PDA

View Full Version : ..redland bay fishing comp

daz apps
11-06-2007, 08:17 PM
>:( born and bred at wello moved to bush 30+ yrs ago brother and i go fishing there quite often son and family moved down 3 yrs ago son rang and wanted us to go down for the challenge before we went rang tried to find out the rules (not that in our wildest dreams did we think we would win anything) but after ringing and going there i realise there r quite evently no rules they bring them in as they go along

>:( >:( first time in the comp maybe they need to set rules out a lot clearer...lucky door prize i didnt read that they where going to pick 5 people a night to go in to the draw..the lucky draw for the boat ....i just think it needs to be set out more professionaly...accepted anyones nominations whether you fished or not ,,so out of how many there were only 15 picked ,, and you had to be there ..on the night to just go into the draw ......WRONG..
been to quite a few comps ,,,all the best to all the winners we all had a good time :)

shaman
11-06-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm an ex Redland Bay boy and have fished heaps of those challenges over the years and I always found them to be well organised. I guess being a local I was aware of the rules without reading them and found the kid's winning rod's etc even though random cheered everybody. I remember when it was a fairly small event and as it grew it became a bit less personal but on the whole quite enjoyable. The categorie winners, who by the way were almost always locals, earned their stripes by way of local knowledge and technique and some of the captures were amazing. Anyway I got into the spirit or "spirits" of the event and it certainly was a great gathering of sportsmen and women. Being a bit of a poet I even penned a poem about the event which I posted here a couple of years ago..................... I'm sorry you found it confusing but I'm sure if you do return with the knowledge of how it's run you will find it even more enjoyable.... despite the cold....

shaman
11-06-2007, 09:07 PM
I thought I would show you the poem about the comp. and I hope it reflects the spirit of the comp. as I experienced it.

The Comp.
Every calender in Redland Bay has three days marked in red,
especially down the water police, three days they've grown to dread,
when every fisherman worth his salt attacks the briny bay,
and god help any ###### who drifts across his way.

Now the boys from down Pt Talburpin way are champing at the bit,
just waiting for the starters gun, stubbies open cigarettes lit,
the gun goes off, they're in their boats and heading for the point,
they were deadly bloody serious, until someone lit a joint!!

Now Robbie McCormack you've heard of his tale,
with his terminal tackle, he's chasing a whale!!!
with his number one ballys and two o's so trusty,
that he keeps in a tin so they get nice and rusty.

so two hours or so before the top of the tide,
a horse bream comes flapping up over the side,
"It could win us two grand or even the boat!!"
but just to be sure jammed some lead down it's throat!!

The judges at the weigh-in are compiling their list,
while the fisho's sit down and slowly get p!ssed,
but the heaviest bream goes to some other pr!ck !!!
He didn't use a snapper lead he used a besser brick!!

So now it's all over for another long year,
as fisho's for miles cry sad tears in their beer,
tomorrow the planning starts all over again,
but instead of using a sinker we'll use "FRIGGIN TEN".
......................Billy
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/report.php?p=169557) http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/post_thanks.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/post_thanks.php?do=post_thanks_add&p=169557)

darryl13
11-06-2007, 09:24 PM
it was shit first time and last for me

tobig
12-06-2007, 08:19 AM
good comp alot off good fish weight in good to see some fishermen that can fish and not just talk

betsy
12-06-2007, 06:07 PM
yep another great year with some changes for the good i thought the flathead max lenght of 60 cm was good no big lizards getting culled, heard they r going to start a live weigh in section next year,should be good .next door neighbour won the junior lucky door prize boat.what a ripper

3rd degree
12-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Betcha the young fella would be stoked!

Cheers

Jim

finding_time
13-06-2007, 09:25 PM
yep another great year with some changes for the good i thought the flathead max lenght of 60 cm was good no big lizards getting culled, heard they r going to start a live weigh in section next year,should be good .next door neighbour won the junior lucky door prize boat.what a ripper

I thought the reason they moved the flatties to 60cm was that i would give other people a chance to win that class( easier to get a 60cm than a 70cm) as the same guy had won the last 4 years;)

Guess what he won again , 5 years in a row now. Congratulations Milan amazing effort:D

Ian

liltuffy
14-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Shaman, that's gold. I used to fish the Redlands and Straddie comps years ago but got very disgruntled with the amont of cheating going on - so voted with my feet.

Your poem brings back some of the lighter stuff that used to go on and I really enjoyed it.
Thank you

DR
14-06-2007, 02:56 PM
i heard rumours about someone winning a particular section with a fish that was caught by someone that was not in the comp & passed on... anyone else hear these rumblings????:-X
i suppose anything with money & prizes brings out cheats...

finding_time
14-06-2007, 03:39 PM
i heard rumours about someone winning a particular section with a fish that was caught by someone that was not in the comp & passed on... anyone else hear these rumblings????:-X
i suppose anything with money & prizes brings out cheats...

yep these rumors seem to circulate every year and i'm sure where there's smoke there's fire, it would be very easy to do if you were that way inclined!

tobig
14-06-2007, 08:15 PM
alot of rumours start by people how cant catch fish . and don't put in the time as do some off the winners like the offshore guys how were out there in same crazy winds and the estuary fishos fishing day and night. put in the time and you can came up with the goods and not just talk about it

finding_time
14-06-2007, 09:42 PM
and not just talk about it

Yep !! Got that the first time, no need to repeat yourself;)

DR
15-06-2007, 08:50 AM
alot of rumours start by people how cant catch fish . and don't put in the time as do some off the winners like the offshore guys how were out there in same crazy winds and the estuary fishos fishing day and night. put in the time and you can came up with the goods and not just talk about it

that's true..
BUT where the is Kudos or money to be had, people will cheat..

Marlin_Mike
15-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Gee i love a good conspiracy story in the morning........................

Mike

finding_time
15-06-2007, 09:39 AM
that's true..
BUT where the is Kudos or money to be had, people will cheat..

Spot on DR;)

One of the reasons the Fraser comp is so popular is it's isolation, makes things a little harder for those seeking an unfair advantage;)

Marlin Mike

When i was fishing the club comps 20+ years ago there was always talk of getting fish from other sorces to post a winning fish i'm sure this hasn't improved, but if you wish to talk about it in private i'm more than happy as i'm not going say any more here;)

PinHead
15-06-2007, 12:24 PM
dam nhard to get fish from other sources way back then when you were only in row boats.

finding_time
15-06-2007, 01:32 PM
dam nhard to get fish from other sources way back then when you were only in row boats.

Hehe! It was only a row boat when the seagull wasn't running:-[

webby
15-06-2007, 03:19 PM
The reason most ban fishing in Jurassic Park for a certain species.