PDA

View Full Version : Murray Cod in tank

reelchippy
31-05-2007, 07:05 AM
Has any had a murray in a tank but give them no structure in hide in.I would like to know if doesn't have a hidey spot will it stress. cheers

Leigh77
31-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Depending what you use on the bottom of the tank (small rock/sand etc) chances are the cod will make its own...more then likely in the way of a hole.

But, they do like a bit of cover, even if it is a few rocks stacked up. You dont have to create a cave for them to hide in...just enough for them to call home.

My first one made its home on top of a sunken XXXX can.

P.S the tank it was in was a 6' that was setup rather different to most people....one end was normal, beautifully setup snags, plantlife and so...the other end was the human impact affect...old cans, bit of a tyre, and other general rubbish. And yes, the cod chose the can as its holding area. Go figure!

Pumba
31-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Hey Reelchippy,
With the the Murrays or any of the secretive natives sometimes it is best to overload the tank with hiding spots so that the fish feel safe. When you do this the fish are more likely to come out in the open as they know that when they get spooked they have a hidey hole to duck too straight away.

If you dont give them somewhere to hide, they will try to hide where they can- behind filters, heaters or sit vertically in the corners of the tank. They are also little magnets for white spot, especially at this time of year. Keeping them happy will help to reduce the risk of them getting white spot or some other stress related diseases.

If you want some more info, PM me.

Cheers,
Matt

bdowdy
01-06-2007, 06:48 PM
the murry cod is a structure fish and would stress out i reckon if it didnt have somewhere to hide. cheers bdowdy

Bronson
01-06-2007, 11:00 PM
hey mate had a 30cm murry cod in my tank and had no structure at all just a few small plants but there are great fish but as soon as they think they have found something they want to live in they stay there and no other fish will be able to live there as they get very teritorial but after a while i put a PVC pipe in there and as soon as it whent in there he never came out witch was really boreing and he was like glued there and only ever came out to feed for like 2 seconds then went stright back into his little home even when he outgrew the PVC pipe he still sqeezed himself in there one dam had do take the Pipe out of the tank with him stuck in it and get hime out funny fish but yeah i recon small bits of structure everywhere so he feels safe

bassbuster
05-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Are all the cod family simular in the ways. I currenty have two 25mm barra in a 6 foot tank. I saw some sleepy cod for sale and concidered putting one or two in the tank with the barra. The sleepies are about the same size as the barra.
Has anyone tried this mix?

Bassbuster.

bdowdy
05-06-2007, 09:45 PM
yep dont even worry about trying it had 2 nice sleepy cod that were about the same size maybe a little bigger and my barra ate both. ....PIG..... have got him with a bass now and is still very dominant they were both the same size a month ago and now the barra is twice the size , doesnt give the bass the chance . i have to fill the barra before the bass can eat. cheers bdowdy