PDA

View Full Version : Best Practice

scrubba
03-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Hi All,
I have a 560 Freedom Cruiser. Have done about 8hrs.
When I get the boat going I like to start slow and gradually get it up to speed. Takes 5 or 6 seconds to get up to speed where the boat will level out.

I'm told this in bad practice. The best practice is to get it to plane as quick as possible by opening her up full throttle!

This correct?

Surely opening her up full throttle uses way more fuel than accelerating at a slower but steady rate.

/scrubba

finga
03-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Why is it bad practice??
Did you ask why they thought that??
Seems a bit silly to me (by saying that) especially with a new motor.
Oh, welcome to Ausfish scrubba :)

shubeej
03-06-2007, 09:33 PM
hi scrubba , most of the time i take off like the way you do gradually up to the plane ,can't really see the point of wide open throttle form standing start.
shubeej

FNQCairns
03-06-2007, 09:55 PM
They say it because prop slip is at it's greatest when-ever a planing hull is not planing, so the thinking is the faster the boat (distance) gets onto the plane the sooner it is traveling efficiently.
Right they may be.

I personally do whatever suits me at the time.

One thing for sure the more torque applied as in the faster the engine is accelerated the harder it is being worked (basic physics overcoming inertia) so taking it easy is certainly kinder on it, just don't do it real slow and bull-dose your bow wave for too long.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
03-06-2007, 10:00 PM
I power up over about 5 seconds, suits me doesn't spill me Beer and the kids stay in the boat as well. And does a lot less damage to the rubber prop bush.

ozscott
04-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Yep - even with only a 115 Yammy, full throttle from standing start throws people on the floor or worse and puts uncessesary hurt on parts. The fact is that outboard with their balancing, crome molloy and alloys, rolerised bottom ends are like little drag motors, but they are not torqors, so a balance is required not to labour them - they get all their power and most of their torque up high in the rev range (hence being able to achieve reccomended revs at WOT is important to make sure the set up is right and the motor does not labour). I cant see anything wrong with 5-6 second to plane, and thats what I normally do - a little bit of throttle to move off then open to about half and she gets on the plane smartly - 5-6 seconds- without doing anything spectacular for passengers etc. I think when people talk about not taking too long to plane they are talking longer than 5-6 seconds or so, but maybee they not - they would have to be asked...

Cheers

scrubba
04-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Thank you all.
I think fnq's explanation was closest to the reasons given.

I'll stick to the slower start.