PDA

View Full Version : new electric

Full2thebream
29-05-2007, 09:27 PM
looking at getting a watersnake electric motor as im about to start in a few bream comps .. was thinking a transon mount 44lpound as im in a 3.7 tinny and do most of my fishing from back to the middle of the boat.... wat are peoples thoughts on this... thanks

Dan5
29-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey mate will the eletric be your primary motor? If not you would get away with a 27lb tiller i had one on a 385 explorer ages ago and it was fine for chasing barra around corroboree lagoon it only had 5speed throttle trolled great at 3 and lasted for about 5hrs solid on 540cca standard battery

Full2thebream
30-05-2007, 08:23 AM
dan5 ive got a 15 merc on the boat and looking for the electric as well just too sneak along the rocks in chase of bream.. would also use it in chase of cod when we target them.. think i will go tiller model cos if trolling seats and all are down back..

Archer
30-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Mate id def go the bow mount ALOT easier to use.....I have the 54lb watersnake and the pedal cord is easily long enough to reach the back of my 390 Hornet.

SWFISHER
31-05-2007, 10:03 AM
CHECK THIS OUT MATE

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=110355

THANKS KEVIN 0411227304

Full2thebream
31-05-2007, 01:53 PM
hey guys pretty sure ill go with the tiller steer model... time will tell if thats the rite way to go but i think it is.. SWFisher thank anyway but fish in salt so will give yours a miss...

NormC
31-05-2007, 02:59 PM
I've got a 40 lb transom mount on my 3.5 m tinnie, along with the 15 HP outboard. It does the job, BUT I'm now looking to upgrade to a bow mount.

Just got back from an 11 week fishing trip, including 6 weeks in the Gulf (NT). Main fishing method was flicking lures into snags for Barra and Jacks. We had a great time, but fishing would have been much more enjoyable with foot controls for the elec.

It really got to be a bit of a pain a few times with tide running and a bit of wind, trying to maintain a position or drift for flicking. The problem was constantly reaching for the motor. Often, I'd leave it a few seconds too long ( say till I had finished a retreive) and the boat would have swung way off the ideal casting position, it took 20 secs or more at times to get back into position. My problem was a bit worse as my fishing partner was my wife. She is a great fishing buddy, but is just mastering a baitcaster, so I have to have the boat pointing is the right direction for her. Also, her casting distance is not as good as mine, so she is a bit less tollerant of the boat being out of position.

For my money, I'd go for a bow mount with foot controls. But it's your money and if you get a transom mount, I'd recommend you get an extension for the controls so you can at least easily operate the motor from a standing position.

All that said, I wouldn't be without an elec motor for my style of fishing.