PDA

View Full Version : Engine Flush Additives?

Nine Lives
29-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi all,
I have heard recently that some people add anti corosive green coolant at engine flush and another mate recons he puts dish washing liquid and lanolin into the water for flushing. Is this recomended or is it just BS.:-/

Cheers NineLives

Fish Guts
29-05-2007, 07:57 PM
hey ninelives,

think theres been a few threads on this already. i think the general concensus was to steer clear of them and stick to water.

Nepenthe
30-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Hey Ninelives,

I have just started using a product called MACS (Marine Anti Corrosion System) which is added to the flushing water via an in line injector, fits to your flushing device. Adds about 50ml per flush. Dont know the long term benefits but seems like a good idea, supposed to break up salt crystals and add a protective film.
Not sure if this gear was mentioned in the previous posts, perhaps Fish Guts can let us know.

Cheers Gio

BM
30-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I believe the current products on the market have been tested to see if they actually work and the result is use water instead....

I'll see if I can locate some test info. A mate of mine (industrial chemist) is designing a product at present to flush with although as he stipulated, it actually will work. They have it working now but they are testing the effects of it on engine rubbers and thermostats etc

Probably be available in around 12 months or less.

Roughasguts
30-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Whats wrong with running the motor in fresh water.
Hot water disolves salt, probably better than a additive that's not going to sit in your motor for more than a few seconds then get spat out the exhaust.

And as for a coating on the internals, dish washing liquid has salt in it, (car wash doesn't)
But if you have a two stroke the oil in the exhaust will get sucked up in the flush and slowly coat your internals.

Hopfully not that much oil that sand and gunk gets stuck to the oil coating and eventually blocks things up.

Nine Lives
30-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks

I thought that might be the case cant beat the old H2O,

Cheers Nine Lives