PDA

View Full Version : the kindness of tackleshops

Davemclean
08-06-2007, 11:36 PM
I went to a local shop, enquiring about cheap but decent braid, and the manager is gonna re-spool my spin fishing reel with 30lb braid, all for the princeley sum of, hang on, get the conversion right, lol, of $18 :D

you don't get that kind of service from the internet, lol, anyone else had anything like this done for them, special deals or anything?

warrior1
09-06-2007, 12:38 AM
i did at bcf lawnton,brought trynos reel ,daiwa grandwave rod.they gave me shimano reel bag,300mt of braid with backing and put it on plus gave me 5% more off already discounted price.

Davemclean
09-06-2007, 01:01 AM
jjez, that's sounds a good deal warrior mate :D

warrior1
09-06-2007, 01:21 AM
it was buddy but handbrake still didn,t think so ha ha ha

Davemclean
09-06-2007, 01:47 AM
hahahaaaa, I usually find that mentioning how much it would of cost if al lthe extras were at full price, is a good way of getting into good books, as it shows you got you moneies worth, lol

Noelm
09-06-2007, 08:03 AM
thats why I ALWAYS whinge about people getting stuff from the big, uncaring, unhelpfull multi nationals, just go to your local and get looked after for years to come.

jackmangrove
09-06-2007, 09:28 AM
I have a pretty good local shop....well set out and always stocked up. I took 3 rods down to them to have them rebound al with new runners. When I went back to pick up the rods one of the fellas tried to give me someone elses rod. I told him over and over it wasn`t mine but he wouldn`t have a bar of it. So anyways seeing as I wasn`t getting past his pure ignorace, I just said yep gimme that rod buddy I`ll take it.....it`s better than the one I bought here to start with anyway. So in a way I get the last laugh, although I can`t help but feel for the other bloke who must have had the same argument when he came back to pick his up. Needless to say I don`t shop there now on principle.....well at least I refuse to until that clown finds another job. Shame coz all the other fella`s there are quality blokes.....so they lose buisness and I have to travel much further to get what I need. ::)

gone_fishing
09-06-2007, 10:19 AM
have good local tackle shops in newcastle
always willing to have a chat offer advice and look after you
might be a bit dearer on some products but the right advice the first time is priceless

BilgeBoy
09-06-2007, 12:37 PM
The guys at my local (Budds in Cleveland) are great!! They always do there best to help you, are full of great advice and have a great range of services. Yeah sure the prices are sometimes a dollar of two in the wrong direction....but I find these guys more than make up for it. Thanks guys and keep up the good work!!

BilgeBoy

shaman
09-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I used to own a bait and tackle store and let me tell ya it's no easy industry, 3am starts, struggling to keep stocks depending on availability and cranky ar$e punters who can't get what they want when they want it. Couple all this up with having your $$$$$ tied up in stock that is subject to becoming old because some of the bigger guys decide to reduce it a couple of bucks.... I sold out a lot quicker than I intended..... Your local dude needs your support and a pat on the back every so often is gold.... B.T.W I used to be in competition with Budds at Cleveland and I agree they are outstanding....

warrior1
09-06-2007, 07:01 PM
i used support my local(archies strathpine)but they shut down,now all that left in local area is bcf & ##### so might as well pit them against each other.

BLOOEY
09-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Have to agree i'd much rather support the little bloke.They go the extra mile for you most of the time and give you good advice because they themselves love fishing.Granted they are more expensive most of the time but there advice is based on experience.Ben

Davemclean
09-06-2007, 10:35 PM
yeah, my local shop is great, I got a discount, half price discount, on a rod once, because I took my sister in and she told him it was my birthday, lol, he also tends to round prices down as well, I bought a load of terminal tackle, floats, swivels, some spinners, weights, and it came up to £13.96, and he rounded it down to £13, a small gesture I know, but one that strengthens my fondness for that shop and the staff