PDA

View Full Version : Tribute To Deckies!!!

time out
03-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Hi all.
I have a very good deckie with me on fishing trips.
I went fishing on Sunday without him. Long story short, it was chaos.

It taught me a valuable lesson, have a good deckie on board.

I would like to pay tribute to him and all alike.
If anyone agrees with me, please leave a mention. Or at least a funny story.

Cheers, Alan.

(Note to my deckie. sorry again for almost flipping
you out of the boat......2 metres from the boat ramp):P

blaze
03-06-2007, 09:29 PM
yep, a good deckie/mate on the boat makes for a more enjoyable trip. I normally skipper but played deckie today, nice change of roles too
cheers
blaze

finga
04-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Yep, a good decky certainly makes life easy.
My decky for the little boat (the cook :gorgeous:) had to pull me back into the boat one day.
Whilst cruising up the river we hit a just submerged log and when I looked behind me all I saw was the motor flying up into the stratosphere. Well I wasn't going to let it go down so I grabbed it on the way down and it was a bit (that should read WAY) too heavy for me so I went in as well. The poor cook didn't know what happened. One moment I was there the next all that was left was two legs pointing towards the heavens over the transom and nothing else.
She realised I was going over and down so she grabbed my shorts and started tugging me back in the boat.
She didn't know that the motor was missing and I had hold of the motor as well :P
When she got me up she saw what was happening and thought what a wally I am when I went back down.
What happened was when the motor got to the top the cowl come away and started sinking so back down I went again with her holding onto my shorts.
Anyways we got back home and the motor was stripped and it was going again that afternoon and all was well.
We don't go cruising up that river anymore. :P

phil_the_greek
04-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Aww shucks time out im blushing thanks for the kind words.
i forgive you for trying to throw me out of the boat but backing into the garage door all in the same day, thaat could take a bit longer:P lol

ps im allways willing to give my experience for fishing trips
cheeres buddy

phil

PWCDad
04-06-2007, 09:52 AM
I'd like to salute all the deckies as well ... all the wives, the mates, the sons, the daughters ...

A story from our boating closet ...

My wife was 7 months pregnant, first child, (1994) and we were at Shark Spit at Moreton doing a spot of fishing. She got a craving for Jatz biscuits and damn near finished the box ... 20 mins later we decided to shift to spot further south or head to Mud.

I said "Start her up and I'll get the anchor " ! As she was forward .. She said .."I'll get it" ! About a minute, or more, later she was still there at the anchor well.

I peered over the windscreen and said " What's happening ... are you ok ?" She said "Hang on a sec" !

And up they came .... she vomited every last Jatz biscuit in her tummy !!!! Yuck !!! Poor thing ... was heaving like a cat with a cricket sized furball !!!

To my amazement she insisted she do the anchor still ... as I was forward by now, I insisted ..she went right off (hormones) and said "Get away ... I'll do what I started" !!!

20 mins later she was looking in the esky for chocolate ....

Has been my mate and deckie now for 25 yrs ... and two kids later !!!

Regards
PWCDad

Wahoo
04-06-2007, 10:42 AM
yeh i agree, my main deckie (shane) is a champ, he knows how i do and want things done on my boat, i dont have to say a word and its done, he always offers money for the trip ( and there is no way i will take a penny off this guy).. by the time the boat is at the ramp it is spotless

ohhhh and he is my best mate 8-)

Daz

Noelm
04-06-2007, 11:36 AM
a good deckie that knows what to do and can do it, can make life so much better, nothing worse than a "newbie" trying to help, but really making it harder, you will find when you have done it a million times you will have a set routine (even if you do not realise it) a way and time to do things, I know when I go, my son does his bit, I get in the car, he is already at the trailer, guides me on, I get out, he has the coupling on and locked, I undo the jockey wheel and put it aside, I get back in the car and by then he has the lights plugged in and chains on, never fails, but if someone else "helps" I have to check everything and it takes 3 times as long. It is just a matter of getting a "system" worked out and stick to it.

ffejsmada
04-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Yep, a good decky certainly makes life easy.
My decky for the little boat (the cook :gorgeous:) had to pull me back into the boat one day.
Whilst cruising up the river we hit a just submerged log and when I looked behind me all I saw was the motor flying up into the stratosphere. Well I wasn't going to let it go down so I grabbed it on the way down and it was a bit (that should read WAY) too heavy for me so I went in as well. The poor cook didn't know what happened. One moment I was there the next all that was left was two legs pointing towards the heavens over the transom and nothing else.
She realised I was going over and down so she grabbed my shorts and started tugging me back in the boat.
She didn't know that the motor was missing and I had hold of the motor as well :P
When she got me up she saw what was happening and thought what a wally I am when I went back down.
What happened was when the motor got to the top the cowl come away and started sinking so back down I went again with her holding onto my shorts.
Anyways we got back home and the motor was stripped and it was going again that afternoon and all was well.
We don't go cruising up that river anymore. :P

Finga, Finga,
That story's a bloody classic;D

Pissed myself laughin', I can see it now, hilarious!!!! I'm still laughing, I just read it again!!!!!!;D;D;D;D

Cheers, Jeff LOL LOL

indy
04-06-2007, 05:59 PM
I took a newbie out a while ago and he is always going on about how sick he gets so i introduced him to kwells. He thought these were great, he had one at the boat ramp another about 3 hours later and then another about three hours after that. At one stage he said to me well i better have another lollie thinking that he had a secret stash of lollies somewhere but it was the kwells when i realized what he was doing i asked him how many is that and he told me that was his third. I said sh*t your not meant to have that many and within the hour he was stuffed couldn't keep his eyes open and didn't fish for the rest of the day. So yeah it is hard to get a good deckie but i have a couple good ones i rely on and they also no the way i like things to go.

cheers pete...