PDA

View Full Version : how quickly things can happen- thank you VMR Jacobs Well

whitingkiller
28-05-2007, 09:53 AM
On the weekend, our fishing club,Beenleigh Sundowners, ran the annual King of the Pin competition, and i want to share an unbelieveable event that happened
concerning my father, a life member of our club.
Every year, he and his mates higher a houseboat from Commera River and venture out to the Pin for a bit of R & R and hope to land a big one.
On Friday night, it had been raining down the Pin and after the footy finished,
the old boy thought he would go out the back and check on his boat, to see how
much rain water was in there prior to going to bed.Now at this stage, he had
drank 3 cans of scotch & dry from 2pm to 9pm..so if he blew in the bag, he would have been under.As he reached over to his boat tied into the side, he slipped an fell in the water, the tide started to take him away and he panicked, swallowed
some sea water and passed out.
Lucky for him, he drifted into another boat some 100 mtrs behing these, and these legends, thought it was a log until they put a torch on it.
They pulled him into the boat and he wasn't breathing, they performed CPR and
brought him back to life...These legends then rang VMR Jacobs well who where there in a flash, to transport him to the hospital.
He was eventually discharged late yesterday.
I have been fishing for over 30 years and my dad probably for close to 50 years,
just goes to show that you can never be to complacent on the water.
I know the 2 legends who revived my father4, and i thanked them on sunday for
saving his life!
My next port of call is to make a donation to the VMR and i have always been meaning to take out a membership with them...I will definately be doing that now!

Chris Ryan
28-05-2007, 11:09 AM
What a great story. A fantastic outcome and proof that good people still exist in the world. VMR do a great job and we should all become members - am waiting until payday for me :) - or at least donate to them regularly. Its amazing that if every boatie flicked them a few bucks every few months (clean out the car ashtrays) then they continue providing a service like you mention and are there to save us all.

Just hope I don't need them this weekend at the M&G!!

Puff

geoff72
28-05-2007, 11:25 AM
top stuff mate,great to here your dad is ok, top work the vmr,,well done. just goes to show how quick accidents can happen and destroy families lives in a second, well done to the guys who did the cpr,deserve a medel and plenty of grog for there effort.

charleville
28-05-2007, 11:29 AM
A truly great story! :)

The people who helped your Dad deserve a award. "Bravo!" also to the VMR.

How old is Dad?

juju
28-05-2007, 12:39 PM
No matter how carefull you are things can happen in a second, that can change lives forever...lucky there was someone around...

whitingkiller
28-05-2007, 01:09 PM
charleville,

old man is 64 and luckily has been on a diet for the last 6 months
was 120 kgs but now down to about 90kgs
this probably helped save his life.

blaze
28-05-2007, 01:23 PM
thenks for sharing, and for all concerned a pat on the back
cheers
blaze

Dirtysanchez
28-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Thats a great story, you must be very relieved to have your dad back safely.

Well done to the guys on the other boat, and to the VMR

Thanks for sharing

AutoPilot
28-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Hello Whitingkiller,
Great story,and glad to here your dads OK.
i,M a active member at VMR Jacob's Well...and we are on duty, after the crew that took your dad back to the Ambo's...I will be sure to tell Sam ( the Resorce Controller for Green crew),that you have reported this story to all AUSFISH members & given him & his crew a great complement on this thread.
All the best for your father...Cheers to the guys who performed CPR..

Cheers
Scott

kingtin
28-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Nice to hear some good news amongst today's troubles.

Thanks for sharing mate and my congratulations to all concerned in a good outcome and I hope your pop is doing OK.

kev

whitingkiller
28-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Auto pilot - If you can pass on my praise to the team who attended that would
be greatly appreciated.

Always happy to give praise when it is well deserved.

sandyd
28-05-2007, 04:15 PM
What a great story, one that thanks to VMR and the other guys your dad will be able to tell himself in the future.

Horse
28-05-2007, 05:43 PM
I guess it was not your Dads time.

A miraculous rescue and congratulations to all those involved

Hopefully we can catch up with the VMR crew on the weekend and congratulate them

Poodroo
28-05-2007, 06:29 PM
What a fantastic outcome. Another chance at life is something a lot of people never get a chance to have. Thanks for sharing the story with us.

Poodroo

Foxy4
28-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Really great outcome for your dad and also a good bit of promotion for the VMR as well. VMR and the Aust Volunteer Coast Guard are always looking for financial assistance to keep afloat. I am a firm supporter of them. It also maybe a great idea for all boaties to do a basic First Aid and CPR course. You never know. One day it might just be your turn on either side of the gunwale.

AutoPilot
29-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Hi Whitingkiller,
I will indeed pass it on...
Thankyou again for the great thread

Cheers
Scott

boombah
29-05-2007, 01:14 PM
I lost my Auntie a few years back when she drowned while rockfishing on a calm day down at Merimbula...(South Coast NSW)....never take chances or let your guard down when on or near the water and always make sure your kids are educated about the dangers.....Great outcome....

Boombah

dogsbody
29-05-2007, 04:47 PM
WK thats good to hear, it can happen so simply and no one could be any the wiser. Top effort for the cpr dudes.

Dave.

Tangles
29-05-2007, 05:59 PM
great to read a positive story, they are becoming rarer these days

mike

haggis
29-05-2007, 08:36 PM
I heard the story on the radio on sunday morning . glad to here the old fella is fine and out of hospital .
cheers fae haggis .............

Fish Guts
29-05-2007, 10:31 PM
nominate the lads on the other boat for an award. top form. hope u and ur dad will be out slaying the fish soon. good onya vmr once again !!

ffejsmada
30-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Whitingkiller,
Glad you're Dad is safe and sound mate, that would of freaked anyone out.

There is only ONE Volunteer organisation that I give donations too, and that is the VMR, Coast Guard.

They have actually saved myself and my missus from a roll over on the old Southport Bar. They do a fantastic job!!:)

3 Cheers to the VMR !!!

Jeff.