PDA

View Full Version : Is It Gear Box Oil Coming Out

Redspeckle
11-06-2007, 05:39 PM
I was getting my boat ready to heading out for tomorrow a day off work and spend in the bay chase the Whiting +Snappers do the usual thing run the motor in the big bin full of water
took it out put the motor back down then proceed to load the boat up and noticed this below
I am wandering is this gear box oil coming out or something else ?
I recently had the outboard service last month and only done short trip to Amity banks with it and sat there for about 4 weeks unused
and I will be contacting the mob the done the service on it and collect the sample in a tin and be talking it to them
Mitch

seatime
11-06-2007, 06:01 PM
doesn't look too good Mitch, emulsified oil/water. postponing the trip tomorrow may be wise.

Steve

tunaticer
11-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Sorry to have to say this but it is gearbox oil mixed with water.

Time to pull the gearbox off and redo all the seals it could be any of them including the ones under the waterpump.

I went thru this exercise about 9 months ago it wasnt too much drama to fix any handyman type can do it really just do it systematically and lay things out as they come apart and reassemble in the same reverse order.

Jack.

Kerry
11-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Is this a 2S or a 4S ?? Smell it! and all will be obvious especially if it is a 2S.

Spaniard_King
11-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Pull the prop off and see if there is any fishing line wrapped around the shaft.. could be the culprit. The line chews out the seals if left there long enough. Seal replacement will be reqiored but ppressure testing will indicate the problem

Garry

Steven78
11-06-2007, 07:36 PM
If it smells strong then it would be most likely gearbox oil. The last time i got my Boat serviced by a large boat company near springwood they forgot to tighten the oil release screw at the bottom of the steg. If its that then its an easy fix. Or it could be the gasket on the oil release screw.

blaze
11-06-2007, 09:00 PM
looks to me like gearbox oil
Ok here lies the problem, I am a mechanic by trade of to long.
I have done the seals my self before and they are fairly straight foward to do BUT I have had them leak after replacing.
These days my recomendation is to take the box of and take it to a dealer who can replace your seals and then do the REQUIRED pressure check AND vacuum test to make sure there are no leaks. Saves a lot of blood sweat and tears so to speak
cheers
blaze

BM
11-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Red,

As mentioned, remove the prop and if the area immediately around the propshaft(the seal surrounding the shaft) is wet and oily then its your propshaft seal that has let go.

HOWEVER, if the seal on your propsahft is dry then it is quite possibly oil residue being flushed out of the exhaust tuner/leg region. If so you very likely have nothing to worry about. I have seen this many times (as a gearbox problem) and many times as oil being flushed from the exhaust system.

Upon removing the prop the answer will be obvious.

Dont fret, take the prop off and then you can make a better decision and of course pressure testing the box will further prove the issue.

If you have access to a pressure or vacuum device then see if the box can hold 10psi pressure and if so, its fine.

Cheers

Redspeckle
12-06-2007, 10:14 AM
With the help of my good neighbor we check the gear box oil no water/milky color in there (if any thing over filled)
This time run in gear with muffs with prop off no leaking in bottom seal work it out was from outboard sitting there not being used
The carrbuterrs were full of premix drain down (Over time sitting there) into the motor then come out of the exhaust's after starting it up and smell the black sledge pool and smell like 2 stroke oil because the gear box oil has different smell
O'well might have lost a days fishing but it better to be safe than sorry
Mitch
ps thank to the people responded to this thread

Dirtysanchez
12-06-2007, 03:58 PM
I used to have this happen with my Merc 30.. WHen I rinsed her in a 60ltr bucket I'd find that crap on the driveway in the morning, and to be honest it was just unburnt oil from the 2st !!

Keep an eye on it, those who posted above are all pretty cluey

finga
12-06-2007, 04:01 PM
If in real doubt take the gearbox oil fill screw out and see if the oil is clean or looks like a vanilla malt milkshake.
If a milkshake is present then call the service guy.

Roughasguts
12-06-2007, 06:02 PM
I always use a thread sealer on me drain and filler plugs.
Just the ordinary blue loctite stuff.

But then I fill me gearbox from the top, so I can seal the drain plug.
But that ain't the only reason why I fill from the top.

BM
13-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Rag,

filling th egearbox from the top apart from being highly unconventional would also be quite a slow process. Why not do it the normal way?

I have a hand pump from Mercury that screws onto the 10ltr bottles of gear oil so filling boxes is nice and quick. You can also buy a pump that fits the 1ltr bottles. Not sure what the other brands have but I'm sure similar is available but I use my Merc one for all anyway. If I dont have a screw in attachment for a particular make I simply have to hold the outlet firm against the drain hole rather than being able to screw it in.

Cheers

Roughasguts
13-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah I'm a bit strange BM, I got a pressure pump but it's contaminated with heavy duty gearbox oil. Nah it don't take long to fill it, I just use 6 inchess of clear hose on the tip of the oil bottle, and a bit smaller hose on the end of the clear hose. That lets the screw hole where I fill it breath, only takes a minute and I can squeeze all the oil out the bottle with out air bubbles.