PDA

View Full Version : What can i do with a Yellowfin tuna?

new2bris31
01-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi all, went for s fish last night and end up catching a 6kg yellowfin tuna. I bleed it straight away and into the esky but i am not sure how i should eat it. Mate said to BBQ it but what does it taste like and any other ideas???

Dirtysanchez
01-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Should be nice BBQ'd
Sashimi is good too, ie Raw, in thin strips, with wasabe

Failing that, head to the valley, find a Japanese restaurant, and ask them to make you up a meal with it.

Eagle
01-06-2007, 11:50 AM
An extract from "Grants Guide to Fishes", page 667 (Northern Bluefin Tuna).
"The skinned dark-meat filets should be blanched by dipping in hot (not boiling) water for only seconds, when they can be deepfried, grilled or (best of all) barbequed."
Yellowfin can be cooked the same way. I have cooked Little Tuna (Bonito) shown on page 673, by frying the fillets on a BBQ and they were delicious. Grants Guide states, "skining, blanching, steamed and served with a white sauce" is also good.
Most people knock the tuna back 'cos of the dark meat. If cooked using the methods suggested, it is a top grade tucker. Tuna are DEFINITELY NOT cat food!
Have a go and experiment with your cooking techniques.

Eagle

Nowhere Bob
01-06-2007, 01:13 PM
If you are a fusssy fish eater, take the fillet off, you will see two distinct colours or meat a rich red & a dark red. Trim every scrap of the dark meat off, then you can (as previously posted) BBQ the bugger. Extra yum - drizzle a little kecap manis [Indon sweet soy] before you do.
Some of my fussy bugger spear fishing friends laughed at me keeping my longtail - admittedly not as good Coral Trout or Pearl Perch, but good tucker none the less.
P.S. all the trimmed off meat gets chopped into chunks and frozen - best cubing bait ever.

themissus
01-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Lucky Bugger!!
Make a quick marinate of soy, ginger, honey, garlic, and chilli.
As the guys have said above the dark meat can be a bit strong, cut it off if you like. Then slice bits about 2cm thick and marinate them for 5 mins or so. Fry in pan or on barby. DO NOT OVER COOK!!! Goes dry and yucky. (To stop the honey sticking/burning put a bit of glad bake down and cook fish on top.)

Cheers Kim.

3rd degree
01-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Mate,

Don't cook it, just eat it raw! it doen't get any better than that!

Cheers

Jim

B_E_N
01-06-2007, 03:15 PM
here are a few more ideas, firstly if you do eat it raw, cut it thin, also drench it in lime or lemon juice, the acidity cures/cooks it slighty, do a search on the net for sashimi, also seen other ways where its half cooked on the outside raw in the middle makes for a great flavour, and looks awesome aswell will impress most. my advice is give a good search through the net on it, some links may be the tv show 'surfing the menu' they have a heap of good recipes, or jamie oliver, ive seen him make some great looking tuna dishes even tho hes a bit of a tosser at times!
best bet track down some of the surfing the menu recipies
ben

littlejim
01-06-2007, 06:10 PM
N2B,

you lucky B(n2). A convenient way to cook fish like that is to cut it vertically into 'steaks'. You can make them all the same thickness which makes it easy to BBQ them all the same amount of time. You can chuck a bit of cajun spice on the BBQ plate first to add a bit of tang. As the others have said when eating it peel the dark bits out, they are a bit gamey, the steaks make it easy to spot those bits.

Horse
01-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm with Kim. A basic Teriyaki marinade and just cook it YUM!

Its great raw with soy and wasabi or pickled raw in Kokoda or nummis

They are the best of the Tuna

barkers creek
01-06-2007, 08:45 PM
make berly bhabhab
would work u boy tuna oil so yer

gleeeza
18-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Cooked or raw is a personal choice with Tuna. Yellowfin or albacore are the go in my house, will always cook the albacore and the yellowfin is an each way bet. I go a bit further with the marinade/ dipping sauce. 1/4 cup Tamari, 1/8 cup rice vinegar,1 teaspoon of sesame oil and wasabi to taste. I like the wasabi to clear the sinuses. Trim "ALL" blood form the fillet and slice as thin as you can.

Cooked, less is more. Any marinade helps but the base for most of mine is good olive oil, lime juice,dill and salt.Lots of oil!!! A hot plate and just before turning you sprinkle sugar(brown) on top to caramelise. Serve that way up.

