PDA

View Full Version : Trailable Boat Covers

Goodoochaser
09-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Hi every one.

The time of year has come around to mothball the boat for the winter(I can feel the depression already :(), for me this means moving the boat out of the shed into the open to make way for the 4x4 so I don't have to scrape ice from the windscreen every morning. (live near Stanthorpe)

In the past I have used a large poly tarp ( pain in the bum, ever tried gift wrapping a boat).

Question is, what off the shelf boat cover preferably trailable would you recommend or have tried. I would like something easy to fit and remove (Still got to go fishing when ever the conditions permit) and is water proof.

The boat is a 4.2 Stessco RV powered by a 30hp tiller steer Mercury. It has rails fore and aft and a bow mounted Ripe tide Auto pilot electric motor. The electric when folded back for trasport sits under the bow rail and the motor and prop does not protrude far outside the line of the boat.

The other option is a custom made cover, any recommendations to who can do this? Brisbane Gold Coast area not a problem for me and any idea of prices of ready made compared to custom made.

I look forward to your views and thanks in advance.

Howard.

"Goodoochaser"

Fish Guts
09-06-2007, 12:49 PM
think its so much better with a nice custom cover. did a run around to a heap of trimmers and canopy makers around Brisbane and found the most value for money at Brisbane boat trim at Brendale. Probably one of the few marine detailers that doesnt charge like a wounded bull, and the quality of the job is A1. have had a heap of trimming done there and cant go past them.

Goodoochaser
09-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Fish Guts,

Got to agree the custom covers look nice and I will follow your recommendation and check out the Brendale lead. Thanks for your view.

Sometimes one has to be practical cost wise, for the best part of the year the boat is under cover and in use 2 or 3 times a week. Each year we go off on a camping trip maybe 2 or 3 times and would require a trailable cover to protect the bulky but light gear stored in the boat then there is the winter thing.

I would therefore like to hear some thoughts from people in a similar situation using off the shelf covers.

Howard.

mako101
09-06-2007, 06:44 PM
I am about to buy a cover for my V-sea.
I have found a few waterproof and a few other water resistant types trailerable and not.
I am gessing the waterproof and trailerable ones are best and around the $100 mark, the others are cheaper.
Waterproof could possibly cause mould though I guess.
Custom covers I would think be around the same maybe more than a ute tonneau which would be around $300.
I`m interested to hear other views also before I buy one.
Then there is a problem of fading over time and material deteriorating, which means I will probably go for a good cheap cover and just replace it every couple years.

Chris 55
09-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Just got one off Ebay
600D towable cover 4.2-4.8 mt
was $75.00 couriered to my door
check the link might be what your after
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300117008833&rd=1&rd=1

Marlin_Mike
09-06-2007, 08:04 PM
i had a look at quite a few off the shelf covr for my C/console. Frankly, they suck..................... dont fit, dont seem waterproof, cheap material, and again, a very lousy fit. wouldnt buy off the shelf. I'll wait till i can afford a custom cover

Mike

Goodoochaser
10-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Cris 55.

I would like to hear more on the one you just got once you have had a go at fitting it. I had a look at the link you provided and the picture of the boat fitted with one looks pretty much what I am after. Whats the material and general quality like ? Thanks

mako 101,

Thanks for your views also, hope you get some help from the thread. Your remark about mould was interesting and would seem valid, I would imagine a custom fitted cover if water proof would be suspect to creating mould also, maybe even worse as it would seal better. Has any one struck this problem?

Like you I think I would be happy to replace an off the shelf cover every 2 or 3 years although as I pointed out the use my cover would get would most likely see it last a lot longer therefore I am leaning towards the off shelf rather than a custom made.

Cheers

Howard.

Sea-Dog
10-06-2007, 09:53 PM
What about a trip down to your local transport depot and ask if they have any old retired tarps they will sell you?

Sniper
11-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Spend the extra and get one custom made. Tried a few off the shelf ones for my last boat and none would fit properly cause of the electric motor. Plus the quality was crap. Was lucky enough that the rig I just purchased had a custom made tralierable cover. Thanks Chris. Great cover. Just need someone to take it off and put it on for me. lol
Cheers
Billyboy

mattyd
21-05-2008, 09:56 AM
**CUSTOM BOAT COVER REQUIRED**

Hi folks - was going to open a new post...but may as well use this one!

I need a recommendation on someone who can make me a custom canvas / tonneau cover for a 5.3m Freedom Escape glass boat I'll be buying soon (90HP ETEC on the back).

The thread above mentions Brisbane Boat Trim, but I don't think they're around anymore :(

We were hoping to get a cover to protect the interior, but might also include covering the bow for stone chips etc whilst on the road.

Any local Brisbane manufacturers you can suggest would be great.

Thanks.

Gary Crook
24-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Try Rowland Street Boat Trimmers at Slacks Creek. The covers they make look as if the boat grew into them. Top quality.