PDA

View Full Version : Alvey rods?

ANGLERnotDANGLER
05-06-2007, 08:36 PM
just a quick one guys,

does an alvey have to go on a rod with the reel seat set back towards the butt or can you put them on any rod and use it comfortably?
cheers

johnsonMAN
05-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Yes, as far as im aware you can, i have a 600 and a 550 and i use them on surf rods and if i am bait fishing in estuary i usually take the 550 alvey on a 6ft6 rod but i must admit when u r fishing off the beach the alvey is much much easier. put it in the sand to rig up wash it in salt water. Take it home drop in a bucket of water and put it back on the rod.
Ahh easy

banshee
05-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Apart from the low mount puting the reel in the desired position for casting it also ballances the set up through the arc of the cast,I think it would also ballance better while fishing with a low mount.I supose you could use an Alvey on a high or mid mount providing the first runner did not choke the coils of line coming off the spool by being to close or to small,if it did distance would be drasticaly reduced.

rockfisho
07-06-2007, 05:08 PM
MMM, after a good hour a big alvey on a high mount begins to get very heavy and not very confortable to operate. The low mount is designed to allow better casting for that style of reel, and allow the fisherman to fish in a relaxed position.

rockfisho