PDA

View Full Version : Transducer Position

Seahorse
04-06-2007, 04:39 PM
I have been having problems reading the sounder at speed. i have attached few pics showing the position of transducer ( hopfully they turn out).
Maybe someone can tell me if it looks right. At speed the reading shows 1000ft deep or there abouts.

thanks
greg

Blackened
04-06-2007, 04:44 PM
G'day

Go lower and angle the rearmost edge of the transducer down a touch.

It may take a little buggering around, but just try different positions.

Dave

Seahorse
04-06-2007, 05:02 PM
so the tranducer should be on small angle towards the water? i have mine up a little angle towards the sky. i was just wondering if it was in the right line on the hull

thanks

fez
04-06-2007, 05:07 PM
According to my instruction booklet (navman) the transducer should be installed so that the middle of the transducer is level with the bottom of the hull. I would assume that this would be about right for most sounders, mine is a combo unit so wheter this makes a difference or not. Mine is level though no angle either up or down but in my mind if you were going to angle it at all it would be down slightly.

My thoughts anyway, hope it helps.

Cheers,
Fez

Seahorse
04-06-2007, 05:35 PM
thanks, but i hear people talk about bubbles around transducer. i dint know if i should move it bit to right or left

angler1
04-06-2007, 05:41 PM
seahorse i had a little trouble with my transducer setup (humminbird matrix) and was told to lower it further than recommended and tilt it down, and eventually i got it right. only problem now is the transducer is exposed to unsuspecting logs and sandbars.

cheers angler1

Seahorse
04-06-2007, 05:45 PM
angler,
if thats the case maybe good idea to get one of those sliding transducer brackets.
how does position on hull look to u?
mine is humm matrix as well.(combo)
cheers greg

captain rednut
04-06-2007, 05:54 PM
I have been having problems reading the sounder at speed. i have attached few pics showing the position of transducer ( hopfully they turn out).
Maybe someone can tell me if it looks right. At speed the reading shows 1000ft deep or there abouts.

thanks
greg
hi mate it looks way high drop it down till hull is thru centre of tranducer thats my suggestion hope it fixs it for ya thanks jim

marco
04-06-2007, 06:06 PM
hi , i would say it looks a little high as mentioned but also it looks like the chine might create turbulance as well , maybe try centre it between the 2 chines .

the other trick is the gap from the front of the transducer to the hull , this can cause turbulance so one way is to fill the gap with that expanding foam in a can

this may help as well http://www.airmartechnology.com/airmar2005/ex20/RMProducts/DrillDown.asp?Type=FF

Seahorse
04-06-2007, 06:24 PM
thanks fellas

finding_time
04-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Much lower and more towards the centre line away from that chine!!

ian

Seahorse
04-06-2007, 07:08 PM
when u say the centre line which way do u mean. left or right looking at the pic.
ian if u also think i should go much lower then i will get a transducer bracket. i havnt taken the cover of transducer. is there any adjustments that can be made without redrilling holes.

cheers
greg

builder
04-06-2007, 07:36 PM
hi,
transducer placement should be approx 300mm from keel ,place between pressings on botom of hull and fit flush to bottom of hull..
where your tranducer is currently placed i believe would be getting air bubbles off the pressing.
kind regards builder::)

Seahorse
04-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Builder, what do u class as pressings? how would i fit it flush to bottom of hull. The bottom of trans is level with bottom of hull. On the pics should i move it left or right. This really frustrates me when on the water, cause not only does it not read correct depths at speed, it also takes a minute to read correct depth when i slow down or stop.

cheers
greg

Spaniard_King
04-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Drop it 25mm and try again, if you don't get a big improvent try moving it towards the engine but I think the tranducer bracket (boat welded one) is not the best position to mount the unit correctly for your hull

cheers

Garry

Shanoss
04-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Dont know if its just me, but when i fitted my new koden and airmar transducer, my readings were all over the place. The depth would jump around at anything over about 5mph. I was heading in from the reef one day at about 35mph and for some reason decided to wind back the gain a litlle. Got a perfect screen and depth readings now stay where they should be. It could be worth a shot to you. i tend to check the easiest things first cos i'm basically lazy

Dan5
04-06-2007, 09:11 PM
The ridges in the bottom of your hull the trancducer must be in the center of these to give it some clean water the chine is at the outer edge of the hull your trancducer is nowhere near it just pivot it up and down slightly once you have dropped the height a tad but watch ouy for exessive spray cos your outboard will suck it in the cowling.Dan

Shanoss
04-06-2007, 09:13 PM
but on reflection, your transducer does look a touch out of position

Seahorse
04-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks Gary. Maybe there is a slide adjustment under cover. I will take it of tomorrow arvo. Sorry that i didnt win lotto on sat, so cant buy ur boat yet.

Cheers
greg

Spaniard_King
04-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks Gary. Maybe there is a slide adjustment under cover. I will take it of tomorrow arvo. Sorry that i didnt win lotto on sat, so cant buy ur boat yet.

Cheers
greg

You may have missed the boat (pardon the pun) anyway Greg, If all goes to plan she will have a new owner this week

cheers

Garry

Seahorse
05-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Shannos, what do u mean wind back the gain. Dan u say trans should be middle of the ridges. Mine is nowhere near centre of ridge. Or do u mean where flat section joins start of ridge. I sound like a dumb bugger but just need to know what people mean. Thanks for everyones help. I will get it right soon.

Cheers
Greg

SgBFish
05-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Greg,
Garry is dead right that bracket is not where it should be. It should be between the chines and lower. To save drilling more holes make a plate from aluminium and bolt it on to your existing holes so that the transducer is between the chines then you can more it around to find the best position without drilling more holes in your hull.

Scott

Shanoss
05-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Greg, its basically your power output. Do you have it set on auto? IF it is then it wont be your problem. I doubt it is anyway

Seahorse
05-06-2007, 04:24 PM
hey scott do u mean it should be either no 1 or 2 on this pichttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/my%20pictures

Seahorse
05-06-2007, 04:26 PM
try again with pic

Dan5
05-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Seahorese move the tranny to the left to center it between the pressings also the ridges in the bottom are not called chines they are strakes pm for more advice Cheers dan

finding_time
05-06-2007, 05:40 PM
More towards the engine as garry says. the pressing or strake if you like would be causing bad water to pass over the head and drop it at least 25mm. The welded bracket is in a very poor position.

Ian

Cheech
05-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Just try it lower first before drilling new holes. You may get lucky.

builder
05-06-2007, 07:01 PM
garry is correct your transducer bracket is not welded in a very good position .
to what i can see the transducer needs to be moved in towards the motor in between the v pressings and fit level or flush to the bottom of your hull
get a straiight edge and lay under bottom of hull ,you may find your boat has a rocker in in it ,does the boat porpos..

Seahorse
05-06-2007, 08:26 PM
That seems to be the go builder. I have been talking to dan5 and thinks same. I will lower first Cheech, never know, might get lucky.
If that doesnt work might try what scott said. Dan said should take it back to dealer, but thats hassle. Iam at woody point, dealer on gold coast. Thanks everyone for their replies of help. It is very much appreciated. I will let u know the outcome

Cheers
greg

Seahorse
05-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey Builder
What do u mean does boat has rocker in it. Why would it porpos?

Greg