PDA

View Full Version : Is your boat under warranty? If yes, read this!

midnight_run
31-05-2007, 07:32 PM
I have been a loyal Ausfish member for quite a few years now and I thought it would be of interest to all the other boaties out there just how much a warranty is worth these days, especially the warranty on your boat. I have a centre console boat which I purchased from a local boat yard at Capalaba which has recently changes premises on Old Cleveland Road. It has been used heaps and is still under it's manufacturer warranty. It has had a long history of cracked welds which is unusual for a brand new boat. I had all of the previous ones fixed by the manufacturer before I even took the brand new boat home, but was shocked when I took it back to the boat yard last week after discovering the base welds that fix the centre console to the boat structure were almost completely split along with the weld that attaches the back step (which has hardly been used). I went back to the boat yard today after hearing nothing and they advised me in a very rude manner that I should speak to the manufacturer on the gold coast and drive it down there myself to get it looked at by the builder all at my own expense as they were bound to do nothing for me. Now how's that for service when I paid over $16000 cash for a brand spanking new boat! I then called the manufacturer who was unavailable at that time and was to be phoned back within the hour. two hours later I phoned and got an instant greeting of "well clearly someone does not get out of bed early in the morning", no nice greetings for a "valued customer" I was infact at the hospital this morning having my monthly oncology tests to make sure i am still in remission! He told me to bring the boat to him to havea look at it for himself and when i offered to take time off work to get it to him the following day he rudely told me it was "NOT CONVENIENT". To make sure that I get the quality of service that I deserve when forking out hard earned money I decided to take it to a local marine welder at Cleveland to get the job done properly. I myself work at highly regarded boating supplies retailer and understand that when my customers buy something they pay in the mark up for your service to be the best! I somehow think that a warranty means that you get after purchase service and workmanship until it is void! Oh well I hope that your warranty is better than mine and worth more than the paper that it was written on. So much for a company and boats that are "BUILT WITH PRIDE"!!!!>:(

manchild
31-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Thats bad mate,sorry to hear that.This kinda stories made me choose the poly.I can pick up the phone anytime and speak to the owner and director of polycraft anytime and receive full support .You cant beat that service.Hope it works out for you .If you talking about the same company i thinking of ,i wouldnt buy anything from them at all.I happened to do some work on their factory roof and got talking to a few of their employees.Everything had to be just good enough and quickly made according to them and nobody i met there took pride in working on boats.
George

PinHead
31-05-2007, 07:49 PM
is there a "highly regarded boating supplies retailer"..they are the same as manufacturers and builders..they are all good until there is a problem. Unfortuantely we always want our problems solved instantly which does not happen...I can tell you of one very "respected" boat manufacturer that has a waiting time of 3 months for warranty work.

BM
31-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Seems to be an all too familiar tale within this unregulated industry sadly...

Be it a new boat warranty, or a used boat warranty (hehe) or warranty work on engines..

I am often ashamed to belong to an industry so full of corrupt individuals....

tully
31-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I have to say midnight, that there is nothing more frustrating than to have the bums who took your money, give you the big middle digit as soon as you try to get some backup. They know most people just don't have the resources to challenge them. Personally I would do the same as you, i.e. swallow my pride and pay someone competent to fix it properly. You know when your flogging a dead horse.
It was a pleasant surprise to find the same thing as manchild, re: dealing with polycraft. They are not perfect, nor are their boats, but a pleasure to deal with. Despite the fact that their boats are sold through a dealer network, they are happy to deal directly with boat owners in a friendly and timely way.
Good luck midnight, I hope you get it all sorted out.

sid_fishes
31-05-2007, 09:38 PM
if IT,S BUILT WITH PRIDE,why is it that they so much warranty work. as a matter of fact that could be anyone of the ally popout boat building companies here on the coast.

