PDA

View Full Version : stupid people

insideout
10-06-2007, 08:29 PM
:hammer: Just got back from some snapper fishing on the arti here in hervey bay, and, being night time ,the stupid people are out and about, with not a light on there boats.I wonder how , season after season, there is not more accidents around here. If you are one of these people, and reading this post, GET SOME LIGHTS ON YOUR BOAT!!!!! EVEN IF ITS A $2 JOB FROM A DISCOUNT WAREHOUSE!! I dont particuarly want to run you over in the middle of the night.
Just wondering if this is as much of a problem elsewhere, and if you are visiting our neck of the woods, do please be vigilant when traveling at night!!

Big_unit
10-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Geez thats a dumb thing to do in that area ( or any area really ) especially with some of the big vessels that go through that spot at night it really is a wonder someone doesnt get pole axed.

At least ya got home in one piece, although if its was the Kevlacat it would have just been a speed bump.

Cheers
James

longtail
10-06-2007, 08:46 PM
those same stupid people were doing this 2 years ago when i was living in the bay , nearly drilled these idiots one time at moon point in a tinny :o only missed them cause they started waving a torch at me:o

same problem down here mate , have had a few close calls around the 'pin and broadwater . now i don't do anymore than 15knots at night , takes a long time to get anywhere but at least you have a better chance of seeing unlit boats::)

Jason.

morto
10-06-2007, 09:33 PM
mate fair dinkum the idiots are out tonight in the broadie- no lights and no idea!

shaman
10-06-2007, 09:37 PM
The pin would be the worst, not only parked with no anchor lights they rip around full tilt with no nav lights either............. even on the dark, the corkheads

-spiro-
10-06-2007, 10:11 PM
We almost cleand one up 45klm offshore one night. Lucky he heard us then started turning lights on and flashing a torch. The thing is there playing with your safety to. I ain't keen on swimming with the sharks.

Feral
10-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Rules are a bit funny though dont forget, unregistered (row) boats / small sailing boats dont have to show lights, only have to have one to "signal with if you get close".

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Navigation_lights/

One could be kind and say the gentleman you encountered might have been in that class Longtail (although I very much doubt it!)

Mind you I'd reckon you would be a mug to do that.

Even when I was a kid, when a mate and I were fishing in an 8 foot sabot in Aquarium passage, (paddle powered) we hung a kero lantern on a pole wedged into the keel slot. Cost about $3 then for the lantern with about 10c worth of kero for the night. (Mum never missed the broom stick) I doubt the cost would have gone up bugger all for that setup today!

onerabbit
10-06-2007, 11:07 PM
C'mon guys, I was run down by 5.5 tonnes of 'cat at 7.40 in the morning just a few weeks a go ,

what chance do you have in the dark with a torch...............................

Muzz

Feral
10-06-2007, 11:11 PM
ouch, sounds like you had a lucky escape there onerabbit!

charleville
11-06-2007, 01:51 AM
Yep - that is my pet hate about night fishing at the 'Pin, Green Island and Mud Islands. >:( >:( >:(

seatime
11-06-2007, 06:41 AM
It's not only between sunset and sunrise that lights have to be exhibited, but also in times of restricted visibility, which can occur in daylight when there's rain or fog, etc.
So why can you buy a boat, like a small tinnie, that doesn't have lights fitted? These boats might not have electrics fitted, though you can use disposable battery powered nav lights. There are boaties who are simply not aware of the dangers, and some who seem to enjoy operating in stealth mode.
Unfortunately, having lights fitted doesn't ensure they will be switched on when they need to be.
Maybe after a few accidents and when the body count starts rising we'll see some more enforcement.

Far side
11-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Yesterday did a bit of travelling and was fishing up the inside of south straddie on the wrong side of a red marker on a sand bank for flattie
Old mate came up the channel thought i was on the right side of the marker went outside of me even further into the sand bank and really slowed down quickly.
Honest mistake I guess Red and green sometimes look the same.
With respect to the rest of the day at the pin and in the bay I really didn't see anyone doing anything stupid. "even the jetskiers were sensible"

of course this is only a 6 hour window

I forgot I did see 2 guys going out in a tinnie through the jumpin pin bar brave but they got through must have known what they were doing

snasman
11-06-2007, 11:39 AM
I nearly cleaned up a clown a few weeks back at the pine about 9.00 o clock he was anchored in the middle of the channel and alerted me by flicking his cigarette lighter when I was nearly on top of him,I heard him throughout the night going flat out everywhere,morons

onerabbit
11-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Hey Feral,

Have a look at this thread. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=110529

Muzz

PinHead
11-06-2007, 04:36 PM
some need to have a rear vision in their boat or at least learn to have a look behind them regularly.

shaman
11-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Know what u mean Pinhead, I used to have a cruiser and these boofheads in their smaller boats would sit right in the guts of the channel and you had to give 'em a blast on the horn so they would give you a bit of room, then you felt like an a'hole after tooting them. Not so bad in a smaller boat as you can manouver around them....... was having a look at the broadie today and omg I wouldn't have ventured out into that s'fight. Looked a bit like the main street of Bangkok..
Actually it reminded me of that Bruce Willis movie when he was driving a space-taxi, the one with that skinny hot chick with the russian name......

PinHead
11-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Shaman...I had a tinny pass us today on the way home...overtook me then dropped in the front of me..not a problem there...but then a large boat came along and so the tinny driver slows down to go through the wash...not even a glance over his shoulder to see where we were.

shaman
11-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah and if you went to close to him you would be labelled a stuck-up rich pr!ck in your flash cruiser. One thing worse than an arrogant, careless, stuck-up rich dude in his cruiser and that's a wombat green with envy tinnie twin-head who thinks we get our luxuries handed to us on a platter.

Trevor2
12-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Travelling and drifting around on the reefs just outside Cape Moreton a couple of weeks ago I was very suprised, annoyed (and glad in one sense) to notice a 5.5-6m boat without lights anchored. We passed about 30m from him. Grrr!! A few other boats came around and after about an 30mins he eventually put on an anchor light. There would have been no way they could have seen anyone coming on the blind side.

Same night on the way home about 2pm passed another anchored just inside Pumistone passage. Regrettable we find them in the passage regularly. You can almost count on one every couple of outings in here. Once I almost got one, gave me, and him I hope, a severe fright.

We never travelled fast at night. However, I have slowed down even more in the last couple of years.

Seems to be an all too common occurence. Some seemingly just use torches, some have very ineffective lighting. Deserves a very severe fine in my oponion. Don't know if the boys in blue do any night runs to catch those who don't have lights? I would like to see them do it regularly.

Kind regards Trevor