PDA

View Full Version : Smart tabs any good?

Nepenthe
29-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Hello All

I have just been given a set of Smart Tabs FOC, can someone please tell me if they have used them and found them effective. My old Starboat with the sterndrive diesel runs a little stern heavy, not really interested in independent adjusment for heel as i am happy with the move the esky plan (and the extra 1k in my pocket), but a little assistance achieving a plane at low speeds would be useful. Previously ran a fin on the old sterndrive (worked okay) but the new one is under warranty and I rather not drill holes, will the smart tabs have a similar effect to the fin or am I wasting my time fitting them?:)

Cheers Gio

Deiter
29-05-2007, 04:48 PM
G'day Gio, I think FNQCairns fitted some a little while ago. I know he bought 'em anyhow. When he sees this thread he should be able to help ya.

I have read about them (if they are the spring loaded ones) and it sounded like a good idea - pretty cheap considering too. Although, not as cheap as yours;)

Damo8-)

Nepenthe
30-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks Damo,

They are the ones you are thinking of, actually gas filled actuators and the blurb on the packaging sounds like they will do what I want. I have my old mate Shonk1's generosity to thanks for them (they weren't quite trick enough for him).

Hopefully FNQCairns will notice the post and give them the thumbs up, I just dread the thought of drilling (more) holes below the water line for no effect.

Cheers Gio:-/

FNQCairns
30-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Hi GIO, sorry never used them so don't know, all the blurbs I have read about them from people that have them fitted are positive though some rave about the difference (the reason I bought them in the first place).

No matter what! they are a better idea than a foil in any instance as they cantilever on the hull proper.

As a guess you will see a decent reduction in the speed you can hold plane, are they the right size to suit your boat?

Cheers fnq

Nepenthe
30-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the reply fnq, The packaging denotes them as 80lb pressure suitable for boats to 22' which is within the range of my old girl at 20' (6m) or thereabouts, I guess I will just drill away and put my trust in Neptune or whoever is in charge of all things oceanic these days.;)

Cheers Gio

snelly1971
31-05-2007, 12:00 AM
How about showing us a few pics of your boat gio...I looked at a newer Star boat recently...

Cheers Mick

Chimo
31-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Hi Guys

Ive got electric adjustable Lenco's and reading your posts can I ask if the smart auto ones have 80lb down force so they lift the stern when you go forward then what happens to the stern when you back up fast?

Thanks

Chimo

FNQCairns
31-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Chimo they need to be raised to back up fast, they say to attach a permament cord for raising when trailering.

cheers fnq

Chimo
31-05-2007, 07:50 AM
FNQ
That sounds wonderful, something else to do when your backing up on a fish!

I would have thought a length of fencing wire, not , cord, would be more appropriate! Perhaps RAG has comment on this too?

Ho hum...................GOM ................

Cheers
C

FNQCairns
31-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Yeah Chimo if a person is into light line etc they certainly could be a problem, most people never back up like that though, of coarse some do also.

Sure Gut's has a can of something he could pour over the transom just before backing up that will fix it:)

Will be interesting to hear your thoughs on what it does to your boat Gio some remark they make travel at cruise and under but on the plane more stable when it is a bit rough, the boat I have now is IMO is not suited to them or any tabs for that matter so I will not be finding out for myself.

cheers fnq

Nepenthe
31-05-2007, 03:09 PM
You make a good point Chimo backing up fast could be a problem. Not something I do all that often though and the angle they suggest is only 25 degrees off the the hull so I don't think they would protrude low enough for trailering to be a hassle, at least I hope not as I am not sure I could curl 80lb, fencing wire or not. Would love a set of Lenco's but I don't think Shanes generosity will strech that far. And yeah I am hearing you Mick, a bloke should really get his $#%@ together and post some pics etc.

Thanks to you all for the feedback, Gio

Edencraft
31-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Can anybody tell me where you can purchase smart tabs from either on the Gold Coast or on-line?

Todd

FNQCairns
31-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Tod not sure they can still be bought in Australia, google them for a few places that sell from the US, I think you will be looking at up to $280.00-300.00 AUD to your door for GIOs size, could be wrong.

I think I paid $270 or so for the set I have, bought here in OZ. Bought from solas sunshine coast through ebay I think, was the last set they had if my memory serves me, give them a call they may still sell them.

Mine are for sale, warrenty is long gone, but still new in box. PM if interested.

cheers fnq

shonky1
01-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Dead right Gio! generousity definately wont stretch far enough for a set of Lenco's

sjp2
01-06-2007, 08:04 PM
heres mine,and they work a treat ,i havent had a reason to back up real fast but cant imagine it acting like a submarine(dive ,dive ),i picked these up from bias for $150 a year ago,they simply do all the web site claims

Nepenthe
07-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for all the comments fellas, the pic and the comments on brackets makes good sense sjp2, I guess I will be talking to my ally welder bloke about doing the same.

Cheers Gio