PDA

View Full Version : maximum boat size for towing

slacky
11-06-2007, 10:31 AM
I am looking to upgrade my boat.I want to find out what is the maximum legal size of a boat I can tow in qld.CAN ANYONE HELP ME? thanks slacky

krazyfisher
11-06-2007, 10:59 AM
mostly it will depend on your tow car.

Kerry
11-06-2007, 11:10 AM
It's not what you can tow but where you want to tow it and when you want to tow it as "maximum legal size" is really quite wide ranging.

I know what you are trying to say but even the following is "legal" :)

http://www.cqnet.com.au/~user/aitken/gen/11m-cat-w.jpg

In any case what you probably want to know is the width and that is 2.5 metres (before it starts to become excess dimensions) and it will be the width that becomes the sticking point quicker then the length.

Regards, Kerry.

slacky
11-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks everyone,The width was the main measurement I needed thankyou.As for the vehicle to tow it ,I will buy to suit the boat.

fishing111
11-06-2007, 12:12 PM
The max width to my knoledge is 2.5 metres,thats before you have to use flags and signs for over 2.5

Roughasguts
11-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Think a 702 Signature is the max size day to day trailer boat.

SnapHead101
11-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Max width without restrictions is 2.5 metres. Above this you require a permit and will be restricted to daylight only as well as some route restrictions depending on wether you are rural/metro etc. Max height is 4.6 metres and length of vehicle boat combo is 19 metres without permits. All this info can be found on the qld transport website.

seatime
11-06-2007, 05:11 PM
That's an impressive rig Kerry, I don't think singlets suit you however, even at that range man boobs are evident ;)

There's not much chance of that set-up fitting in most boat ramp car/trailer parking spaces either. :)

Grand_Marlin
11-06-2007, 06:51 PM
All the above is true,

However,

In reality, The most you can legally tow with a modern 4wd like a landcruiser or patrol is 3.5 tonne.

The discovery and a certain older patrol is claimed to be rated to 4 tonne.

... somewhere here practicality comes into it as well.

When you are towing 3+ tonne, you really know you have it behind you, so not really suitable for long distance / heavy traffic towing.

What thoughts do you have on a boat? What budget?

Cheers

Pete

Wahoo
11-06-2007, 07:00 PM
It's not what you can tow but where you want to tow it and when you want to tow it as "maximum legal size" is really quite wide ranging.

I know what you are trying to say but even the following is "legal" :)

http://www.cqnet.com.au/%7Euser/aitken/gen/11m-cat-w.jpg

In any case what you probably want to know is the width and that is 2.5 metres (before it starts to become excess dimensions) and it will be the width that becomes the sticking point quicker then the length.

Regards, Kerry.

Kerry is this your boat?

Daz

Kerry
11-06-2007, 07:07 PM
The killer is when one gets over 4.5 tonne as then all the rules, regulations (and real brakes) really start to kick in.

Anyway gelsec that would be discrimination wouldn't it :) if ya couldn't park your boat trailer in the space provided.

The biggest "trailer boat" I've seen launched and retrieved at a ramp was a couple of 85 feet tinnie's :)

Daz, No not mine. That one comes from Tassie.

rat_catcher
11-06-2007, 09:51 PM
When you are towing 3+ tonne, you really know you have it behind you, so not really suitable for long distance / heavy traffic towing.
I just towed a Signature 702L almost 1,000km yesterday with a 100 Series Landcruiser and I was surprised how easy it was. This was my first long distance heavy load tow and it was all remarkably underwhelming. I had myself psyched up for how hard it was going to be and it went like a dream.

Noelm
12-06-2007, 09:13 AM
towing most anything is a 'deam" when all is going as it should, but get a couple of tonne on the trailer, then throw in a shagged wheel bearing or a blown tyre, or maybe even a wheel coming off because of broken wheel studs, or the need to REALLY stop because of emergency, then the dream soon becomes closer to a nightmare, but we all "get over it" and tackle it all again.

Fish Guts
12-06-2007, 10:32 AM
... ......

Astro
12-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Ive seen a big cat (26-28ft) being put into a trailer up at noosa heads, very similar like the pic above, identical trailer and they pulled it out of the ramp and towed it with a landcruiser 100series, would think they were local and didnt have to drive very far? Was impressive to see how big the boat was compared to the cruiser, i would have thought the cruiser was gonna go streight into the sink once the boat was on the trailer.

dfox
12-06-2007, 07:35 PM
We built this setup and had it all inspected and approved for a several kilometer trip too and from the ramp in daylight hours.
It has waterproofed semi trailer maxi brakes and hydraulic ram's fitted to the front to lift and tilt the trailer for launching and retrieve.
It requires flashing lights, wide load signs and a pilot vehicle.
It's now over ten years old and works as good as the day it was made, the boat is 10 meters long and as for overall wieght, lets just say its heavy ...foxy

Deiter
12-06-2007, 08:36 PM
It's now over ten years old and works as good as the day it was made, the boat is 10 meters long and as for overall wieght, lets just say its heavy ...foxy

No sh!t!!!!
That looks like a pretty shallow ramp too (not much gradient) - how wet does the tractor have to get to launch that baby???

I like the 44gal counterweight

Damo

rat_catcher
12-06-2007, 09:50 PM
......throw in a shagged wheel bearing or a blown tyre, or maybe even a wheel coming off because of broken wheel studs, or the need to REALLY stop because of emergency, then the dream soon becomes closer to a nightmare.......
This is all true, but I would think any of this happening to a 2 tonne rig is no better than it happening to a 3 tonne rig.

My point is that I found it easier and less stressful than I thought it would be, given all of the reading I had done about towing large boats.

dfox
13-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Damo, it needs a couple of feet of water to float, heres a pic that best shows...

Smithy
13-06-2007, 06:50 PM
So Rat Catcher which one did you go for? The L or the SB? Do a test ride?

rat_catcher
14-06-2007, 07:43 PM
So Rat Catcher which one did you go for? The L or the SB? Do a test ride?
We ended up choosing the 702L with the Suzuki DF250.

Picked it up on Sunday and now have a few jobs to do before we use it, but yes I did do a test ride off Newcastle out of Swansea Bar and was very impressed.

The biggest drawback of the 702SB for me was that I could not stand up straight at the helm. With the raised bridgedeck, the bimini and steering wheel are a lot lower on the SB. It was perfect sitting down, but if I had to stand up and drive I would be hunched over, which I did not think I could live with. So we chose the 702L and are now working on a few small issues to make it 100% ready to go.

Had it in the local river here yesterday giving it a run to test things. Now the wheels are off getting powder coated and new tires fitted and it is in for an ECM change with the local Suzuki dealer which is a warranty/recall that was supposed to be done but hasn't been. Suzuki transferred the warranty into my name with no questions asked and have shipped the ECM to my local dealer.

I have the next two weeks off work and am looking forward to putting some hours on the rig whilst chasing some Spaniards.