PDA

View Full Version : Tailor

reelchippy
09-06-2007, 05:16 PM
What can you do with tailor

sleepygreg
11-06-2007, 01:50 AM
Fresh Tailor under the grill.....basted with a mixture of soy,ginger and garlic......absolutely brilliant. I used to do this for brekky after the early morning sessions when i was living down south. I wouldnt bother with em if they have been frozen tho.....definitely a fish that has to be FRESH!

Greg

Raesen
11-06-2007, 06:04 AM
Fresh only. Lightly dusted with flour and shallow pan fried in butter. Salt and cracked pepper and lemon juice squeezed over.

JewseeTHAT
11-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Bleed them as you catch them, get them on ice asap.
Frozen is fine, just don't thaw them out before you cook them or they go soft.
Fillets on the barby are the second best way of eating them.

Smoking them is without doubt THE best way to enjoy them.

As a bonus the heads make deadly jew baits when they're fresh.

mylestom
12-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Their not as bad as some people make out, a lot of fisherman have tailor as one of their favourite beach fish.

Bleed and gill as soon as caught, dig/scoop hole in beach down to wet sand and place tailor head first in hole in drain all blood.

Fillet and skin within the hour, place on paper towel on plate covered with glad wrap in fridge. Can be eaten as above response, but just a little butter with fillets is fine.

Most of the old timer reckon 12 to 24 hours in fridge and they are superb. Would have to agree.

Yes their are better fish in the sea, but they are nice on the chew.

A lot of bad eating fish can be put down to bad handling.

My better half used to cook a whole tailor, stuffed with orange saffron rice. That was a really nice meal. But lost the recipe in one of our many moves.

Enjoy

Trevor

fish_a_holic
13-06-2007, 01:08 PM
I'd have to agree with smoking them - or try filleting and skinning and making into thai fish cakes yummo!

reelchippy
13-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the ideas would be nice if they could hit town in bigger numbers cheers

beachie
15-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Tailor Fillets with a poached agg and holendaise sauce.
Get everything ready just before you start to cook.

coat the fillets in a mix of flour and lemon pepper seasoning, fry in butter slowly while making sauce.

Hollendaise- 2 egg yolks(put whites aside), 1tbs water, juice 1 lemon, 120gms butter(about size of 2 eggs).
Put a saucepan of water on simmer and put a bowl over it. Put yolks, water and lemon juice in bowl and whisk. When yolk thickens add butter slowly, whisking all the time until all butter is used.
Beat up whites until soft peaks form and fold into sauce once complete to lighten and fill up.
Poach your egg with vinegar in a saucepan, creating a whirl pool with your whisk. Serve with crunchy bread a healthy helping of sauce over the eggs and fish.

A quick saute of fresh asparagus is also nice.

Not the healthiest, nut Yummmmmmmmmy.

Adam

zak job lo
19-07-2007, 12:38 AM
fillet and bbq. fantastic!

timddo
20-07-2007, 10:46 AM
microwave whole and dip with soy and lemon juice

great when fresh , 5 min in the microwave.

cameron walker
15-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Just another fish that gets a bad wrap from people who dont take care of there catch.My favourite is on the bb or cold smoked and put in a NZ smoked fish pie.;D

Timfishin4fun
23-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Fresh tailor, yummy. I fillet then skin and chop into cubes breadcrumb with your fav herbs or spices and deep fry for 30 secs or so depending on the size. These are tops.