PDA

View Full Version : "noisy" braid

Ozwald
04-06-2007, 02:43 PM
I was out for a quiet mornings fishing last weekend to get rid of the hangover and to get out of the smog. I was fishing a Shimano raider rod coupled with a Penn Appplause reel rigged up with 20lb fireline braid and a 24lb fluorocarbon leader. When retriving the line there was a rasping or grating sound as the braid was wound through the guides; after a while it began to bug me a bit. Beautifully quiet for the short time the leader was running through the guides. I've loaded up the spare spool with mono so Ican switch over if it bugs me again.
Anybody have any clues as to why this was happening? Cheap guides on the rod perhaps or is the rod inappropriate for braid? Is it something common and is there something I should be doing to stop it?
Any advice greatfully received.
Oz

TheSaint
04-06-2007, 03:20 PM
I had that with a spool fireline on my radier rod also but when i respooled the noise went..

krazyfisher
04-06-2007, 03:59 PM
braid is braided line which is not smooth like mono so it makes a noise just like a file

tunaticer
04-06-2007, 07:34 PM
new fireline has a fairly rough and stiff character, after a good stretch or two with decent fish that noise will be gone. I would be checking your runners tho you could have a hairline crack in the ceramic on one guide that is acting like a record player needle and resonating the sound thru ur rod.

Jack

wheelerdog
04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
if you want to hear noise, 80lb fins braid with 200mm river 2 sea dumbell popper is impressive.;D

it has never bothered me though

Davemclean
04-06-2007, 09:21 PM
if you have cheap guides, braid can saw right through them

tanglefoot
06-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Love the sound of braid when it is getting peeled off though, sounds awsome

Horse
06-06-2007, 07:34 PM
I have found it bad with Fins on the roller of my Affinity. Everything seems to be rolling OK but at times it screams

Neil

Big Kev
06-06-2007, 08:37 PM
well i guess the concensus is that braid is just noisy stuff. but boy in the right hands can it catch fish?