PDA

View Full Version : What lb braid to use??

wazza66
29-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Picked up my new Symetre 4000 today to use for flicking soft plastics offshore for snapper.

The reel is going onto a custom made 6-8kg spin stick, but I am not quite sure what lb braid to put on it.

I will be fishing between 120 and 160 feet off the Gold Coast.

Any advice would be helpfull.

Cheers,
Wazza

breamnut
29-05-2007, 08:39 PM
mate 10 lb firline is fine!
remember that fireline breaks at 3-4times over its breaking strain.
PE braid breaks at its recomended breaking strain but is extremly thin.
there is new stuff out called sun line cast away and the 50lb is about as thin if not thinner then 10 lb fireline

land-lubber
29-05-2007, 08:47 PM
14-20lb in a thinner diametre braid, id recommend finns for that type of work on that reel.
cheers

daledog
30-05-2007, 04:23 PM
The new PE braids (such as castaway) are really fantastic but id watch them for abrasion resistance, especially if your chasing snaps and such, because they are so thin. Having a thin line is great for capacity and wind and water resistance but yeah they loose out when it comes to abrasion. I have also had reports from a few mates that they have found it breaks easlily once it has been kinked etc. (due to 1 or more of the strands being damaged or broken when bent, thus weakening that entire section)
Personally im using 20lb tuf line for my soft plastic snaps and havent been dusted in the kelp or anything yet, just bending jig heads.

Dale

snelly1971
31-05-2007, 12:03 AM
10-15 lb Fins....Personally my choice of braid....

Cheers Mick

plastic_paul
31-05-2007, 05:19 AM
i use 20lb finns have been done a couple of times but also caught an average 90cm Cobia and a 95cm Mack Tuna on it also, ya never know what your gonna get! its a blast

Scalem
02-06-2007, 08:38 AM
8KG Sensor Braid if you can afford it.

The colour of the braid changes according to what depth you are in, so if you don't know if you have let enough line out, the colour of the braid will help to understand where you got fish according to what depth they are holding

Scalem

Wahoo
02-06-2007, 01:40 PM
8KG Sensor Braid if you can afford it.

The colour of the braid changes according to what depth you are in, so if you don't know if you have let enough line out, the colour of the braid will help to understand where you got fish according to what depth they are holding

Scalem

yep i agree with Scalem

Daz

simonpp82
02-06-2007, 07:29 PM
I'll also agree with scalem regarding the coloured braid. I loaded my new 4000 caldia kix with 20lb yamatao pe braid and i've gotta say im very happy with it. The colour scheme helps you to understand where your lure is all the time and the knot strength is really impressive. In the last month since having it i've landed a 30kg GT (first trip with my new setup!), a 10kg cobia and several snapper ranging from pan size to 6kg. The added capacity of such a thin line is a real bonus when theres a chance at hooking a monster too!

Scalem
03-06-2007, 07:05 PM
A slight clarification - I seldom get the chance to go offshore and don't own a spool of sensor braid, but the luxury liner and her captain I get to deckie for occasionally, has tried many brands, and when I fished alongside using another brand, I wittnessed 1st hand the benefits of using Sensor. While I was still wondering if I had reached bottom, there was no doubt that the captain had by the colour of the line where it meets the water. You are then able to brace yourself for the very likely strike as you are in the right zone.

When I budget for a large offshore reel ( I mostly fish the bay areas) I will hopefully be able to get the SB at an affordable price.

Scalem