PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Boat

shabss
04-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Fellow Ausfishers

I need some advice. I have only recently got my boat licence and only been fishing for about a year and a half. So I am fairly new to fshing and boating as well. I am about to purchase a 4.3m Clark Abalone 96 model with 98 model Yamaha Enduro outboard for around $5000. It is in very good nick but dirty and I have gone out with it around Coochie and am happy with it. Any advice on whether this is a good boat or not and whether I am making a good choice. All help will be appreciated. As accessories the following is included.
EPIRB, 4 life jackets, 2 anchors, oars, Lowrance X86 f/f brand new, hand held VHF radio, flares, Lowrance gps which needs some attention, registration till about september, crab pots, bilge pump, yabbie pump, spare s/s propellor, outboard prop, tilt trailer, spare tyre.
I am going to get the outboard checked some time this week

finga
04-06-2007, 09:12 AM
What size outboard matey??
Sounds good though.
Dirt can be washed off. It's what's under the dirt that matters.
It might be an idea to go for a longer cruise in it though.
Make sure all the safety gear is in test date and the jackets are of the approved type.
GPS needing attention sounds suss though as repairs sometimes are more expensive then new ones.
Your doing the right thing in getting the outboard checked :)

shabss
04-06-2007, 10:20 AM
sorry to mention outboard is 40 hp yamaha enduro

shabss
04-06-2007, 10:45 AM
heres some pics of the boat

saurian
04-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Chubby , used to own 4.3 with 50 honda.I took it all over the kimberleys buy road & sea and it never let me down.The hull likes to have a decent load in it to counteract the beamy nose.Can be a bit wet ( more like soaking) but a very strong tinny for size.Mine cost $ 2,500 hull only new in about 1994/1995 ??Double gunnells will be annoying for mounting rod holders, apart from that looks like a safe purchase, albeit motor.Ta

FNQCairns
04-06-2007, 11:32 AM
I think so the abalone is a good honest hull, check out the number of upright side bracings you have, compared to other boats new even, those engines have a solid rep, cannot say if your individual engine is OK though. Suspect you have a trailer as well in OK condition?

A person may be able to put the package together a bit cheaper if they sourced the hull/trailer/engine s/h separate but as a package $5000 is ok. To put it another way for $5000 it aint going to depreciate much over the next 3 years if you look after it, if you buy it for $4500 it may not depreciate at all:)

my 02 cheers fnq

saurian
04-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Hey , chubby some history , a 4.3 abalone 180 nautical miles from Derby.Up in the freshwater in Charnley river.Sorry about picture quality, and yes I'm not that skinny anymore.Ta

juju
04-06-2007, 11:53 AM
They have always had a good rep,...give all the welds a good look over and you should get years out of her, i had a clark years ago and it was a good boat...

cbs
04-06-2007, 12:16 PM
This might help.

Last year I bought a stessel 4.3 96 model for the same money you are talking.

It came with a 50 yamaha 2 st. with electric start/tilt and trim 2001 model. Started nearly every time. After simplifying the fuel lines, it now starts every time instantly. Wonder if the seller thought there was a problem?

Also cam fitted with vhf, bilge pump, nav lights, lifejackets etc.

Hull was very ordinary looking from la very bad paint job, but structurally sound. A few dings here or there from general use. The ply floor was a throw away as it was rotten.

I put another grand into it, respray, floor rebuild/lockers/platforms/carpet/seats etc. Did all the work myself and now it looks brand new (except some dings etc which I can't hide). Been asked a couple of times at the ramp if it is a new boat. Nope, its a decade old.

builder
04-06-2007, 07:53 PM
this boat was built in 96 while the muller family owned clark aluminium boats in wacol
it is a good hull built by good tradesman ,not many boats built to that standard
nowdays with 2mm bottoms go for it ...

saurian
04-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Builder, mine was a clark from wacol and it had 3mm bottom and sides and medium tensile at that. From memory it weighed 210 kilo's bare and for it's day
was the beamiest and rather deep to , I think chubbies is the same version.
Ta

shabss
04-06-2007, 08:35 PM
thanks all for the advise
i am going for it
just a few loose ends to sort out
but by tuesday i will know more definite