PDA

View Full Version : My first wrappy thingo

finga
29-05-2007, 06:34 PM
I've been a tad preoccupied so far this week.
DaveB came around on Saturday and showed me how to use Visual Wrap and I'm literally wrapped (pardon the pun ::)).
I had a few things to do on Sunday (bloody horses) so Monday was 'W' day.
I tried my first wrappy thingo.
At the start I was :shy: but just occasionally I turned to :stare: and there was a time or two when I went all :wut: but I'm pretty happy with the result thus far.
It took 8 hours without the finishing touches. My eyes are shot now. :freak:
All I have to figure out is how to spin the rod with a 'You beaut nancy fancy pistol butt' so the finish can dry.
I've altered the drier setup from what I had to a chuck so I might have to swap back or build another drier.
Anyways here's my first unfinished effort :)

Sorry about the not too flash pictures :-[

dogsbody
29-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Looks bloody fantastic Scott im sure you'll come up with a spin thingy for it. Well done.

Dave.

Owen
29-05-2007, 08:54 PM
That's going to be one flash rod there bloke :thumbsup:

Well done.

sandyd
30-05-2007, 08:26 AM
I am impressed, now you can come up this way and show me how to wrap. Well done Scott.

DaveB
31-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Awesome Scott, well done :D

I've had a minor disaster at my end, 1st epoxy coat contaminated with something, hoping to recover from it tonight in time for Sat.

Thanks for posting pics.

Regards
Dave B

sid_fishes
31-05-2007, 08:31 PM
after he,s done showing me sandy, no wonder we did not hear from you this week, it looks great mate ,,,well done cheers ian

2DKnBJ
01-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Looks bloody fantastic Scott.
No doubt you will come up with a way to spin the rod.
Now that we have spent all this time on our rods let's see if we can catch any fish with them.

Cheers Dazza

finga
02-06-2007, 05:53 AM
Looks bloody fantastic Scott.
No doubt you will come up with a way to spin the rod.
Now that we have spent all this time on our rods let's see if we can catch any fish with them.

Cheers Dazza
Mate I sorted the spinny problem. Went real high tech on this one. I made an infinitely flexible coupling onto the drier that can fit any rod butt in it. It took me a day and a bit the figure it out in my head. (yeah I know I'm a bit slow:'() and a minute and a half to build. And it worked out brilliantly.
Sometimes the simple things work best (Hopefully I'm not the simple one??:-/)
As for using the rod.....you have to flaming nuts to use a rod after all the effort encase it gets broken...bloody hell I've spent at least 3 full days on the mongrel.
Bugger that theory...use it and if it breaks strip the runners and stuff off and it's then a tomatoe stake :)
I just have to get used to using an overhead and NOT get the tangles. Better still I'd better buy an overhead now to be able to use it ;D
Should have the last coat on tonight or tomorow night I'll do another picture of the finished thing.
The aluminium thingo on the LHS is the normal chucky thingo to bung the rods into to get them dizzy.

choppa
02-06-2007, 06:42 AM
is this what your've been doing the last week or so,,,,,, no wonder it takes ya a month to answer an email;D

just curious,,, did you use the ""pearl one, knit one"" technique,,,,

love that butt mate,,, and i can tell by the way how you fluently use expressions such as ""thingo,,,, spinny,,,,,chuck thingo etc etc that you've been bitten by the bug,,,

great work,,,, and it DOES look good

choppa

Owen
02-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Mate I sorted the spinny problem. Went real high tech on this one. I made an infinitely flexible coupling onto the drier that can fit any rod butt in it. It took me a day and a bit the figure it out in my head. (yeah I know I'm a bit slow:'() and a minute and a half to build. And it worked out brilliantly.
Sometimes the simple things work best (Hopefully I'm not the simple one??:-/)

What a lot of rubbish.
'fess up Scott.
You spent a day and a half on the lathe turning up a self centering chuck with fluid drive and twin opposed concentric couplings. While you were swearing at it coz it wasn't working your wife/10 year old daughter picked up the rod & said "hmmm why not wrap a bit of foam around it with some masking tape" :beer:

finga
02-06-2007, 03:12 PM
What a lot of rubbish.
'fess up Scott.
You spent a day and a half on the lathe turning up a self centering chuck with fluid drive and twin opposed concentric couplings. While you were swearing at it coz it wasn't working your wife/10 year old daughter picked up the rod & said "hmmm why not wrap a bit of foam around it with some masking tape" :beer:
The truth is out there somewhere ;D
It was actually the dog who laughed at me....I swear it.;)
No kids so their uncomplicated minds weren't a help to me :-[

I think your a bit over the top with the fluid drive bit Owen but the rest sounds interesting. A flexible drive will do ::)

finga
02-06-2007, 04:03 PM
is this what your've been doing the last week or so,,,,,, no wonder it takes ya a month to answer an email;D

just curious,,, did you use the ""pearl one, knit one"" technique,,,,

choppa
What do you mean??
Didn't you get my answer to your question??
No knit one pearl one just wind down here...wind up there. Pretty boring really :D

cajunnsw
04-06-2007, 02:15 PM
If that's ya first one, lookout when you get some practice. :D

How good is that! ;D 8-)

finga
04-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Ta guys.
It's had a couple of coats of finish now
Hey Phil, there's fluoro orange and yellow in there ;D

2DKnBJ
04-06-2007, 07:24 PM
As for using the rod.....you have to flaming nuts to use a rod after all the effort encase it gets broken...bloody hell I've spent at least 3 full days on the mongrel.

I hear ya Scott.They look too good to use when they are finished.
I had 2 bugs land on my rod as the resin was drying and mad a little mess as they tried to get out of it( FARKIN BUGS:o >:(

The wrap looks good with a couple of coats on it.

Cheers Dazza

Davemclean
04-06-2007, 09:27 PM
looking good mate

DaveB
04-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I had 2 bugs land on my rod as the resin was drying and mad a little mess as they tried to get out of it

Dazza,
I've had that happen before. You can slice off the bugs and their mess with a razor blade, or even sand it back with fine sandpaper, then recoat. You might want to spray the room before you recoat though :clown:
Regards
DaveB

2DKnBJ
05-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Cheers Dave

I had thought of sanding the area but was unsure as to how it would turn out.Maybe i should just ask next time i have a minor dilemma and i am sure someone here will help out.

Cheers Dazza

theoldlegend
10-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Scott brought his finished rod round this arvo.

Boy, I'm speechless. If you thought it looked pretty good in the photos, you should see the real thing. The piccys simply don't do it justice.

It's an absolute work of art.

TOL