PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where specs/regs are for trailer light placement

ozscott
05-06-2007, 03:53 PM
...about to fit some submersable lights. Can anyone point me to the regulations about the placement of them....there is a requirement that you be able to see both sides within a certain distance from the back etc.

cHEERS

ozscott
05-06-2007, 03:55 PM
I am in Qld

finga
05-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Go to here and click on Number 2
http://search.dotars.gov.au/search/search.cgi?collection=Dotars&form=simple_dotars&query=information%20bulletin%20VSB1

ozscott
05-06-2007, 05:06 PM
www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safety/bulletin/pdf/vsb_01.pdf - thanks mate.

I cant see where the specs require the lights to be on the most rearward point of the trailer...I can only really mount them about 8 inches in from the transom (ie back towards the car by 8 inches) so that will have to do.

Cheers matey

finga
05-06-2007, 05:31 PM
That'll have to do unless you want to mount the lights on the boat.

SeaHunt
05-06-2007, 05:36 PM
I recently did mine Scotty, I wish I had a pic of them to post. I put them on the back of the trailer, but the boat hangs over by about 10 inches.
They used to be mounted out as wide as possible and were often getting clipped by the boat or destroyed by some of my expert backing so I mounted them just inside the trailer chassis rails, more or less under the edges of the boat.
Looks good, what type of lights did you go for?

ozscott
05-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks fellas - I went for the Submersalite which I had on my previous trailer for my old Haines V163. I had them on that and dunked them every time for 3 years - no leaks and no bulbs blowing.

I do like the new LEDs but the ones I have looked at I didnt like the mount points and they were 2.5 times dearer, and only one set I looked at had LEDs under neath for the number plate light - the rest need a seperate light!

These baby's are small, light, strong (polycarbonate lenses) and have a built in trailer light (ie under one of the parking lights as a section that is clear).

I will probably have to mount them off the swing arms for the rear 4 sets of rollers so that they will be 8-10 inches in from the transom. I will probably get some reflector tape while I am at it for the outboard (bit accross the back of it should see off the tailgaters - I tow with it up).

Cheers

ozscott
05-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I just randomly googled boat trailers in Qld - see this for example ...www.ruhletrailers.com.au/index.html...I will do the same I think rather than stick it on the swing arm...I was getting paranoid about putting on the most rearward point I could reasonable do....cheers

gone_fishing
05-06-2007, 07:13 PM
pretty sure that lights have to be mounted within a certain distance from the outer edge no more than 30 cm i think no higher than about 1.2 metres
and must be visible at approx 20 m at upto 45 deg in side to side and up directions same as number plate also if trailer is a certain length and i appologise cause i cant rember the length about 6m at a guess you need side clearence lights as well plus a couple of reflectors for good measure im in nsw but i dont think laws are that much different probably wrong
all the best

DBSRODS
05-06-2007, 07:38 PM
If you ring any RWC authorised mechanic they will have the code of conduct which is related to all roadworthy specs, just make sure he's a fisherman and you should be right.

CreelReaper
06-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Hi Ozscott,
There is a link to what you are after. The actual document is called "The National Code of Practice - Building small trailers" You should find what you are looking for at the following link http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/

Cheers

Shane

ozscott
06-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks fellas...appreciate it...will do the lights and post pics down the track.

angler1
08-06-2007, 06:00 PM
ozscott i wish i had some info when i built my trailer i was booked in gympie for a number plate not being visible from a 45 degree angle from either side of the trailer, mine was on top of the boat and visible from behind but not from the side.

angler1

finga
08-06-2007, 07:35 PM
ozscott i wish i had some info when i built my trailer i was booked in gympie for a number plate not being visible from a 45 degree angle from either side of the trailer, mine was on top of the boat and visible from behind but not from the side.

angler1
I reckon a lot (most) of boat trailers would be in the same boat as you matey if they got questioned about the lights and plate positions. (pardon the pun).
That's why I went looking because on my trailer where they had the plate it was illegal.
Pretty hard to be legal actually seeing most trailers stop a fair way off the back of the boat now-a-days and then add a motor in the way and then add a deep vee into the equation you have buckly's of seeing a plate at 45 degrees from the off side.
Nearly have to mount the bugger on the back of the motor to get it right. :-/