bisso
31-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Ahhh! i remember going through this crap a year ago with a new outboard i purchased that seized after 20 hours. i was told that i was unfortunate but still have to pay for it. so my $8k motor ended up costing me $12k after rebuild. warranty, its a piece of paper to wipe your butt with... i am sorry for your loss and expense and sympathise with you completely as i am all so aware of that feeling you are going through.
can i ask if you have taken it to a tribunal or pursued a legal avenue. i from experience beleive a legal avenue is your best bet.... if you want to discuss further or have any questions i would happily oblidge as i know the shitty sunken feeling you have to go through..
cheers
bisso

bluefin59
01-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the warning mate i'v had mine for just over 3yrs mines a 4.5mt side console and have had no probs yet but will keep an eye out now, the dealer is the same as i dealt with by the sound of it but have received great service from them i suppose things can happen with anyone and any brand but you sure do lose confidence when you read a story like this mate hope your back on the water now ...bluefin59

davo
01-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Unfortunately that is the problem with production boats. An 18yr old off the street can be your welder. Even so I would wish your problem on my worst enemy.

wags on the water
01-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Midnite, you're not alone with this one. My boat is now 3months old and been back to the company twice and problems have arisen again. This has finally given me the sh!ts. $41k of boat - paint oxidisation after 5weeks and it's deemed as not a warranty item. WHY should this happen !!!! It's brand new!!! This problem is on going.
Have you contacted the office of fair trading?

Wags

midnight_run
02-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all your posts. I took it to a professional welder yesterday and got it fixed professionally. Needed to get it done real fast for the fishing comp next week! Bluefin59 have you ever checked under the floor and had a look at the structure of the ribs???? My welder looked at mine yesterday and almost collapsed when he saw that there was no bracing between the ribs! and to wags I hope you get them for that cos I was gonna buy the same boat exactly as the one in your picture for my new boat and get rid of my "two fin". Seems like there is a continuing cycle of recycled leftovers bodgied up together and sold again that we are supposed to feel safe in!

wags on the water
02-06-2007, 08:34 AM
m_run , I think it's just me as a mate of mine swears by stacer boats and has never had a problem. In my case though, it won't be swept under the carpet.This sort of money doesn't grow on trees. I've worked bl@@dy hard to get this so I can enjoy my time off work.

Wags

wags on the water
02-06-2007, 08:38 AM
sorry double post

Pual44
02-06-2007, 11:24 AM
I sympathise with your situation. You have done the right thing and probably saved yourself a lot of time and inconvenience by taking it to a professional for repairs.
It seems to me that not all dealers are the same as I have cause to make a claim on warranty not once but twice for the same problem. The dealer I went through at Bowen hills Brisbane could not have been more obliging and he is not the one who sold me the motor, just a dealer/mechanic with integrity.
Some of us will know who I mean.
I hope he stays in business for a very long time (purely selfish reasons ofcourse) as there seems to be a limitted number of these people around.
Hopefully loss in sales can weed these people out.

Cheers

Sean
02-06-2007, 01:04 PM
I had a bermuda and after 6 months had a split in the weld near the transducer, when i took it to the dealer i was told I must bash my boat around! Thanks a lot Andrew Short marine in Sydney!!

Sean
02-06-2007, 01:05 PM
I personally think if you want a little revenge, head to the next boat show they are exibiting at and kick up a real fuss when they are busy! I bet the service you receive will be a little different!

