PDA

View Full Version : Unstable outboard trottle, it jumps all over the place

Nicko
31-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi,

I went out fishing tonight for the first time after getting my small portable yamaha 2stroke full serviced on wednesday and ran into a problem. Hopefully someone here can help me, if it's not an easy fix i'll take it back tomorrow and hope they fix it for free.

From the beginning the engine trottle was playing up, in gear at 100% full speed it was ok, it didnt fluctuate. BUT.
from about the the position you place the trottle when you start the engine to 90% trottle it would play up.
For instance, i had it on 50% and there was no wash, it was barely putting then it'd suddenly spike up, get proper speed then go down a notch, etc, etc.
It's almost as though the engine had a mind of it's own.

FNQCairns
31-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Hard one! the service cryteria on one of those is about as complex as a lawn mower, consider poping the hood and fiddle with everything you can find even the sparkplug boots (correct sparkplugs?), sounds like fuel but may be electrical, really I have got no idea esp if the problem is related to the service.

cheers fnq

Nicko
01-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Hey guys,

I took my motor back today to the shop and thankfully it was just a simple problem.
The mechanic showed me a spark that was going from the side of the sparkplug boot to the engine framework. So what was happening was the engine was always jumping from working on 1cylinder to 2.

On a side note, i fixed up my trailer brake light and now im all ready to go fishin! :P yay weekend.