PDA

View Full Version : Wife blew the head gaskett on me V6

Roughasguts
30-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Hi guy's was really impressed this morning apart from work the missus gives me the day off from looking after the kids and shopping and you name it.
So 1\2 hour in to me day off first one in 18 months, I get a call the 93 model Toyota is doing the steam train trick.

Hmmm go down with the Paj, I got 3 vehicles no real problem losing one, fill it up with water and she's frothing like a frozen beer out the radiator cap. Oh well she's stuffed blown head gaskett. So I get her home after 3 stops to fill with water after steaming and hissing only 8 K's as well.

Okay don't wan't to play Mechanic any more and pull it down and spend big bucks on it.

So I buy a bottle of Car-Go Metallic Seal- up, 8 bucks, money wasted me thinks.

So get back to me house actually read the instructions, and then totally ignore them, I mean who's going to run a radiator cleaner through it now.

Fill with water start her up frothing like you wouldn't beleive, hmmm can't pour the stuff in while the motors running, bugger.

Shut the motor off, and shake the sh!t out of this stuff clear at the top brown at the bottom, top up with water cap on, and kick her in the gut's.

Well Bugger me if she ain't over heated, started frothing or any thing that she was doing before.

Now I don't for a moment think this is a permanent repair, and me kids won't be going around Australia in the car, or to Hospital for that matter.

But the stuff is working fine for the moment.... and another bottle is going in to me tool box for me family holidays, in the Pajero, cause once your head gaskett is gone ain't no stopping the water pouring out. (you going to need plenty) So seeing as it has stopped that it gets my seal of approval as a emergency repair, who knows may even be permanent.

Noelm
30-05-2007, 02:41 PM
most of that type of stuff, will seal (almost permanently) a hole in the lower sections of the cooling system, if the hole is high up, the water (and sealant) is gone and no longer completely covering the hole, so it does not work (usually) but I kind of doubt that you had a blown head gasket and it sealed it, there is a lot of pressure in the head, but you never know.

Roughasguts
30-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Yup got me stuffed too, there be a lot of pressure in that head gaskett once theres a hole in it. What's got me stuffed is how does the stuff get in there with the gasses pushing it out.

But yeah she's the head gaskett, not much dought when you get all them little bubbles frothing away, and blowing straight out the over flow whithin 30 seconds of start up.

Dirtysanchez
30-05-2007, 03:07 PM
How about the oil ? it'd have to be turning milky from water ingress by now.. Another tell tale on head gaskets.

Sounds like fun !! not :P

Roughasguts
30-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Nah the oil is still the same and the filler cap don't look like iced coffee.
Yeah not much fun at all. I drive the car to work and do a thousand k's a week in it, it's done 320, 0000 K'm and not really worth more than a couple of grand at most. So spending money on her and repairing properly, is probably not worth the money or the effort. So I might just have to throw her away eventually.

I did just top up the radiator though, might be throwing it out the exhaust, bummer.

Roughasguts
30-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Hmmm well it doesn't froth from the radiator filler cap, anymore no bubbles, doesn't get hot, no water or raising of the crank case level. But she's still losing water, around a litre in 40 k's. Hmmm no condensation in the exhaust.

Oh and no radiator pressure at all, just rip the cap off, no pressure in the hoses to speak of.

So I guess I just have a leak in me cooling system from the primary failure as to why the head gaskett blew in the first place.

Man that's going to be hard to find can't find evidence anywhere, probably the water pump.

So all is not lost just yet.

Sorry for kind'a thinking out loud.

dogsbody
30-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Gday RAG how's the hoses? What about the heating system, could be leaking.

Dave.

gone_fishing
30-05-2007, 05:10 PM
would be worth putting a presure tester on the old girl that will find your leak if external
look for stains down the side of the block

Roughasguts
30-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Yep time for a pressure test thank's fella's.
Have to put some nice green coolant in her first, see if it shows up better.
Hoses look good as far as I can tell, no coolant smell inside the car when the heater is on.

Heres hoping for another day off in the near future, so I can find it.
Not driving her the 220 K round trip to work until I find the problem that's for sure.

sambos
30-05-2007, 06:24 PM
mate i,m not much of a mechanic .i,m a chippy and i,m buggered if i.d drive 220 klms a day for work<another 2.5 hours travel time on top of your day>id be after a new job or it would have to pay real well<probably the case with your 3 cars>

good luck with your chemical fix
rick

Roughasguts
30-05-2007, 07:32 PM
He, he yeah your right Sambo, at least 2.5 to 3 hours driving on top of me 12 hour shift. But then I only do 3 or 4 shifts and get three to eight days off before I do it again. That be the reason why I do it, but it only just pays the bills now so losing one car would be better come Rego time.

Got 3 cars cause I thought this one was out for the count when it done the transmission, So bought a V6 Altise to replace it, then got the tranny replaced on the cheap. Trouble is the older one is so much nicer to drive than the newer one.

KGW3
04-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Try some of this... Not cheap, but it WORKS and you'll get another 200k out the ol bucket... Dont worry about the instructions, they are for those who can read.
Just put it in and leave it there.

http://www.irontite.com/

Roughasguts
04-06-2007, 05:22 PM
KGW3, thanks for that do you know where I can get it locally.
Never seen the stuff on the shelves here before.

Yes the prognosis on the bucket is not good, 3.5-4 K to pull the motor out do the heads and water pump, and timing belt.

And I will still have an old bucket worth less than a grand as a trade in.

Funny thing is she drives really well still, but she loses water out the exhaust slowly but surely. So with these water restrictions I might be fined.

sea raider
05-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Geez, you got me all excited with that title, something about the wife blowing??

Roughasguts
05-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Yup sea raider she's blown Toyota, x3, Mitsubishi x2, Nissan x2.
the bank account, definately something sus there.
And me ...................................... you guest it x a big fat zero.

KGW3
22-06-2007, 02:49 PM
We bought some at Repco .. about 25$ for a small bottle of "magic"

Roughasguts
22-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Thank's KGW3, will have a look.
So far the car is holding out really well with the glass beads, still doing a thousand K's a week and using around 200ml of water in that time.

But can't see it holding out for very long, so I carry around 14 litres of water and another bottle of the stuff already in it, just in case.
Don't like the idea of getting stuck on F3 at 04:30 in the morning.

Foxy4
22-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Sounds like the sorta stuff I need to drink at times. Might cure some of the dramas in life???

sea raider
23-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Lucky bugger, my wife doesn't blow anything!!

:'( :'( :'( :'(

Cheers

Geoff