PDA

View Full Version : where can a 4.3 tinnie go

zaraspook
29-05-2007, 09:12 PM
i have a 2003 model 4.3m horizon tinnie with a reliable 40 merc and was just wondering how far boats of this size can go in coastal waters. can anybody with a similar boat tell me where they take theirs and their limitations here are the manufactureres specs on this boat length overall4.35mlength (bow to transom)4.35mbeam1.95mdepth1.10mbottom sheet3mmside sheet2mmtransomlong shaftweight (boat only)190kghorsepower rec.40hphorsepower max50hpmax transom weight120kgpax4 ppl

Dan5
29-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey zara, dunno how far ya could take it depends soley on the weather really.Just wanted to ask if it's the northerner hull as i've got one on order and have been waiting for it to get here. Thanks Dan .....

zaraspook
29-05-2007, 09:30 PM
i am not sure it is a 2003 c-pro but the specifications on it are identical to those of the northender and it looks to be the same only difference is mine is rated for 5 people and not 4 and has a casting platform factory and full floor and paint ect

Dan5
29-05-2007, 09:34 PM
How's it go with the 40? puttin a 50 suzi on mine the northerner's got all the fruit casting deck underfloor tank paint etc

zaraspook
29-05-2007, 09:38 PM
40 goes alright gets up quick, top speed is alright but not the same as a vbow but the deepv is good for the chop mainly use mine for the dams but am starting to venture into saltwater which means i have never really tested it to its limits i would imagine a 50 would be even better

joeT
29-05-2007, 09:43 PM
I think how far you can go will depend on the skills/knowledge of the driver and then the prevailing weather conditions, and then limited to how much fuel you can carry on board.

Raesen
29-05-2007, 09:44 PM
zaraspook
Mate i've seen a 4.3 tinnie out at Murphy's reef (but glad I wasn't on board). Stick with dan 5 and go with the weather and also what you and the boat is comfortable with.
Cheers
Pete

preso
29-05-2007, 09:45 PM
:-/ Have a mate who, 2 weeks ago, went out to the Barwon Banks. he stayed overnight and came back the following arvo. This is about 70k offshore:huh: .This was in a 4.35 tinny(stessco I believe) with a 30hp. Whilst this may seem CRAZY the weather was spot on, and he does know what he's doing. Having said that NOT WITH ME IN THE BOAT. Reckons he only used 35l of fuel.:o

Dan5
29-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Okay what's the quality of the boat like i've heard some bad comments on them the dealer here had a few larger one's in stock they all seemed quite reasonable for a production hull no worse than any of the other one's that's for sure infact i'd have to say the welding was better than average

Blackened
29-05-2007, 10:29 PM
G'day

I'll put my 2 cents in....... A boat will do whatever you like it to within reason of its design limits.

In the brisbane area i'd have no hesitation taking a 4.35 open boat from ipswich in the bremer all the way out to moreton and ooffshore bribie/gold coast.

This is of course the skipper has great knowledge of the area, weather, expected weather and effects and knows their boat very well.

If anything happens out there, its a bloody big ocean.

Dave

Jeremy
30-05-2007, 06:48 AM
The above replies are spot on - depends entirely on the skill and confidence of the skipper in the boat and their ability and petrol carried. Do some shorter trips offshore first and you will naturally progress to longer trips as your confidence grows. I reckon it is a great idea to carry a reserve in a seperate tank (eg 20 litre jerry can).

I have had my 4.3m centre console (actually 4.5m LOA) 30 km off the Gold Coast. Regularly fish 5, 7 and 12 mile reefs off Caloundra, Murphies, 24s, 9 mile off Tweed etc.

A prominent ex-member of this site used to go alot further than that offshore. He goes out to the shelf and caught a blue marlin this year in a 4.35m tiller steer.

Jeremy

Poodroo
30-05-2007, 06:59 AM
I only have a 3.7 metre tinny (old quintrex) and it spends most of its time out in Moreton Bay (Wello, Green, St.Helena and even Mud Island) however I pick my days according to the weather. If the winds are up to 10 knots with waves up to 1metre on Seabreeze I will go to Wello first because it is close and it will give me an idea of how accurate Seabreeze was with their predictions. If they are correct and the conditions are glassy then I will happily motor all over the bay. If it is a bit choppy I will stay around Wello. If the winds are 15-20knots they are good days to put the kids in the tinny and head off to the Pin which is more sheltered to have a fish.

Regards,

Poodroo

bushbeachboy
30-05-2007, 07:08 AM
As stated above, you'll gain confidence and capability by doing a few trips. Start with shorter ones first, to gain experience with the sea and how your particular boat handles and rides.

I had a 4.35 Sea Jay SP tinny that I would take offshore a bit up in Townsville when I lived there. I started going out in the shipping channel, then over to the other side of Cleveland Bay to fish the creeks (about 12 km), then around Magnetic Island, out to Cordelia Rocks etc etc.

There were no worries, but before I went any distance offshore I ensured that I carried plenty of spare fuel and that the weather forecast was ok.

I would recommend a second fuel tank, as I think you might have difficulty pouring fuel from a jerry can into a tank in a bit of a sea.

Keep an eye on your weight distribution, and consider your passenger with regard to ride. They tend to get a bit upset when their kidneys are being vibrated out by banging in a tinny.:o

And remember your safety gear. You'll probably need to buy an epirb.

And remember to have fun!!!!

zaraspook
30-05-2007, 06:50 PM
in regards to dan5s comment the one i have is quite nicely welded seems very sturdy and is still in as new condition after 4 years of fairly heavy dam useage i did have an extra brace welded in the transom and extra ribbing up front for when i want to extend the casting deck though

3rd degree
30-05-2007, 08:21 PM
I'd be getting a bilge pump, just in case....

Cheers

Jim

Noelm
31-05-2007, 09:32 AM
still stand by my old adage, if you have to ask, you should not be going! end of story, the "how for" you can go depends on how much fuel you can store, an example (mind you a bit extreme) there was 2 guys in the USA went from somewhere like Florida to Bermuda in a "Flats Boat" kind of a punt type thing, so the size of the boat has ALMOST nothing to do with where it can go, if all goes well, like that guy who almost made it to NZ in a Kayak

lenm5
02-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Pick your days for offshore stuff.
It only takes a couple of rough & wet trips offshore in a small boat and your mates soon loose interest in fishing with you - so be prepared to end up fishing solo.

Lovey80
03-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Just start in close and as you get more confident venture further out. Just remember where you are going and be prepared for it. Dont want to go to the banks with 1 caddy of fuel.

Cheers Chris

sik008
03-06-2007, 07:59 PM
U could go where ever u feel comfortable at and how much fuel u can carry... You have to pik the good days. Be sure to carry all safety gear and dont go by yourself!!