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Hi Guys,Lookin to buy a new rig that I can handle myself. I do estuary, and enjoy flickin for bream and flathead with a bow mount. i also like to get outside when I can. I have honed in on the Trailcraft PROFISH 5.1mtr side console which I believe would do both. The Razorline also looks good but haven't seem one up close.I like the plate tinnies and hope these ride OK??. I thought a 90hp would do the trick, but unsure as to 2 stroke(etec or optimax) or 4 stroke, let alone brand.Yamaha,Merc or Suzuki What about serviceing costs?? Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated before I spend the hard earned bucks........................Paul::)

russ81
12-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Hows it going mate
I have the Trailcraft sportscab and absolutely love it. The Trailcrafts handle beautifully and i think you'll have no dramas with the brand as for motors either go for the four stroke or the etec if you decide on the four stroke i highly recommend the Suzuki.
Russ

kpmack
12-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi Russ, Thanks for your reply. What are the service intervals and costs on the Suzuki. How many hours have you done in yours. They say Suzukis are pretty good now. Your obviously happy with yours............Thanks again............Paul

PWCDad
12-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I recently purchased a SeaJay 5.0 Haven and am very happy with the boat. I spec'd a Yamaha 80 hp 4 stroke and its extremely good on fuel .

I did some prop testing (3 different props) at purchase time and settled on a 16" pitch stainless Yamaha prop. It gives 31.5 knots (GPS) and revs to 5900rpm fully loaded (4 persons and full camping gear for 4 days) at neutral trim.

I went for the centre console for max floor space and ease of unloading the camping gear forward ..the side console would offer the same I assume or maybe a tad more ...

The boat I paid just shy of $32k and have since added hydraulic steering and a Furuno Sounder ( plotter next).

Pic below ...

Regards
PWCDad

russ81
12-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Hey mate
I am currently in the process of upgrading to the suzuki 140hp i currently have a 2st 140hp V6 on the trailcraft and it sucks the juice like there is no tomorrow as for the servicing i get mine done once a year or every 100 hours at the moment and have had no dramas with 260hrs on the clock
Russ

kpmack
12-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Hi Russ, yeah the V6 2 strokes would be guzzlers. The etec and optimax 2 strokes are supposedly much better. Good luck with the suzuki !!!!..............Paul

johnsonMAN
12-06-2007, 04:28 PM
My dad was talking to a mate from the QLD Boating and Fisheries Patrol and apparently -
2 strokes - Tohatsu 2 stroke or TL-DI
4 strokes - Suzuki Suzuki Suzuki
This is coming from a bloke who spends atleast 200 days a year on the water.

Coontakinta
12-06-2007, 05:40 PM
KP, I have a razerline and looked @ the trailcraft before purchasing. If u intend to set up the boat to your liking, then the Razerline is probably the way to go although I doubt if I'd buy another. The trailcraft comes as a u get it the way we build it product......there is no customisation. When I bought mine there were many changes I wanted to the hull and its layout and these were no trouble for the Razerline folk. I also question the plate status of the trailcraft. As plate usually is just that a slab of aluminium not the pressed sides of the like seen on the trailcraft.

As for powerplants, I run a 90 TLDi, (Tohatsu Low Pressure Direct Injection). This is max hp for the hull (5m Eclipse runabout). Whilst this motor is everything DI's are cracked up to be its one drawback is its (apparent) lack of torque. On paper it looks every bit as good as the e-tec for power but in reality it cant spin the same pitch blades the e-tec does. In saying this however, I have seen reports where this does not neccessarily equate to less speed. Search for the thread on TLDI's in this forum. Its only a couple of weeks old - three @ the most. The Tohie is very reliable, cheaper to purchase than the e-tec, and supposedly is more fuel effecient. I cant confirm the last bit though.

I'm assuming that the C/C razerline has a transom rated the same as that of the R/A - 180kg if this is indeed the case I would specify a 115 DI in place of the 90. Both the e-tec, the Tohatsu and the Optimax come in under that weight and in my opinion would make for better powerplants on this hull. (Just make sure the spec plate shows this!)

