PDA

View Full Version : Rockfishing Boots

bordeaaj
07-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi guys, I usually use zip-up neoprene felt-soled fishing boots while rock fishing. This year I was looking for the zip-up version with spikes for even more grip but can't find them anywhere. The closest I could find are these Adrenalin Rock Spikes which are sold out Bluewater Tackle in Australia (they don't seem to be available here in the US). They have rubber soles with steel spikes for gripping slippery, slimy surfaces which doesn't seem as good as felt with spikes. Has anyone used these and if so, how do they compare with felt-soles on rock? Also, if anyone knows where to get these with felt-soles and spikes be sure to let me know! Thanks,
Andy

Adrenalin Rock Spikes
http://www.caranx.net/rockspike01.jpg
What I Usually Use
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/81/06/36/i810636sq02.jpg

plugger43
07-06-2007, 04:06 PM
mate i use those when fishing for blackfish the are great a old blackfisherman put me on to them

rockfisho
07-06-2007, 04:55 PM
hi mate.

Rockshoes... Well it really depends on what type of rockfishing you intend to do. These boots are really only appropriate on the slimy and slippery surfaces; the wet surfaces covered with weed. These are very bad on dry surfaces as the spikes will grab small nooks and holes and will trip you up if you're not too careful. For the dry rockfishing sandshoes are best.

I use the Kaydee sandal, which is PVC, it can be used on both surfaces, but i tend to wear it on wet surfaces more often.

rockfisho

barkers creek
07-06-2007, 06:58 PM
lol this mite sound abit stupid bit i just us reef walkers lol
but no i seen wat you use ill have to get me a pair ;D
cheers nath

Ozie_3
21-02-2010, 11:23 AM
i was rock fishing up the sunny coast last week and was thinking my puma sneekers were not the best grip (a bit slippery actually) and have just been looking for something better.. found the adrenalin at b*f on line and did a search here and this old '07 post was the best outa 3....so instead of starting a new thread...

was wondering if anyone can update me on the best/better options... they also had some water draining shoes by shimano(i think) but dont have spikes...

back in the '60s they screwed bottle caps to plastic sandle soles...

all help is appreciated...thanks in advance

cheers chris

sleepygreg
22-02-2010, 12:12 AM
I use the Kaydees, with S/s self tappers screwed in to every second pimple on the sole. Cheap as chips and works well on the wet platforms. If your fishing dry platforms, then the good old dunlop volleys work as well as anything (though my retired runners also get the gong for them as well...with a bit more ankle support).

They didnt have all these fancy boots when i started rockfishing, so i guess I havent moved with the times.

Greg

the baker
22-02-2010, 12:48 AM
I have used the rock spikes before and I loved them on wet or dry surfaces they do take a little getting used to but you just take your time on the rocks (lift your feet) so you don't hurt yourself they do provide top grip make sure you give them a good wash out when done and allow to dry keep them in well ventilated spot (out of the sun). I used to climb with these boot on to get to some of the spots to fish they do fit well

DO SOME GOOD RESEARCH ON YOUR FOOT WEAR IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE ON THE ROCKS they are like the tyres on your car

have a look for MIRAGE ROCKHOPPERS same thing as what you are looking there about $70-$80AU

Dave.

popgun19
22-02-2010, 03:49 PM
try Anaconda, I am sure they sell the rock spikes

pommy
22-02-2010, 09:04 PM
On my second pair of Mirage Rockhoppers with tungsten spikes.

The first pair were great and lasted 18 months but were just tested out on "normal" rock.

After climbing round the shattered basalt rocks at Lennox Point for 6 months the second pair are almost stuffed.

Toes and heels are well worn, as would be expected but the inner and outer rows of studs have pushed up through the sole on each boot.

Not too uncomfortable, when worm with thick sock but less grip.

For work on sharp, newly broken rock like this a lot of damage is to be expected but not this.

Deepfried uses training shoes but can't go as close to the water's edge as I can with the spikes.

Regards, Rob.

Ozie_3
25-02-2010, 07:56 PM
BCF on line have them(adrenalin) but not in the stores so you cant try them on for size etc...

Anaconda did have mirage rockhoppers but not at the moment.... maybe in a couple of weeks...

will try the other sports store starting with a... tomorrow...
on line there are a few outlets... but size fitting again...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Greg, those selftappers are sounding good at the moment.... atleast for a stopgap...do you screw them from sole up or innersole dowm... (points in or out )

thanks for all the input guys
cheers chris

Ozie_3
13-05-2010, 02:13 PM
just an update for anyone searching this....

ordered a pair of mirage rockhoppers last sunday from scuba doctor (in perth) on line for $78.95 + $12.50 postage...they arrived today (thursday) and look and fit great... trying them out at coolum on weekend, hopefully will have a report on the fishing :)

bondy99
13-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks, to all thjose who commented upon rock boots as I'm also searching for good rockboots. Thanks to Chris for his online search. I'll also order a pair.

Cheers

rando
14-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Ive been using the adrenaline boots for several years on both wet and dry surfaces ,,,, cant fault them.
I seem to remember they have a lifetime guarantee of some sort. I cant now remember whether it is for the cleats, zipper the uppers or the sole.But something is guaranteed for life.
I havent used the felt type so i cant compare.

sleepygreg
15-05-2010, 01:20 AM
chris (and others contemplating similar cheap skate alternatives like me) they are screwed up into the nodules...hence the short length. Cheap enough to replace when they get worn down. Used to go through a set a season (self tappers that is). cost of about $6.

Greg

Ozie_3
16-05-2010, 06:03 PM
boots worked great.... but no fish so no report....lol