PDA

View Full Version : Sarca anchors

stick
07-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Before forking out the considerable $ for a sarca style anchor can anyone tell me their performance and supossed ability to pull off hard bottom. Allround anchor is a big claim.

juju
07-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Ive read some good things about them, but they are $$$$ and dont forget the bow mount as well its not cheap either.......have a look on"fishnet" there was a few threads on there about them

revs57
07-06-2007, 05:56 PM
G'day Stick,

I'm very impressed with mine, used it exclusively over the past couple of years and 200hours on the boat.. Had it stuck hard a couple of times but with some careful maneavouring I've always been able to get it back. It pulls up reliably and enables you to drop and hold right on the spot when you need to.

If I lose it I'll get another...worth the bucks IMO

Cheers

rhys

samson
07-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Yeah good anchors heavy though with all that chain had them buried plenty of times but got them back untill last week couldn't budge it i'd say the chain got caught in the reef lost the lot already got the new one worth every penny if you want to fish little lumps in the middle of nowhere surrounded by flat ground you can't go wrong, just got two made for spares a lot cheeper cost 50 bucks each.

Trout_Boy
07-06-2007, 06:22 PM
yes agree with the boys above worth every cent.i use a ball to pull it up it works great.

seatime
08-06-2007, 06:30 AM
They will lift off the bottom quite well when using the drive-over method combined with a retrieval buoy. I have a Sarca #2, and use a large SS split ring supplied by member "capt" on the anchor buoy. It works a treat, the retrieval process has seen the Sarca floating under the buoy each time (use large buoy). Follow the guide for each size anchor using the correct size SS D shackle to slide on the shank, and they will lift out by the crown when you drive over them, no need to use zip ties or other tripping methods.

regards
Steve

Mr__Bean
08-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Strongly recommend that you do go and get a sarca anchor with a long chain attached.

Whilst they are only a relatively small contribution, we need all the artificial reef we can get out there.

- Darren

:D :D :D :D :D

stick
08-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks fellas,just sick of pulling from sand into reef and the like . Lot of cables in the muddy harbour jew spots to . Will be used with a side anchoring system out of an old 20' bertram. 20 ltr acid drum 1/2 mtr rope and heavy duty clip make great dam buoys

dnej
08-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Steve,
Where did you get the info on the correct size shackles?
Its sure is important,otherwise the shackle is too small,it can end up moving through the side of the slide.
I was not given any advice on this, but worked it out my self.
David

seatime
08-06-2007, 05:36 PM
David,
when I picked my anchor there was a Sarca ready reckoner card hanging off the wall, from memory a #2 required a 10mm SS shackle, very important it's stainless, galvanised shackles are too daggy and may catch when you want them to slide.

cheers
Steve

littlejim
08-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Stick,

like Sampson and Mr Bean I've had to leave a couple of anchors on the bottom, not because of the design of the anchor, but because the chain got caught. if the chain gets caught it doesn't matter what the design of the anchor is, you're stuffed. That's why I use the cheapest reef anchor I can buy not something expensive like the sarka. However might be nice to own one up to the first cut off.
By the way because of these experiences I don't follow Col Buckley's(?) recommendation of pulling the anchor up from the stern.

revs57
09-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Good point Jim,

I'd reckon pulling any anchor in a drive off from the stern cleat is just asking for trouble, anchor stuck, rear side of boat down and under, 1000's gals of water in the boat in a matter of a split sec...too late to cut the anchor rope then.

As Steve said, using the lift buoy with the right hardware for sliding shackle takes all the pain out of retrieval, but I always pull mine from the bow bollard and over the top. The times she's been stuck, and as Jim said, it was probably the anchor chain stuck, I let out another 30-50 mts of rope to increase the stretch, tension and radius and to change the angle, and do circles at the outer extremity of the radius keeping the pressure on, first one way, then the next until it pops and then drive off with it still connected to the bow bollard. This technique has worked on the few occasions I have had difficulty so far.

Cheers

rhys

revs57
09-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Oh one other thing, once it was the anchor that got stuck, when I pulled it up, the main shaft where the shackle slides was bent quite a bit. It is was very easy to reshape it to work again for the next drop

Cheers

rhys

Alchemy
09-06-2007, 10:22 AM
I had a #3 SARCA, but now it's in about 70m east of Mooloolaba. Worked a treat till that point though.

Went to buy another, but was talked into a Manson Supreme. Same idea as the SARCA but a lot cheaper. Also rated by Lloyds as "super high holding power", where I believe the SARCA is rated as "high holding power". Paid $170 for my first, which was stolen from the bowsprit in my front yard! Went straight back to Glascraft in Fortitude Valley and got another. Had gone up to $205, plus $11 delivery.

Physically the Manson is smaller than the #3 SARCA, but it seems to hold just as well. The smaller size makes it easier to stow and lighter to handle too.

Was going to post link, but filter is stopping that. Just search for Glascraft Marine, search under products, anchors and I thinks its on page 4.

Regards,
Dave.

Mr__Bean
11-06-2007, 04:39 AM
Posted on another site yesterday:

http://www.fishnet.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70718&f=8

- Darren

Craig Smith
15-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi all,

Just some directions to independent testing and results.

Review of the SARCA (http://www.rocna.com/distributable/sarca-anchor-magazine-reviews.pdf).

About the Manson Supreme anchor (http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/manson-supreme-anchor.php).