I'm not sure how my servicing costs compare to other 4 stroke 90's but I pay around $250 pa compared to more than double that of my m8's 130 honda. Sure its double the size but I imagine there wouldnt be too much difference in 4 stroke pricing.

Best of luck with your decision
Coonta

kpmack
14-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks Coonta that is really good advise and I'll evaluate it very carefully........................Cheers........... ........Paul

kpmack
14-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks johnsonman I've actually heard the same about Tohatsu and Suzuki with both very reliable. ...............regards......................Paul

bj75nt
17-06-2007, 02:19 PM
I've got a 510 Profish with a 90 Suzuki and couldn't be happier. A very sturdy boat, and just as importantly a very solid trailer. She's a dream to ride in on rivers and more than capable outside. Hydraulic steering is well worth the investment.

polky
17-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Matey, I have a 4stroke suziki, good on fuel, nice and quiet, and they look good.

fish2relax
17-06-2007, 03:15 PM
hi KPmack,
i have a 2 month old 540 profish with 115 yammy 4st. couldnt be hapier about ride and performance. its a very open boat so i love it throwing plastics around and feels very safe to go outside in.i have made a couple of additions last week and ill post a pic when i have the boat out next. i had clears made up to run from the bimni to the floor on the fron and side clears also.
totally transformed the boat. as i can sit at ancor out of the elements.
cant complain about the econemy either i average 8-9L/hr after 40hrs. and thats at either a troll or flat out. (46mph)
cheers
fish2relax

kpmack
19-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi fish2relax,
Glad you are happy with your rig.Do you handle it yourself on and off the trailer, or is the 5.4 a little big for that. That was one reason why i Thought the 5.1 may be better for me!!. Am tempted to go to the 5.4. What are your thoughts ?? Is the Trailcraft made of structural plate ?? or is it just pressed like Quinnie. Trailcraft claim its plate but is it true structural plate. May have to give em a call. Tempted to go to the Optimax or etec to minimise servicing costs............................Cheers........... ....Paul

kpmack
19-06-2007, 11:38 AM
I've got a 510 Profish with a 90 Suzuki and couldn't be happier. A very sturdy boat, and just as importantly a very solid trailer. She's a dream to ride in on rivers and more than capable outside. Hydraulic steering is well worth the investment.
Hi Bj75nt,
Is it big enough, or do you wish you had of gone to the 5.4mtr. Is it easy to get on and off the trailer?. Do you do this by yourself ?. What's the ride like in rough water. Is it a dry boat in the rough. How long have you had it?? Thanks for your interest.............Cheers..................Paul

fish2relax
19-06-2007, 12:45 PM
g'day Kpmack,
where abouts are you located?
yes i handle the boat by myself although my partner comes with me she only assists in getting the car (and this is where the help ends lol)
as its a open boat i simply drive it onto the trailer then walk forward and hook the winch cable on, walk back take up the slack and turn motor off. get off the boat and winch the last 3-4inches.
although it is a big boat and if it is breezy or a strong current running then it does get moved around abit. but after a few outing i got the knack of it. and can counter act most conditions as most could with practice.
yes it is a plate boat.
the only thing im not totally happy with is the trailer. not the construction but more so its only a single axle. i tow with a troop carrier and you can feel its there when a semi comes by or if there a big wind blowing.
im thinking of selling in a few months time so if your that far off making a purchase then shot me a msg then.
cheers
fish2relax

Shane Dyer
19-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Gday Kpmack,i have recently purchased a plate 4.8mtr centre console that is built really tough.I have matched it with a 75hp Mercury 2 stroke which is a 90hp de-tuned and is a real grunty motor and i am stoked with its performance and fuel economy.I did all my homework on 4 strokes and D.I 2 strokes and was advised by a good source that the 3 to 4k difference you would never make back in fuel.I consider my boat to be a great all rounder.I generally fish bluewater up to around 100mtrs in depth with great confidence and with the casting platform i envisage myself casting lures up north for barra or flicking for bream in the creek or estuary.Being a plate boat this model is not very heavy and i manage it easily by myself as i normally fish alone.cheers and happy hunting.