deadbeatloser
02-06-2007, 02:02 PM
I have been a loyal Ausfish member for quite a few years now and I thought it would be of interest to all the other boaties out there just how much a warranty is worth these days, especially the warranty on your boat. I have a centre console boat which I purchased from a local boat yard at Capalaba which has recently changes premises on Old Cleveland Road. It has been used heaps and is still under it's manufacturer warranty. It has had a long history of cracked welds which is unusual for a brand new boat. I had all of the previous ones fixed by the manufacturer before I even took the brand new boat home, but was shocked when I took it back to the boat yard last week after discovering the base welds that fix the centre console to the boat structure were almost completely split along with the weld that attaches the back step (which has hardly been used). I went back to the boat yard today after hearing nothing and they advised me in a very rude manner that I should speak to the manufacturer on the gold coast and drive it down there myself to get it looked at by the builder all at my own expense as they were bound to do nothing for me. Now how's that for service when I paid over $16000 cash for a brand spanking new boat! I then called the manufacturer who was unavailable at that time and was to be phoned back within the hour. two hours later I phoned and got an instant greeting of "well clearly someone does not get out of bed early in the morning", no nice greetings for a "valued customer" I was infact at the hospital this morning having my monthly oncology tests to make sure i am still in remission! He told me to bring the boat to him to havea look at it for himself and when i offered to take time off work to get it to him the following day he rudely told me it was "NOT CONVENIENT". To make sure that I get the quality of service that I deserve when forking out hard earned money I decided to take it to a local marine welder at Cleveland to get the job done properly. I myself work at highly regarded boating supplies retailer and understand that when my customers buy something they pay in the mark up for your service to be the best! I somehow think that a warranty means that you get after purchase service and workmanship until it is void! Oh well I hope that your warranty is better than mine and worth more than the paper that it was written on. So much for a company and boats that are "BUILT WITH PRIDE"!!!!>:(
yeah m8 i know wat u mean my brand new allycraft nearly sunk 10nm at sea because it had a hole in one of the weld or lack of, spoke to sum stupid woman cathy who really didnt give two hoots. stabicraft coming soon .ALLYCRAFT INDIAN to be scrapped soon the better......................

Braddles
02-06-2007, 02:35 PM
I really empathise with you guys - but why protect these grubs by not metioning their names? I know your perhaps afraid of persecution, but under freedom of information, we are now allowed to speak out against bad service! As of next week - we will even be seeing shonky / unclean restaurants advertised in our papers! For too long - these grubs have hidden behind beaurecratic legislation ( instilling fear of deformation charges on those that did). We need to protect and look out for each other! Same goes for good service.... Perhaps there should be an area on this forum to praise above average service and product, and warn of personal experiences from not so good products and services.

I think every reasonable person accepts that everyone makes mistakes from time to time. All great boat manufacturing companies make errors on a weld or what ever - but it is how they handle the problem that ultimatley reflects how good the company is.

As for the warranty - unless it is underwritten by a public company or an insurance comany, if you are outside the legislative cooling off period - you might as well wipe your bum on it as someone said - it really is just a deed of good will.

Consumer Affairs - or now "Office of Fair Trading, QLD" is wothwhile - but they seem to have lost their balls now and while they will certainly make contact with the manufacturer and even facilitate mediation, they will refer the matter to small claims or if over about 5K, to the local magistrates court. Well worth doing though - as the magistrate will look favourably on your case if you have attempted mediation first.

best of luck - and I hope your tumor markers / imaging were fine!

Brad.

doublexl
02-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Hi M-run,not Shaw But Is Your Boat The Yellow C/console That Someone Rolled In Bad Weather In Moreton Bay Last Year.

bluefin59
02-06-2007, 03:57 PM
M-run have you got any photos or explain where the problem is and i will pull up some floor and have a look thanks for the heads up on this mate...... I dont quit understand what i should be looking for mate..:o :o :o

doublexl
02-06-2007, 04:26 PM
hi bluefin 59,mate i don,t think we are getting the full story here i have seen m-runs boat it was rolled in bad weather in moreton bay last year,the question here is did m-run take his boat back to the manufacturer after it rolled to get it inspected by the builder.

disorderly
02-06-2007, 04:52 PM
[quote=Braddles;628411]I really empathise with you guys - but why protect these grubs by not metioning their names?

The main problem with naming names is the ease with which anybody with an untoward agenda or a lopsided view of events can slander a particular company whilst hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.
BTW I,m not inferring that this thread is a case of this type of mischief .

Scott

Plastic Surgeon
02-06-2007, 04:58 PM
I think we all know who he is talking about anyways.....
This is compelling reading for me, as I'm in the market for an upgrade.