Results of recent West Marine / SAIL / Yachting Monthly testing:

http://www.rocna.com/images/remote/wm_testing_chart_740w.jpg

Sea-Dog
16-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I just read the "test" of the Sarca anchor.

They were able to get the anchor to stand on its head, and the chain fouled the anchor.

I remember seeing a vid of the Sarca anchor at their stand at last year's Brissy boat show.

The vid showed that you could toss the anchor in, and due to its design - it swims away from the boat.

I reckon the only way to get the Sarca to stand vertically is to lower it carefully to the bottom, then just let all of your chain fall in a heap on top of it, whilst keeping your boat directly above the anchor.

Hardly world's best anchoring practice now is it?

But at least Craig is declaring his allegiances openly at the bottom of his post.

Craig Smith
16-06-2007, 01:44 PM
It's just a test, clearly that doesn't happen with every SARCA or they wouldn't sell many.

What happened to the French magazine is not that they carefully lowered the anchor like that. The shackle managed to jam half-way along the slot (very easy, I have done it myself), whereupon the anchor when pulled simply went into the position pictured, with no hope of fixing itself.

The fundamental problem with the slot is that it may work when you don't want it to. That severely compromises the security of the anchor. If you're just fishing, and not over-nighting or leaving the boat unattended (diving?), that's not such a big problem.

Sea-Dog
16-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Hey Craig, I have had a good look at the website.

Most seem very happy with the rocna anchors.

The one complaint that most make is the amount of bottom that they bring up
when retrieving the anchor.

Would Sarca-style slots on the working surface of the anchor help eliminate this problem? (I.E. slots break suction and allow mud to fall away during retrieve.)

Also can you describe the use of the front shackle hole combined with an anchor float as mentioned on website.

Cheers, Ross

Craig Smith
16-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Ross, the SARCA fluke slots don't allow the mud to drop away, they're not that large, but they are supposed to help break suction which means the anchor is more easily retrieved. This may have some utility, but anything which makes it easier to retrieve in this sense also compromises holding power.

There's an unavoidable connection between holding power and ease of retrieval (or lack of), and amount of bottom retrieved. The last thing you want is an anchor which always comes up perfectly clean; its ability to grip the bottom should be obvious!

As to the buoyed retrieval option, our User's Guide details that - it's online on the "printable information" page. Take a look at that and let me know if you still have questions.

Sea-Dog
16-06-2007, 11:35 PM
I have cut and pasted the info from the users guide pdf for others interested.
(I hope I'm not treading on any toes here)

using a buoyed retrieval line
This involves attaching a small buoy or other flotation device to the Rocna’s dedicated attachment point (see the “Overview” section) using a light rope of a length that is slightly greater than the depth of the water at high tide. The buoy will then float directly above the anchor. If attempts to retrieve the anchor in a normal fashion fail, the buoy may be picked up and the anchor lifted ‘backward’ using the retrieval line. This technique has other advantages, such as alerting other mariners to the location of your anchor, and in an emergency you may abandon your anchor temporarily, and return later under controlled conditions knowing it will be easy to find.

Thanks Craig,I had misunderstood the term buoyed retrieval line. I thought it was referring to an anchor float.

I now understand what is being referred to, and I sort of like the idea but have reservations about the "fiddlyness" of having to deal with the float line as well as the anchor rode.

Not really a problem for yachties, due to less "lets pull up the pick and move a hundred yards or so" situation, that is more common with fishos.

You certainly wouldn't mind the "fiddlyness" if you got the anchor snagged under a shelf of rock or similar situation though. Good to be able to tow it out backwards.

I do like the idea of being able to see where your anchor is too.

What diameter "buoyed retrieval line" would normally be used on the 4Kg model? (In case you need to use a bit of Oomph to pull the anchor out backwards)

samson
16-06-2007, 11:44 PM
The Rocna anchor sounds good but retreival in deep water sounds like a head ache when fishing reef theres got to be a way to retreive it other than having another anchor well full of rope just for the bouy retreival method, thats where the sarca design is hard to beat without having to use cable ties to trip the anchor so it doesn't get stuck.

Craig Smith
17-06-2007, 10:27 PM
What diameter "buoyed retrieval line" would normally be used on the 4Kg model? (In case you need to use a bit of Oomph to pull the anchor out backwards)

Say 8mm.

The Rocna anchor sounds good but retreival in deep water sounds like a head ache when fishing reef theres got to be a way to retreive it other than having another anchor well full of rope just for the bouy retreival method, thats where the sarca design is hard to beat without having to use cable ties to trip the anchor so it doesn't get stuck.

Fair point Samson but it's the only reliable way. The slotted shank idea has been used in different guises since way back (you can find Danforth types with the idea) but it hasn't taken off - for a good reason - until SARCA and their marketing. Good for them, but we don't do it, and not because we didn't think of it. The slot compromises the strength of the shank and, as you can see from the French review, "has every possibility of jamming". I.e. it might work most of the time, but if it's not 100% reliable, is it worthwhile?

One commonly used technique in other places in the world is a cable tie method where you shackle the chain itself to the trip-line attachment point, rather than the shank end. You then use a cable tie, or other breakable line, to pull the chain inline with the shank end. In normal use, the tie will hold, as it is not under stress. But, when you come to pull the anchor up, if you find yourself pulling hard upward, the tie will break and allow you to pull the anchor out a la a trip line. Works well, with no risk as with a slot, but again the fundamental problem is security - like the slot, it could work when you don't want it to. Never use overnight or with the boat unattended. Fishing, okay.