PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Texalium Blanks

jerson
02-06-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm thinking about using a wilson texalium blank for a spin rod for flathead. I don't use plastics, but cast & retrieve blue bait, pilchards & white bait in a similar fashion, I imagine, to plastics.
The blank will be a 2 - 5 kg, 6'6", cork grips & single foot guides with a Penn Applause 2500.
I haven't priced anything yet.
Has anyone used these blanks, i don't imagine their cheap, is there a better option.
Any recipes would be appreciated.

Jerson

finga
02-06-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm definitely no expert (or any spert for that matter) but isn't 2-5kg a little heavy for flathead?
I'd love to catch one that would test that blank though :)

jan
02-06-2007, 11:54 PM
G'day Jerson,
The last I heard u couldn't get a tex. blank. u can in the live fibre trophy (red) and tournament (blue) and then the cheaper black ones. One of those should do as u aren't using it for SP.

G'day Finga,
I use 3 x 6-8kg live fibres I made up bream fishing as well as a Sabre/Seeker 210 :) as we need to tear the b.astards out from their hidy holes so a 2-5kg rod for flaties should be ok, lol.
Cheers, Jan.

jerson
03-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Jan,
Can you explain the differance in the blank where sp's are used.
I was hoping to put as much action into the bait fish as possible. Is this the wrong way to go?

Jerson

finga
03-06-2007, 06:27 AM
G'day Finga,
I use 3 x 6-8kg live fibres I made up bream fishing as well as a Sabre/Seeker 210 :) as we need to tear the b.astards out from their hidy holes so a 2-5kg rod for flaties should be ok, lol.
Cheers, Jan.
No wonder I've been not getting fish in the bag. I only use 6' 1-2kg rods for bream and flatties :-/
Or is it I just don't know how to fish :-[

B_E_N
04-06-2007, 11:19 AM
ive heard of alot of people useing 6-8 kg rods for sp with flathead. big plastics and big flatties tho, they use the heavier stuff to sink the hook better and get the fish up for release quicker so the fish isnt tired, choice and prefered method of fishing i guess

tim2
04-06-2007, 01:17 PM
I use a 2-5kilo(or maybe 2-4kilo?) 7 ft factory rod with single foot guides and a double foot stripper, its one of the Ian Miller squidgy spin rods. i dont how others would feel about this rod but i like it. i've caught many big flathead with it and had no problems, but i only use a 1500 size reel.
Hope this helps your decision