PDA

View Full Version : Over size fish

reelchippy
27-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Can i get members options on some members that post pictures up of fish that should have been released. I have seen a lot of big flathead over 70cm being kept not released am i a bit of a GREENIE wants the word on this topic. cheers

kingtin
27-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Can i get members options on some members that post pictures up of fish that should have been released. I have seen a lot of big flathead over 70cm being kept not released am i a bit of a GREENIE wants the word on this topic. cheers

Mate, the over 70cm pics that you've seen are likely NSW members.

As long as fishos stay within the law, then it doesn't matter one iota what other fishos think about breeding stock etc.

They are not criminally liable if they stay within the law and it is up to the individual whether they want to classify them as morally liable or not.

I don't consider that ridiculing openly in a forum such as this, those that you consider morally irresponsible in keeping legal size fish, but obvious breeding stock, as has happened in the past, to be productive.

Each to his own, I suppose, and if we cannot be guided by departments such as the DPI&F, then who can we be guided by? We can be guided by our own conscience of course, but we all possess differing consciences and those consciences are rarely pricked by open debate...........I think it's called "fight or flight" ::)

kev

blaze
27-05-2007, 08:58 PM
lets keep it in perspective, I have in the past post reports of keeping 30 or 40 flathead of between 350 and 400mm and got a roasting for it, some one in qld may bring home 50kg of reef fish and get congrats for a great catch. Now whose got the most fish to eat, well its not me. Plus flathead are in plague proportions in tassie waters cause we would catch that many in an hour between 2 people most of the time.
So to the big breeders, if its legal and its not wasted its worthy of as many congrats as the big reds off the reefs.
Like Kev said
You need to be able to live with the decision you make
cheers
blaze
ps
maybe should have posted in saltwater section

reelchippy
28-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Thanks guys well yes it is down to the individual well said cheers

onerabbit
30-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Two interesting replies, both from respected members, both from either side of the fence.

Personally, I hang a bit to the south, too many Flatties & I will move.

I have never caught a big fish, but my youngest caught one over 5kg when he was 11, little bugger , & despite popular opinion, it was VERY good eating.

Maybe it's a case of "when in Rome...................."

Muzz

choppa
30-05-2007, 08:55 PM
theres a post in saltwater happening now that fits this to a tee,,,,

i responded,,, and it only stirred up the flames again,,,

both kev and blaze have my opinion here,,, i'm certainly a c&r man,,, unless theres bugger all in the fridge/freezer department and then i'll keep a feed,,, but i don't preach c&r if theres anyone fishing with me,,, and it sometimes gives me as much enjoyment seeing their expressions when i do release a fish as it does releasing it

as stated in the above mentioned thread in s/water,,, i'm really tiring of seeing members shot down in flames on their catches,,, and as blaze states,,, then to see the same members praise others for theirs,,,

i can understand that we are all passionate about fishing by the amount of members and posts etc,,, but i also believe that a host of us don't look both ways before we cross the road as well

to keep or not to keep,,,,,,, alas if you do keep it,,,, don't take a pic and post it,,, just brag and make em wonder??????????????

choppa

bit deep isn't it???????;D

Tangles
30-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Poppa Chopper,good post! and agree !
i'm really tiring of seeing members shot down in flames on their catches,,, and as blaze states,,, then to see the same members praise others for theirs,,,

The only thing i can add, is passion on a point of view can sometimes get a bit misguided, for me each to their own as long as they respect others and the relevant fishing laws/guidelines, like you said, look both ways!
cheers
mike

mattooty
30-05-2007, 10:14 PM
It all stems down to what the individual thinks. There are some blokes who can go out and pull fish out of bathtubs, and some who are lucky to lose a bait, guess whos the ones who gets roasted when they take that "fish of a lifetime"? Its certainly not the trophy anglers.
I do my fair share of C&R. Personally, i havent kept a decent fish in over 3 or 4 months as i have a freezer with a 14kg jew and tuna steaks.
As long as the fish is not wasted, i believe that noone has the right to roast them over it. Take for example the post by a ballina fisher who took a small marlin not long ago, that thread went from a few sour faces to an all out online brawl.
When it was put into perspective, it was kept, looked after and eaten.
If its within the law, dont roast
Matt

Rod Fishing
31-05-2007, 06:45 AM
You have to be able to live with yourself if the law says over 70cm throw it back then through it back . If there is no bag limit well you have to know where to draw the line dont you.

Rod...

BLOOEY
31-05-2007, 06:55 AM
I've posted up pics of big flatties but did not state weather or not they were released.For the record they were as with most of my other estuary fish nowdays.Maybe it was presumed that they were kept.