PDA

View Full Version : Rope starting an E-Tec

juju
31-05-2007, 02:25 PM
While giving the boat a clean out after yesterdays trip , i decided to have a go at teh rope starting bit...it is possible to stand on the back of the boat and take the cover of the 75, and disconnect the fuse,then it says "lift the flywheel cover out of the way"....had a good fiddle but cant see how you can do that without disconnecting other stuff, it lifts but not fully out of the way....then i cnat see how you are ment to get the rope on the flywheel that easy...i got it on , but took a fair bit of poking....then went to pull it over...nope....not this little back duck.......wondering if anyone else has tried it, or had to start that way....

Noelm
31-05-2007, 02:32 PM
never tried an etec specificly but have done so on an in line 6 Merc, and a 120 Evinrude, none are easy, but a lot easier than a swim home, and I can tell you, if you HAVE to you certainly will do it.

disorderly
31-05-2007, 03:51 PM
never tried an etec specificly but have done so on an in line 6 Merc, and a 120 Evinrude, none are easy, but a lot easier than a swim home, and I can tell you, if you HAVE to you certainly will do it.

Some useful advise there,Noel.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/tongue.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

juju,the easiest way I found is to remove the 4 phillips head screws,peel back the wiring and remove the flywheel cover entirely. A bit impractical,though.
I have lined up with the dealer to show me next tuesday if there is an easier way.
They have never done it!
If no one has an easier way I will let you know what they come up with.

cheers Scott

sea raider
31-05-2007, 04:28 PM
I cant remember the exact details but I found that the cowling lifted up fairly easily but the rope was a bitfunny to put on, I remember that I wound it round the flywheel twice, which was more than I needed.

Oh, and dont forget, when you unclip the fuse, dont let the fuse slip out of the holder otherwise it will be like a cockroach at State of Origin, GAME OVER!!!

Cheers

Geoff

juju
31-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Just one of those things that i felt might be better having a practice at in the front yard in daylight.....just in case its ever needed.......as a side line i droped the rope today....that would have made the whole process even more interresting....might put a spare rope in...

disorderly
31-05-2007, 05:10 PM
I made up a spare pull rope (just in case)but I used a thinner nylon rope.I thought it may have been easier to fit around the flywheel but i could not get it to grab hard onto the notch.It just kept pulling out as soon as any tension was applied.
Maybe I should just put another battery in the boat.

Scott

Fish Guts
31-05-2007, 05:17 PM
good topic. in regards to starting it. do you just turn the key to acc and give it a good old yank ? is there any recoil from the cord when it fires over ? would nearrly rip your arm out of its socket !

punta
31-05-2007, 05:57 PM
JuJu i have a 90 e-tec and had a go in the back yard first,not a bad idea just so you know what your up against if ever a problem should arise.Found it very similar to how Disorderly described with the screws and some wiring which needed easing back but it fired first shot.The rope is a little tight at the front of the fly wheel but goes on with a bit of pressure.You do have to give it a bit when you pull the rope but that's to be expected,we ain't starting a 6hp motor here.Gives you added confidence knowing it will still start should the battery die.

BM
31-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Rope starting outboards is pretty easy. A friend of mine with 45yrs int he trade (he's 75 now) can pull start a 200hp V6......

Its all about technique. Key in the "on" position, warm up lever up, fuel primed, yank HARD, not so much a immediate YANK, but more of a hard sustained drag through the length of th ecord.

Sh!t, if a 75yr old bloke can do it, those of you that are younger and cannot need to ask some questions..

I had a customers 92 model 115hp 4 cylinder Merc in for complete rebuild a little while ago and upon reassembly with his flat batteries it was easier just to pull start it to adjust the engine settings. No problem whatsoever.

Its not hard guys, infact its very easy. Thats why they put the pull start rope there in the first place.

