PDA

View Full Version : QL Trim Tabs

Spaniard_King
07-06-2007, 07:52 PM
I would like to hear from anyone running these, nice to hear it from someone first hand rather than from a saleman.

http://www.qlmarine.com/ql.asp

tried posting the pdf but its too big::)

cheers and thanks

Garry

captain rednut
07-06-2007, 08:34 PM
hi mate i have Ql,s on my patriot 680 h/h they are wild and most people cant believe how affective they are and they are the 300 mm long set and boat weighs 2730kgs thanks hope this helps jim

snappa
08-06-2007, 01:16 AM
capt...

do they keep the bow down in broken water...
i know the tabs [plate] do a great job keeping the bow down when travelling in sloppy conditions makeing the ride MORE enjoyable....

these would suit me better than the others,,,, fitting is a problem with the hydro arms....

peterbo3
08-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Hi Gary,
Col is putting the QLs on a lot of new Fishers. I went for a test ride in a boat fitted with them & they worked quite well. My new boat will not be ready until Dec so I will make the choice between the QLs & the Bennett tabs closer to the finish date.

FNQCairns
08-06-2007, 11:33 AM
I have searched a few times in the past for a diagram of these but have had no luck- almost secretive:( . I assume they are not plates that pivot but a plate that raises and lowers at 90deg to the horison???? If anyone knows?

cheers fnq

Getout
08-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Same here FNQ. I fitted bennetts because I couldn't find user info about QL. They are electrically operated vertical plates.

FNQCairns
08-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Cool Getout, thanks for that I have almost finished making a crude manual set for my boat, it was the only design that I could dream up for a setback pod where the trailing edge raises out of the water at speed but needed force when traveling slower and submerged to control nose up.

Those QLs will be more efficient than tabs then, although I would expect a single set of tabs will give far more max force if needed than these QLs, width for width.

cheers fnq

mirage
08-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Gday Guys, I installed a set on my 6.4m Freedom Seasport GRP boat because if it came off the top of a swell the bow slapped down quite hard. It has made the ride significantly better.
They were reasonably simple to fit but you do need access directly behind them so I had to cut access holes in the floor and installed spinout hatches on them.
The system is brilliantly simple to operate. The two tabs are electonically connected so they operate in unison. The control panel on the helm has 4 buttons. Bow up/down and boat left/right. little lights indicate the position each tab is in. I found to be effective I only use them 2 or at most 3 notches down. I think fully extended is on light 9 but have never needed this position so they are quite effective for very little downward travel.
The main reason I got them was the fold down boarding ladder would have hit bennets tabs and so would not be able to be used. Now that they are on I'm very happy with em.

Cheers

Spaniard_King
08-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys,

just the sort of info I was hoping for, very hard to take a salesmans view seriously these days. Ordered a set this arvy:D

cheers

Garry

dnej
08-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Garry,
What price were they
David

Spaniard_King
08-06-2007, 06:41 PM
David,

$9 hungy

Garry

dnej
08-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks....... I think Garry
David

Smithy
08-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Did you get quote on the equivalent Bennetts or Lencos? What were they going to be? Sounds all good in QL land. Yet to use any myself but seen them on a couple of boats up close in the flesh.

Spaniard_King
08-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi Smithy,

They are going to be recessed into a pod which is being built for a Haines 213c(full waterline length pod) Had the chance to get them recessed so we did. Will post some pics when we get the boat back. They will take away some of the chance of fouling a fishing line around a tab IMO.

cheers

Garry

captain rednut
09-06-2007, 08:23 AM
hi garry i believe Qls are more affective than traditional plate style as my second boat is a h/h 233 formula with bennetts and theres no comparison Qls are more responsive and no spray and much quicker and easier to use and install and they cant cut off your line which is the main advantage its hard to beleive they work looking at them and mine cost $700 make sure you shop around also ive seen the same ones for $850 good luck hope you like them thanks, jim

Smithy
09-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Has anyone else got recent quotes on Lencos or Bennetts, both from here and overseas?

garpe1
09-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi Smithy
I have just bought a set of M120 for $675(Glasscraft,Brisbane). not sure if this was a great deal but couln't find them cheaper.
Cheers PG

marco
09-06-2007, 02:37 PM
has anyone fitted the ql tabs on a 625 outsider , im curious as access behind the transome is restricted by foam filled floor , so im looking for ideas

cheers

ozscott
09-06-2007, 06:58 PM
I got the same as Garp1 about a year ago at Glascraft - about the same price from memory - fantastic gear. My actuators were too long to clear by duck board and I had them swapped for shorter ones within a day or 2.

Clyde
15-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Garry,
My old man has these fitted to his new 6m Fisher and they appear to work very well (not ever having used a boat with tabs before). What is so good is that they are a tidy unit that do not get in the way. Very easy to use.

Regards,
Clyde

Nowahh
19-06-2010, 05:02 PM
G'day Captain rednut, Can you tell me where you bought them. I have been looking around and the best price I have found is $1,000

captain rednut
19-06-2010, 10:19 PM
G'day Captain rednut, Can you tell me where you bought them. I have been looking around and the best price I have found is $1,000HEY NOWAHH
i PUT THIS POST ON THREE YEARS AGO WHEN THEY WERE AFFORDABLE.
cheers jim

Daisy Burnett
20-06-2010, 09:08 AM
G'day Captain rednut, Can you tell me where you bought them. I have been looking around and the best price I have found is $1,000

$1000 is pretty good nowadays. Ive seen them for $1300

Alchemy
20-06-2010, 09:46 AM
I imported a pair of 450mm QL tabs in March and they were $980 delivered to Brisbane. The price for the 300mm tabs was $940. PM me if you want to know who supplied them.

fairpractice
20-06-2010, 03:34 PM
HI. importing any sort of tabs is the way to go. ##### imports in new york landed a set of lectro tabs with alloy trim tabs under $1000. Check out factory barcrushers, they are using lectro tabs and their own alloy tabs. seems a good idea for electrolysis prevention. i.e. stainless on glass/plastic and alloy on plate. Mine work really well and don't have hydraulics to worry about. Q L. tabs nees a 50mm hole through transon mine have none. good at trimming nose into chop. rgds john

dnej
20-06-2010, 03:50 PM
fairpractice, do you have any pics handy you could post
David