Mtx
02-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Not sure on the real story here.
I have received nothing but exceptional service every single time I have been to that boat yard, As has my brother in law and a mate of mine who have all bought that brand boat from that yard. Mine came from there as well. Second to none on service and warranty ( my brother in law had a slight issue with his and no problems fixing it up at all to an exceptional level)

I understand that this is the boat that rolled due to rough conditions and not the best seamanship. Unfortunate for you yes but you really cannot blame the boat yard or the manufacturer for this. I don't think you would find a warranty in the world that would cover that. Perhaps try your insurance instead?

This professional welder you took it to as well, Is that not the same welder you complained about when you had your transducer bracket fitted? (mind you I understand this was not a reflection on the welder, just some people are hard to please).

I can understand you being angry at the situation but I do not think it is fair to badmouth a boat yard and or manufacturer that I know for a fact go out of there way for customer satisfaction. Even though you have not mentioned them directly, it is very obvious who it is.

Perhaps give your insurance company a try next time if you happen to roll your boat and damage it.

bluefin59
03-06-2007, 04:18 AM
I am in the same boat as you blokes i had nothing but good service from these guys as well couldnt help enough from test ride to service thats why i am so surprised pulled up half my floor last night and checked everything out still sound as in there still as when was new ,maybe your right something maybe missing from the whole story ,its funny how one story can change your whole perception of something i love my fin even more its now done 400hrs of morton bay bashing and still like new .......

FNQCairns
03-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Someone needs to do a proper writeup (this is not it but might help some) on how to spot a good pressed tinny these days, just as a starter to it, when the floor is in (no-one should ever buy one without seeing below deck for structure) count the number of vertical ribs running up the hull side above floor height, now look under the floor, if the number of ribs you see there do not match the number up the side (side will be less) give it the flick.

Each of these ribs needs a bulkhead to raise them to floor height as they travel left to right, if this is not full height, solid and FULLY welded - give it the flick, next full length longitudinal bracing between ribs at floor height needs to be in place, lastly the hull sheet form needs to be well pressed as it is the longitudinal bracing at the water line and finally there needs to be some form of very solid extruded keel section running fore aft (which most have).

Some tinny manufacturers fail one (or more, or most!) of the tests above but hold together fine as individual boats, but the power of numbers always win - the one with all of the above is the one that will have less or no failures per 100 boats under identical circumstance/treatment.

Also measure your boat proper (not overall) if the number of ribs is less overall than 400mm spacing (give or take 25% if the above ribs are in place) give it the flick also. Thwarts do no make up for lost bracing below.

There is more also, along the finer points of design/construction but thisgenerally above the average bloke to assume when buying - me included - do homework!, marketing means nothing actually marketing means less than nothing!!!!.

Cheer fnq

Lovey80
03-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Sounds pretty bad in the original post. Lets hope this is the full story, if so i say name the builder and open yourself up but if this is not the full story let us know mate. At the end of the day if the boat was rolled does that now mean that all warranty is now null and void on workmanship???

Interesting reading.

Cheers Chris

PinHead
03-06-2007, 03:47 PM
I think we all know who he is talking about anyways.....
This is compelling reading for me, as I'm in the market for an upgrade.

and if you put up any manufacturer's name I reckon you will get both good and bad feedback on each and every one of them.

midnight_run
04-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Yes my boat did capsise over a year and a half ago and got the electrics fixed indpendently by an excellent local marine dealer. However the point of this thread is that the problem was in no way linked to the capsise. I have been informed by the repairer that the boat was not built with the appropriate reinforcement that should hold the console to the ribs in the base of the boat.

midnight_run
04-06-2007, 07:45 AM
I should also mention that I believe the representatives of the local boat yard are infact here to offer their side of the story, or are they. Hi to Michael (MTX) and doublexl who I think must also work there to be able to know exactly who I am and what my boat looks like considering there is no pictures of it on this thread. So guys, are you going to add anything constructive to the thread or are you just going to pretend that you are one of the "satisfied customers"? Really, this looks to me like an attempt to discredit what I have said in order to restore their customers faith. Anyone could be mistaken to think we are in the dirty politics game here!

PinHead
04-06-2007, 07:53 AM
I would expect that if you had capsized the boat then it would be an insurance claim...would be like having a car prang and expect to fix it under warranty..I doubt you would have much come back with the dealer or the manufacturer after it had capsized...whether it had anything to do with the capsize or not but that would be their way out of it.

midnight_run
04-06-2007, 07:53 AM
I have received nothing but exceptional service every single time I have been to that boat yard, As has my brother in law and a mate of mine who have all bought that brand boat from that yard. Mine came from there as well. Second to none on service and warranty ( my brother in law had a slight issue with his and no problems fixing it up at all to an exceptional level)

I understand that this is the boat that rolled due to rough conditions and not the best seamanship. Unfortunate for you yes but you really cannot blame the boat yard or the manufacturer for this. I don't think you would find a warranty in the world that would cover that. Perhaps try your insurance instead?

This professional welder you took it to as well, Is that not the same welder you complained about when you had your transducer bracket fitted? (mind you I understand this was not a reflection on the welder, just some people are hard to please).

I can understand you being angry at the situation but I do not think it is fair to badmouth a boat yard and or manufacturer that I know for a fact go out of there way for customer satisfaction. Even though you have not mentioned them directly, it is very obvious who it is.

Perhaps give your insurance company a try next time if you happen to roll your boat and damage it.

It is so funny how you know so much about the history of the boat, yet are just a happy customer!
And as for the repairer he did say that he repaired some of those make of boats, but how should I know who YOU sent it to to get repaired, I hadn't even purchased the boat at that stage.
Unfortunately your alias doesn't add up so if you have anything to add about THIS thread not what has been dealt with in the past then add it.

Do you think your satisfied customers would want you on AUSFISH all day when you should be out the back fixing their boats, no wonder the work takes so long to get done there?

PWCDad
04-06-2007, 08:21 AM
I looked long and hard regarding my new boat purchase (4 months) and finally settled on a 5.0m SeaJay Centre Console from Bundaberg.

I spoke to the owners after the purchase (all three, Owner, his wife and son at times) regarding prop trials and motor height etc. Sometimes they werent available straight away but I got to speak to them as soon as they were free.

I cant fault the boat in any major way except maybe the steering being telefleax cable that should have been hydraulic (borderline). I purchased a Baystar Hyd System to match the Yam 80 4 stroke and have since fitted it ... best thing you can do ... my 12 yr old daughter can now steer boat.

They have few little touches that stand out from the rest ..and its not til look deeper that you find them ... things like the ply flooring is coated with a protection clearcoat all over before carpet is glued on. 90mm wiring tunnel from console to rear bilge. Fully painted internal hull area even under floor.

There are some niggles but not many ... example ..some holes were not de-burred where wires pass (Targa Bar exit).

The rear seat upholstery was slightly outta whack in one corner and looked a bit nasty (to me) I complained to dealer and whole new rear seat in on order from SeaJay ... cant complain there.

SeaJay still custom a boat to the owners needs to a great degree ... you can specify a 4mm floor and capped keel for example ....

They would have to be up there with the best pressed tinnies ..and worth a look ...

A pic of mine ....

Sorry to go off-topic a little but for the people reading the thread contemplating a pressed boat they (SeaJay) are worth a look I think ...

Regards
PWC Dad

Mtx
04-06-2007, 08:53 AM
ok First up - Let's get one thing clear.

I am not and Never have been associated, worked, or even done work experience in this boat yard, another boat yard, the manufacturer or even in the marine industry. I work in a totally unrelated field and have no association to the marine industry at all except for being a weekend fisherman and a happy customer.

as far as knowing about your boat goes, suffice to say, if someone starts mouthing off about a local marine business in a small community such as Redlands shire, especially on a public forum, the comments are called into question and quite often the real story comes out... You know the bits they
"forgot to mention or felt were not relevant".

You are making accusations about a local business that has a great deal of support in the area based around their exceptional name and customer service. You have to expect everything to be looked at - including the whole story. Perhaps if you had been up front about the issues, your story may have had some more credibility. Another thing to remember is, when you start letting emotions over take the facts, you can make yourself liable for legal intervention that I am sure you or anyone else does not want.

I state again in case it was not fully understood the first time.