Just a thought!!! Cheers

Noelm
25-06-2007, 09:56 AM
geees you guys make a simple thing hard, just fillet the thing, cut off any blood meat, cut fillet 'crossways" to make small sort of medalions about 1/2" thick, do a bit of egg and breadcrumbs, cook untill just done and you will spend time to try for another one, they are quite good to eat, but do NOT cook up all nice and white, because of the pinkish meat, they tend to be a bit darker when cooked, but if you do not over cook them, it will be delicious

mudrunner
25-06-2007, 10:34 AM
why not smoke a tuna steak or two. oily fish are the best for smoking.

first brine the tuna steaks in 2ltr water, with 1 cup sea salt flakes, and 1/2 cup of brown sugar paddled in untill all sugar and salt is dissolved. put steaks in brine for 2-4 hours. (in the fridge).
then take them out and pat dry with paper towel. now, you can put a glaze on it, like a sweet soy honey/garlic sauce (kecup manis is great). then fire up smoker (or a converted barbie. i can tell you how if needed) and smoke for about 20 mins in a good thick plume of aussie hardwood. continue cooking over heat (not smoke ) if needed. too much smoke is no good.
eat hot or cold. preferably with a beer.....

Ausfish
28-06-2007, 10:57 AM
I prefer it raw, dipped in Soy sauce with Wasabi mixed in it.

You could also try this recipe - Yellowfin Tuna Aloha - http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=100844

minno
15-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Raw! No thanks. I like to steam it until just cooked. Then wait till its cold and then break it up lightly and add black pepper, lemon juice and tea spoon or two of oil. Mix lightly and serve, or cut it up fresh into small bite size Pisces. Then make the batter with chicken salt, garlic, and use a little soy- sauce when mixing it all together. Then get your deep fryer hot and drop them in and fry until golden brown.

I will try the raw thing, but not keen.:)

minno

pog mo hoin
29-10-2007, 10:06 AM
A tip with cooking Tuna steak is to treat it a little like beef, best served Medium Rare. I like it raw, or if you like slice it thin, lay it on a cold plate, sprinkle finely chopped ginger, chilli, garlic, lemon grass then splash with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and top with shaved parmesean cheese. Its a sort of East Meets West twist of Capaccio.

philip_thomson
01-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Yellowfin Tuna AKA Fin

awful eating fish anyone who catches them should not risk eating it and bring it around to my place::)

kingkev
02-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Sashimi strips in a mixtuer of Ginger soy and Japanese sake

yummmmmmmmmmm

robersl
04-11-2007, 04:23 PM
just give it to me

Nakor1
14-11-2007, 04:25 PM
There are more recipes than there are tuna in the bay. It is going to take a life time to try them all. What a way to spend a life.

nowornever
20-11-2007, 09:31 PM
This might sound terrible but I thought it was really nice. Cut it into thin peaces and place in Vinigar to cook the meet. In the Vinigar we put Chilly and Sardean sounds terrible but it was addictive.

death_ship
14-02-2008, 05:56 PM
bloody nice done in a tempura batter!

sandman55
02-03-2008, 10:16 PM
As you know tuna over cooked is dry so when you cook the cutlets (a bit over 1/2 inch thick) put it on the barby or hotplate and you will see the meat start to turn white when the white is near to half way then turn it and just before the white meets the white take it off and it will continue to cook the rest of the way and the meet will be moist.
I tried blue fin sashimi for the first time at the last Tunarama and it was great.

Chris_2184
26-05-2008, 09:04 PM
cut into 1 inch cubes and marinade in honey and soy sauce, cook ever so slightly on pan or bbq leaving it pink within. Then toss through salad of choice......with a little dressing;)

Imfiik
26-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Tuna is a perfect sweet curry base. Take a med caserole dish. One chopped onion ,a handful of white seedless grapes,one chopped apple ,one or two chopped banannas,not quite ripe. A couple of cups of cubed tuna,fish sauce instead of salt ,dash of garlic ,a bottle of chicken tonight mild curry and enough water to wash out all the contents of the jar. Mix it up and stick in the microwave for thirty minutes. Great on a cool night,in fact I had it for dinner with fresh tailor instead of tuna. Last night was crumbed tarwhine. Sunday night was gar fillets in light batter. Good stuff fish!!!!!

sandman55
26-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Tuna is a perfect sweet curry base. Take a med caserole dish. One chopped onion ,a handful of white seedless grapes,one chopped apple ,one or two chopped banannas,not quite ripe. A couple of cups of cubed tuna,fish sauce instead of salt ,dash of garlic ,a bottle of chicken tonight mild curry and enough water to wash out all the contents of the jar. Mix it up and stick in the microwave for thirty minutes. Great on a cool night,in fact I had it for dinner with fresh tailor instead of tuna. Last night was crumbed tarwhine. Sunday night was gar fillets in light batter. Good stuff fish!!!!!

Sounds good I just printed it out I take it you mean fresh tuna but I think it would also be good with tinned tuna.:dankk2: