PDA

View Full Version : Foam Filled Filled Floors

troy
29-05-2007, 07:50 PM
When i purschased my 625 Cruise Craft Outsider i was told that any fibreglass boat manufacted after 2006 was law yet i have not heard or seen comments on this.
Troy

sambos
29-05-2007, 08:08 PM
i,m unsure about the total floor mate.But i do know they must have a positive flotation.<therefore in the event of submersing the boat will remain at surface level>

bj
29-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Your Cruise Craft will have "basic floatation"

Chimo
29-05-2007, 08:14 PM
I thought 6 m was the size that didn't get the floatation Only boats smaller than this.

True or False?

Chimo

snelly1971
29-05-2007, 08:20 PM
I am not 100% sure but i think Chimo is on the right path

troy
30-05-2007, 04:50 AM
Chimo when i ordered my boat they told me that mine had to have it and that is what forced me to have the sens away breaks as the extra weight pushed it over the legal range.
Troy

troy
30-05-2007, 07:32 PM
I am surprised that this thread has not got much attention because at the time i was to take delivery of my boat i got hit with $3000.00 extra on my trailer because of the foam filled floor.
Got me buggered as i might have been ripped off.
Troy

Chimo
30-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Troy

These two may be some interest.

Why did your trailer cost an extra $3k?
Did you have to have foam in a boat longer than 6 m not that its not a good thing and worth having anyway?

As of Friday 29th September 2006 it is law in Queensland to affix an
Australian Builders Plate to new vessels. The Australian Builders Plate
applies to new vessels built after the 29th September 2006 including
recreational vessels, and those commercial and fishing vessels that are
exempt from registration under Transport Operations (Marine Safety)
Regulations 2004. The Australian Builders Plate requires the builders,
importers or competent persons to determine boat specific information
and display it on the plate. The information that needs to be provided
includes:

. Engine power rating and engine weight for outboard engines,
. Person capacity and maximum load,
. For vessels under 6 metres buoyancy information, and
. Warning statement about the alteration of the boat.

The information provided on the plate must be determined in accordance
with Australian or International standards for recreational vessel
design and construction.

There are two types of builder's plate, one for boats under 6 metres in
length and another for boats 6 metres or more. The key difference is
that vessels less than 6 metres need to display buoyancy information,
either basic or level flotation, but vessels 6 metres or more do not.

The compulsory display of the Australian Builders Plate will assist
consumers in selecting the appropriate boat for the right situation. It
will also provide guidance on operating boats safely, thereby reducing
the likelihood of being involved in a marine accident. The Australian
Builders Plate should be visible to the operator of the boat when
getting the boat underway, preferably in the cockpit or near the
steering position.

More information is available on the Maritime Safety Queensland website:
www.msq.qld.gov.au (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au) or for any further queries please do not hesitate in
contacting MSQ on (07) 3120 7359.

Chimo

seabug
30-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi Troy,
I have to agree with BJ.

If it is a foam filled floor it will be BASIC floatation.

That will stop it from sinking ,but it may float upside-down.

If you could put enough of a product like Microlen under the gunnels it would give you LEVEL floatation.

Then if you got swamped your boat should stay upright in the water

Be nice to be sitting in a swamped but level boat instead of holding onto an upturned boat a waving your legs to the sharks.

I would not know if it was mandatory at the time of purchase,but if you ever hit something and hole the hull you will consider that the money was well spent.
Regards
seabug

snelly1971
30-05-2007, 11:56 PM
I will be able to finally post some pictures of my boat fitted with Micro-Len fitted under the gunnels at the end of next week for all to see

Cheers Mick

Lewy
31-05-2007, 07:26 AM
The law does not state that you must have foam it only mentions floatation
you may have air tight compartments, most states in Australia now have the law not just Qld, it is about to or may already be national

Lewy

troy
31-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Chimo,When i ordered my boat the Quote was on a Redco Tandem Trailer with brakes for that size boat.
When they built the boat they added the foam filled floor.
Cruise Craft then contacted the Dealer and informed them that this boat was now illegal for the trailer they quoted me for.
From memory i think the foam filled floor pushed it over the limit by 200 kgs andsaid i would now have to have a trailer with sens away brakes which would cost a extra $3000.00.
I did a thread on this at the time and Cruse Craft and the Dealership and myself split the extra cost as i had already been quoted a price on the complete rig and just before delivery i got hit for a extra $3000.00.
Troy

seabug
31-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Chimo,When i ordered my boat the Quote was on a Redco Tandem Trailer with brakes for that size boat.
When they built the boat they added the foam filled floor.
Cruise Craft then contacted the Dealer and informed them that this boat was now illegal for the trailer they quoted me for.
From memory i think the foam filled floor pushed it over the limit by 200 kgs andsaid i would now have to have a trailer with sens away brakes which would cost a extra $3000.00.
I did a thread on this at the time and Cruse Craft and the Dealership and myself split the extra cost as i had already been quoted a price on the complete rig and just before delivery i got hit for a extra $3000.00.
Troy

Are you saying that after paying only a third of the cost of Floatation and Sense -brake trailer you are not happy?

Regards
seabug

cbs
31-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Do you realise how much foam is 200kg? 200kg of foam at 30 kg/m3 equates to 6.7 cubic metres. That foam will provide 6.6tonnes of buoyancy. Now forgetting that the boats itself does have some inherent buoyancy, I doulbt your boat weighs even close to that.

No way would you have 6.7 cubic metres of spare space to fit that all in either........

troy
31-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Are you saying that after paying only a third of the cost of Floatation and Sense -brake trailer you are not happy?

Regards
seabug
Seabug,
No i was not happy as i was quoted a price on the the whole outfit and had budgeted for it and at close to delievry i was hit for another $3000.00 that i did not have
Troy

troy
31-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Do you realise how much foam is 200kg? 200kg of foam at 30 kg/m3 equates to 6.7 cubic metres. That foam will provide 6.6tonnes of buoyancy. Now forgetting that the boats itself does have some inherent buoyancy, I doulbt your boat weighs even close to that.

No way would you have 6.7 cubic metres of spare space to fit that all in either........
I can only tell you what was said to me by the dealer.
Troy

PinHead
31-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Seabug,
No i was not happy as i was quoted a price on the the whole outfit and had budgeted for it and at close to delievry i was hit for another $3000.00 that i did not have
Troy
you should have just told them you were not paying the extra money...for them to deliver what was on the contract for the dollars on the contract

dnej
31-05-2007, 08:01 PM
www.mast.tas.gov.au/.../LookupFiles/Boatwise%20Spring%202006.pdf (http://www.mast.tas.gov.au/.../LookupFiles/Boatwise%20Spring%202006.pdf)
This is an excellent article on how to calculate the requirements for floatation,and where to place same.
Not quite part of your question, but appropriate in any case
David

seabug
31-05-2007, 08:33 PM

Perhaps they miscalculated and used about 100> extra litres of resin and fibreglass.

Regards
seabug

cbs
31-05-2007, 09:23 PM
To give you guys an idea of the quantities,

For an 8.5m grp open boat (no cab) with twin 200hp outboards that weighed around the two tonne mark, we required by calculation, around 1.7 cubic metres required or about 50 kg of foam. Note that the buoyancy of the foam (~1700kg) is less than the entire weight of the vessel due to the materials being partly buoyant. Foam weight would be somewhere around 51 kg in this case.

Disclaimer: Example only, do not take these numbers for any 2 t boat. They won't apply. Consult your manufacturer if you are concerned. I sometimes have to do these calcs from time to time.

cbs