Cheers

disorderly
31-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Nic,
The problem with my Etec is not so much the effort needed to pull the rope(although there is quite a bit of compression there),its a bit of a drama to actually fit the rope around the flywheel due to all the bloody wires screwed onto the flywheel cover and the tight fit of the flywheel cover itself.
I also am a bit wary of too much pushing and pulling of the flimsy cover as it feels as if something will break or I will damage some wiring or connections whilst trying to get it out of the way enough to be able to fit the rope on.
Nic,have you actually pull started an Etec?.If so a step by step guide would be much appreciated as I dont find it "very easy" at all.

cheers Scott

BM
31-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Gee... you've done it now Scott!!!! :( :) :)

I'll see if I can tee up with an Etec delaer to go pull start one next week and will report back.

Cheers

punta
31-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Disorderly it not as if you need to do this every time you want to move mate,fingers crossed you never have to but knowing how is a bit of peace of mind should the circumstance arise.

disorderly
05-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Ok guys,

Took the boat in to the dealer today.
Got a software update and had a look at the "history" on the laptop.
Also ordered a new tacho,for the second time.Anybody else had a dud tacho?

As for rope starting well it is very easy,but as stated above first remove the phillips head screws .Then pull back any wiring so you can remove the flywheel cover entirely.Then wrap your rope around the flywheel(easing it between the starter motor and also the metal engine timing pointer).Turn your key on and give it a yank...it should start first time (Fishguts, no recoil as the rope pulls free).
This will get you started,as for the flywheel cover ,you can leave it off (as long as the wires and fuses are pulled back out of the way.Maybe a ziptie or something.
Or you could run the engine a while until there is enough charge in the battery,stop it and put the cover back on.
Either way it may never be necessary to start the motor with the rope,but as punta states above its a good backup.
I,d recommend trying it on dry land first as there are a few grommets,screws and covers which are easily dropped..

So BM and punta you are indeed correct...pretty easy really.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Cheers

Scott

Fish Guts
05-06-2007, 11:44 AM
cheers scott. good info

juju
05-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Ok guys,

Took the boat in to the dealer today.
Got a software update and had a look at the "history" on the laptop.
Also ordered a new tacho,for the second time.Anybody else had a dud tacho?

As for rope starting well it is very easy,but as stated above first remove the phillips head screws .Then pull back any wiring so you can remove the flywheel cover entirely.Then wrap your rope around the flywheel(easing it between the starter motor and also the metal engine timing pointer).Turn your key on and give it a yank...it should start first time (Fishguts, no recoil as the rope pulls free).
This will get you started,as for the flywheel cover ,you can leave it off (as long as the wires and fuses are pulled back out of the way.Maybe a ziptie or something.
Or you could run the engine a while until there is enough charge in the battery,stop it and put the cover back on.
Either way it may never be necessary to start the motor with the rope,but as punta states above its a good backup.
I,d recommend trying it on dry land first as there are a few grommets,screws and covers which are easily dropped..

So BM and punta you are indeed correct...pretty easy really.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Cheers

Scott

Ill have to give it another go.....i had a feeling some of that stuff would have to come off.......still would be interesting say if it was dark and the boat was kicking around in a bit of a chop

oldie
05-06-2007, 03:57 PM
or you can buy a yamaha and never have the issue!!!!
making sure batteries are in good condition can eliminate flat ones, a spare up fron tin boat is always good thing to have, i tried starting a 70hp johno with rope, no hope lucky a friend who was in another boat passed me a spare bat and off we went, I cant see why you'll need to start one with a rope they claim to be so reliable and safe!!!
Oldie

johnsonMAN
05-06-2007, 05:48 PM
HMMMMMMMM look below

johnsonMAN
05-06-2007, 05:52 PM
ok then but thats possible with any engine. I will admit all engines these days are good but some better the opposition and are in different price ranges for example.

2 strokes
If you can go buy a tohatsu 50hp for just over $5500
or you can buy a Yamaha 50hp for $6500 im guessing???
Or you can buy an E-tec for around 6 - 7 thousand.
These 3 motors are all good and offer good warranties and you can make the decision but the reliability and . I have a 3.5hp auxillary tohatsu ot cost $800 and the kids use it all the time. It is great. If the E-tec portables dont hurry up and come to aus then i will be buying a 25 or 30 tohatsu.

