PDA

View Full Version : rain in the dams

B_E_N
06-06-2007, 01:34 PM
hey all,
as you know wer getting some good rain and im very new to the fresh game! but i was wondering does the rain effect the fishing, i.e in the creeks (salt) that i grew up fishing in the rain would stir everything up and all you could get was dirty catfish. does the rain stir up the dam and cause the fish to switch off. ive just got some jackals to try and was mad keen to get to NPD last weekend but the rain stopped me so im going to drag the other half down there this weekend hopefully, if the rain doesnt mess things up again?
any thoughts or past experiences on rain affecting your dam fishing?

cheers

turley
06-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Rain in the dams does a couple of major things. Firstly, it floods new ground full of insects and worms etc which bass will move in and start feeding on. It will also change the temperature of the water. Finally, after a while all the newly submerged vegetation starts to die. The chemicals released from this changes the PH of the water which will again change where you find the bass.

Leigh77
06-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Normally if an impoundment gets a sharp water level increase the Bass do turn on the chew....but it could take a few days/a week/2 weeks for that to happen.

The rain runoff will cause a temp drop for a while and the fishing will not be hot! But after it all settles down a RED HOT edge bite can be the result.

Casting jackalls or spinnerbaits and looking for the reaction strike is the best approach. You can pretty sure its going to happen, you just have to be there when it does!

B_E_N
06-06-2007, 03:48 PM
thanks for the info guys. youve got me pumped in anticipation!