PDA

View Full Version : Berkley Dropshots

dagwood
11-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Saw Berkley Dropshots on special at the store that shall not be named. Can anyone give me some feedback on them as they look a fair mid range priced rod.
Also they had 3 sizes, 6'6, 6'10 and 7'2. What is the difference in use for these sizes. I was also surprised to see they were advertised for use on Bream, Bass, Flathead and Barramundi. As the rod stipulates 2kg-4kg would this be right. Please note I am a very average fisherman. That is my assessment. My wife does not rate me anywhere near that good.
Regards Darryl

BilgeBoy
11-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi Dagwood

Mate I love mine!! It's a series II which is gray in colour and should set you back around the $79 range. I went with the 7'2" because I wanted to flick around SP's which it does fine. Great tip and as strong as all hell. I recently landed a 10-12kg Stingray on this 2-4kg rod running 4lb Braid & 12Lb leader...Ok...it took a while...but I got it to the boat. The thing felt like a sub and was a great test for the rod...It performed very well.

Go for it and good luck!!

Regards

BilgeBoy

Crumbo
11-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Dagwood,

I have a 6'6 2-4kg dropshot, used it for a while before I upgraded and can say that they are good value for money IMO. I caught good flatties and bream on SP with it and it had no worries.

Cheers

Crumbo
11-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Oh and forgot also a decent ray on the 4lb line, but about half the weight of BilgeBoys'. That is a fair effort BilgeBoy!

mad max
11-06-2007, 08:18 PM
one piece of advice.

dont worry about what the wife says

dagwood
11-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Went for the 6'6. will see how it goes and report back.
Regards Darryl

TheSaint
12-06-2007, 08:14 AM
the 6"10' is the pick of the bunch..

cammac
12-06-2007, 09:47 PM
I recall some guys complaining about breakages in a forum some time ago but nothing in this one. Ive got a 6'6" 2-4kg and think its a very nice rod with a great even taper and not too wippy in the tip. highly recommended and very well priced rod

Cam

Roo
13-06-2007, 09:41 AM
I recall some guys complaining about breakages in a forum some time ago but nothing in this one. Ive got a 6'6" 2-4kg and think its a very nice rod with a great even taper and not too wippy in the tip. highly recommended and very well priced rod

Cam

rods break when abused.......sometimes you need to push the envelope of a rod to keep a rampaging fish connected. My Missues' 6'6" 1-3kg dropshot has passed these tests with flying colours. would happily recommend them to anyone. great value!

cheers, Roo.;)

mick_molloy
13-06-2007, 10:11 AM
I love my Dropshot .... but dont "High Stick" the rod when fighting a fish or the will SNAP..... I snapped mine ... the place I bought it did exchange it for even though it was my fault. When fighting keep the rod below 50 degrees.

I use 2lb fireline at the moment and love how far I can flick a light SP or HB lure..

mickstar001
13-06-2007, 11:36 AM
No complains with mine either - its the 2-4kg 6'10". Biggest fish to date is 56cm squire, and it handled it really well

Mickstar

alleycat
13-06-2007, 12:06 PM
I have the 7ft 2 in 2-4kg and my best fish to date is a 75cm mac tuna, these rods are great value, nice tip yet you feel that when they lock up you could pull the plug out with them. great snapper rod the 7ft 2 or the 6ft8 in 3-5kg.

Jeremy87
13-06-2007, 12:31 PM
I've always felt that the blank is a little thin for the quality of the graphite. I do recall at one point they were one of the most frequently returned rods at work because of breakages (high tips mostly). This seems to have dulled down a bit, i think people are starting to respect there tackle a bit more and as a consequence graphite rods are lasting longer. They are a good bang for buck rod as long as people use them properly.

dagwood
13-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Once again thanks for the replies. What do you think is best with the dropshot, fireline or braid. At present I have 8lb braid with 12lb vanish leader on my reel but it is fairly old. Looking to put new line on but am undecided as to what would suit the rod better. Should I go lighter?

plastic_paul
14-06-2007, 04:24 AM
go the 4lb, fireline is cheaper in the smaller spools (125yds) but the 300 yds spools are nearly as much as better quality "braids" like finns etc. i've had and snapped a few of these rods, none from high sticking. dont leave them in your boat during transit, keep them in the car. those little knocks a killers, and a disappointment when you get to the water.... good luck

robdiep
15-06-2007, 12:18 AM
i got the 2-4kg stick.. i have a 2500 stradic.. i luv it.. at the moment this is my favourite outfit

to sum it all up.. this rod is best bang for your bucks! :)

cammac
15-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey Alleycat,

Nice catch on your 2-4kg. what reel are you running on it and what line and kg?

Cam