PDA

View Full Version : Hi all. Looking for help..:-)

daniel.morris
06-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Hi everyone. I am new to the Gold Coast and as with pretty much every new member here I guess, I am looking for some advice.
I am renting a house in Monterey Keys backing onto the lake/canal and was wondering what the fishing is like in there. I am guessing there is plenty of bream in there but does anyone know any more about it? I have a boat too, but just felt like walking to the bottom of the yard after work with a beer and chucking a line in. I would throw most back but may keep the odd one to eat if they were big anough and the general consensus was that they werent so polluted it would kill me....:-)
The kids want to have a crack too but I dont want them to get sick of catching nothing and lose interest. If I know what to target I can figure out the best way to fish. I also thought about giving some fly fishing a crack.
Any help would be appreciated guys.
Thanks all
Hope to post more as I learn more about the Gold Coast waterways.

wombie
06-06-2007, 06:36 PM
can't help you out mate but welcome to the site

cheers Paul

daniel.morris
07-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi Paul and thanks.
I had a good look at the lake last night and there were a heap of fish around the 30-40cm mark jumping out of the water. I couldnt make out what they were as it was dark, but the only thing I have seen swimming during the day have been bream. Granted they were small ones but with the small ones must be some bigger ones.
I think it would be a fair bet that there would be a heap of carp in there too which I will be catching and mashing!
If anyone knows anything about monterey keys I am extremely interested.
Boat goes in the water either friday or saturday! Looking forward to getting it wet with something other than rain....;D

Roughasguts
07-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Them fish that are jumping, are possibly Mullet, good luck catching them.

daniel.morris
07-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Ah, Ok. Thanks for that. I will see what I can do...lol

Jeremy
07-06-2007, 02:25 PM
second that the fsh jumpng were probably mullet. It is possible to burley them up with some bread and catch them with small hooks and light line. Good fun. Other than bream, I would guess that there might be trevally, jacks, tarpon etc. Is there an inlet where the tide flows in and out? That would be the prime spot when the tide is running in. Try a popper at night in the warmer months.

Jeremy

daniel.morris
07-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks again. I had a read about Sea Mullet and I can confirm that is what they are.
There isnt really an inlet, it has a lock. I'm not sure how they flush, but as far as I am aware there isnt really any easy way in and out.

edleigh7
12-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Try putting some bread or dough on a small hook on your fly rod and casting out. You will only get one cast with bread as it falls off pretty quick. Burley them up and in with bread. I have done this before with my kids when they were young in Narooma and they had a ball. The bad thing is you have re-bait every cast or nibble, but i had fun and so did the kids. Give it a lash for laugh!

daniel.morris
12-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks Edleigh.
It looks like Mullet is all there is in there. Fished out long ago I guess. There are some bream there, but I reckon they are either too well fed or used to keeping away from people as they just wont bite on anything.
I will give the fly fishing a go for some fun.
Thanks again

spook76
12-06-2007, 10:20 PM
g day there daniel,
kruger here monterey keys hey nice fishing in your area there i do a bit in the boat have got some big fishies on live bait like bream big big,flathead,jacks a bit quiet for them now got a nice school jew up near the habour couple of week ago but still i cant forget all of those dam CATFISH evil things then again you need your ups and downs i guess any how get ya boat goin and i see you on the water
cheers from spook!!!

daniel.morris
13-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Hey Spook,
Thanks for that, I will have to check the tides for the weekend and get into it.
My boat is probably a bit more of a ski-boat, but it is a bowrider and has heaps of deck space with a bait board on the back, so it is ok for fishing.
Its a Bayliner F17, white with blue graphics. I havent named her yet, but we have a few ideas. If you see me out there give me a yell, I could use all the help I can get.