I have no association with the boat yard in question, any other boat yard or the marine industry except for being a happy customer (one in a very long list of happy customers). I work in a totally unrelated field and do not even work in redland shire.

fishing111
04-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Capsized or not, could'nt an independant marine surveyor "someone with some clout",tell if the boat had been constructed to an appropriate standard, regarding welding/bracing?

Titanic
04-06-2007, 11:34 AM
This is quite an interesting thread and confirms my thoughts
on just how good a warranty in the boating industry. I bought
a new boat from a local dealer who had won the manufacturers
dealer of the year award a couple of times. The boat came from QLD
and was manufactured by a very large Company (no names).
After 6 months I had an issue with a crazing screen and it became a long story.
Never did I doubt the manufacturers desire to fix the problem.
My problem was with the dealer and his repairer who could not
get the repair right . I was accused by the dealer of causing the damage and
as such I should accept a shoddy repair. Basically after many attempts
to fit new screens they had made locally new screens were shipped over
by the manufacturer . These were fitted and the job was still not
good. At this stage I basically gave up, I mean I bought the boat
to use not to sit in the repairers shop. If I had lived in Qld I would have
driven the boat directly to the builder and that is why I am now
buying a locally made boat.
My experience left me with the opinion that Boat Dealers are little different
to Used car dealers in the way they operate. They are not interested in warranty
issues , near enough is good enough and unless they are making money they
have little interest in your problems . I was one customer who basically they
could afford to lose , well they did and I will never recommend them to anyone.

midnight_run
04-06-2007, 05:56 PM
:-/ I think that the point of this thread is in fact whether or not the boat was produced to an approprriate standard. I think just about all of you would agree that a boat is an investment in a number of ways. Like a car it is a monetary investment that you want to get the most out of in terms of quality and personal SERVICE. You also invest in it as a source of leisure whether it be fishing or just cruising, you also have a more personal investment because I am an average worker and I work pretty hard for the money I save up for thinkgs like this and it feels like a slap in the face when things like this happen and then the service you expect, whether the problem is fixable or not, is poor. Sorry this thread got so off topic, but what we are talking about is quality of product and quality of service!

PinHead
04-06-2007, 07:12 PM
How old is the boat ??

midnight_run
04-06-2007, 08:53 PM
PinHead just over a year and a half

builder
04-06-2007, 09:00 PM
as a person in the industry .it does not matter what brand of boat, or which dealer sold it, they are production boats with bugger all quality control systems in place the industry needs a shake up . and its you the purchaser that has the control..
i am a no name builder with three others and between us we have 55 yrs experience we dont plan ongetting it wrong ...your comments and questions welcom

disorderly
04-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Capsized or not, could'nt an independant marine surveyor "someone with some clout",tell if the boat had been constructed to an appropriate standard, regarding welding/bracing?

This sounds like a good idea.
Midnight run,
Is this a possibility and would it hold any sway?

Scott

Tangles
04-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Must admit, not knowing every dealer in town, having read this thread, who is the dealer in question?, or are we all speaking in whispers? if so whats the point of this thread in a public forum?

Take to your lawyer and get proper advice. Also you seem to be relying on your own expert repairer, ( reminds me of expert medical witnesses, they will all say different things, if you get one that might say the wrong thing against you, just get another one who will say the right thing, standard practice in the game)

Also from reading the threads seems that this touches on the question of what properly is an insurance or warranty issue ( like capsizing a boat will always help) and no doubt better people more qualified than myself can deal with that.

Thing is fact you capsized the boat prior to your issue adds a lot of weight against your case, any manufacturer can easily argue it was fit for the purpose when new etc ( also your own personal expert repairer counts for nothing as no doubt they will have 'their expert repairers' your boat has a history ie capsized, hard one to fight etc etc you get the drift ( will probably argue the merits of the boat for having survived a capsize so well etc)

Not meaning to come across as harsh but capsizing the boat really doesn't help you regardless of what your personal repairer may say,

I reckon take another tack, get them to use your boat in an advertising campaign to show how tough it was, survived a capsize etc

just a thought