The E-tecs "supposebly" sink yamaha's if you have not seen this video i suggest you look on youtube under EVINRUDE ETEC's

Thanks guys and this is just my opinion and sorry if the prices are wrong.

Getout
05-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Batteries aren't always the problem. I had a starter motor pinion fail once so I had to pull start a johhno 90. Not too hard if you prime as per the instructions.

Ron173
12-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Interesting one, this one, I tried to rope start my 90 etec once, but bottled out as i saw potential for the rope to get stuck on the timing pointer or not release properly.

I might try again with the flywheel cover totally removed, best thing would be to ask dealer to demonstrate it.

I actually had a flat battery in mine once, it had sat for bout 6 weeks, and actually kicked over and would have started but i forgot to reprime the line. (a practice my dealer recommends if not used for over a few weeks) I tried the rope thing but couldnt figure out how to get it in properly without fouling cover, so jumped it off ute.

I now have a solar trickle charger on it, which just sits on back and disconnects quickly and easily when going to use. ($30 crazy clarks)

I now also periodically check my voltage by switching on sounder.

all above said, i do want to master the art of the rope start, so might have another go with the flywheel cover totally removed.

Still interested to hear others opinions on this one.

Ron

sea raider
12-06-2007, 12:27 PM
or you can buy a yamaha and never have the issue!!!!

What, you never get flat batteries with a Yamaha???

Now Thats technology

disorderly
12-06-2007, 01:26 PM
What, you never get flat batteries with a Yamaha???

Now Thats technology

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Noelm
12-06-2007, 02:18 PM
yep, Yamahas are that good, never ever break down, (I heard that all Yamaha service guys are now out of work) never get flat batteries and they never need petrol either, they are just THAT good! I think people need to "get a grip" on "marine life" all the newer motors are good, all of them have some sort of problem at some time, all of them make noise and use non renewable fuel, but we still have them and swear the brand you have is the best in the World and no one can tell you any different!, but simple fact is 2 or 4 stroke, they are all good, all have pluses and minusus, all corrode to some degree, all need routine maintenance, and all can give us great joy and indeed great headaches as well at times, but they ALL beat rowing to go fishing out at the shelf!

Noelm
12-06-2007, 02:22 PM
and I forgot to add, if you really HAVE to, you will start it with a rope, might be a tad hard to get at and pull, but if it is a matter of life or death, or a fifty mile swim, you can pull that rope! you will be amazed at what a person can do when faced with dire need! (not just a trial run at home in the driveway)

juju
12-06-2007, 05:05 PM
My problem is a bad back and a slim build, i dont mind admitting to the fact that i lack the strength that i reckon it would require to turn it over, the old man is 73 and i reckon he could.....im not about to hit the gym.....might think of a second battery setup just in case.....and join the VMR....

disorderly
12-06-2007, 06:12 PM
juju,

If your back can handle being in an alloy boat on the open ocean,I,d reckon you could pull start the motor.
It requires minimal effort.Just try it on dry land .I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Scott

abbot_86
12-06-2007, 09:38 PM
as far as removeing the main fuse ,is that for all engines or just e-tecs i have a 70 horse yamaha 2 stroke , i tried to start it with a rope the other day but couldnt, i didnt take the fuse out though, is this why it didnt start

MyEscape
14-06-2007, 05:31 AM
Just a thought on the jump starting issue.

It would be highly unlikely that you would take off from the ramp if you had to pull start your outboard (electric start only). Unless you were confident that the battery (if that's the problem, would recharge). So the situation is more likely the motor has been run that day and probably still warm when you need to start it/return home. So I'd say it's probably a fair test (at home) to give your motor a run to warm it up, leave it for an hour or 2, then give a pull start to see how easy? it is.

Steve

Getout
14-06-2007, 07:27 AM
They are always easier to start out of the water without exhaust back pressure.