PDA

View Full Version : Pre-purchase Engine Inspection?

rat_catcher
27-05-2007, 04:04 PM
I am having an engine inspected by a dealer next week as part of a pre-purchase check. Is there anything I should specifically ask for, or will the dealer know what to do if I just ask them to a pre-purchase inspection?

bastard
27-05-2007, 04:30 PM
what sort of engine and what year model is it.

rat_catcher
27-05-2007, 04:33 PM
what sort of engine and what year model is it.
2005 250hp Suzuki 4-stroke.

bastard
27-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Theres not a lot that could be wrong with that,might pay to check the serial number and just make sure it wasnt a commercial engine.

Chimo
27-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Ask the dealer if he would buy it for himself and if not, walk away.
Chimo

FNQCairns
27-05-2007, 06:31 PM
When something goes wrong with 4 strokes they use a gold plated hammer to bash it straight again, pretty sure they will know what to look at, but ask if they will be doing a leak down test (google it), this is a more thorough form of compression test , not impossible they do not know how or do not have the equipment, most dealers are a bit 'she will be right this way' because most customers do not know to demand any better.
Good thing you are getting it checked out.

cheers fnq

boatboy50
27-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Is the engine being inspected by a Suzuki dealer? It should be. Any other dealer will not be able to hook up the computer and give you a printout of hours, revs run at, alarm set offs ect ect.

Is the engine being inspected by the dealer selling you the boat? It shouldn't be.

Is the boat being bought privately? What is it?

The Suzuki dealer should be able to run the serial # and be sure the engine has had all the updates (that engine has had recalls), who the original owner was (commercial) and more.

USE AN AUTHORISED DEALER, as backyard bob wouldn't even know what he is looking at!

Regards

Darren

rat_catcher
29-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Is the engine being inspected by a Suzuki dealer? It should be. Any other dealer will not be able to hook up the computer and give you a printout of hours, revs run at, alarm set offs ect ect.

Yes it is being done by a Suzuki dealer. I spoke to them today and it is booked in for Thursday and I told them what I want done. They seemed only too happy to help.

Is the engine being inspected by the dealer selling you the boat? It shouldn't be.

Is the boat being bought privately? What is it?

No, it is a private sale of a Signature 702L. I looked up the Suzuki website and gave the seller two authorized dealers near him and he has booked it in. I also called and spoke to them to doublecheck everything.

The Suzuki dealer should be able to run the serial # and be sure the engine has had all the updates (that engine has had recalls), who the original owner was (commercial) and more.

This is good to know. I did not think about updates/recalls. Thanks.

Fish Guts
29-05-2007, 08:52 PM
think the only recall was the new computers they put in all of them ? any also the cowlings were replaced free of charge on all of them.

good choice rat catcher.

rat_catcher
29-05-2007, 09:27 PM
also the cowlings were replaced free of charge on all of them.
What was wrong with the cowling?

Fish Guts
29-05-2007, 10:22 PM
yeah they replaced all of them eventually. ours both had the paintwork coming off and cracking from the sun. found out that a whole batch didnt get sprayed right in the factory. so 2 new cowls. good thing about suzuki they dont fall short on warranty issues. think a new cowl for a 250 was 1100 each or something ridiculous. nothing paid thou ! and all good now.

rat_catcher
30-05-2007, 08:19 PM
OK it is in for the service and inspection tomorrow so we shall see how it goes.

rat_catcher
02-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Well I just got home last night from my trip and the engine was looked at as planned. I spent a fair bit of time at the dealer and went through everything with the Dealer Principal. I was then able to walk around the back and spent about 30 minutes with the mechanic. It was all well worth it. Turns out the engine only has 146 hours on it, not the 406 that the hour meter registers.

BUT this does create an issue, although I am not sure how much of an issue it is. As the owner was working off the boat hour meter he put it in for service at 406, but this was actually 146 hours so it was 40 hours overdue. The mechanic said it was all OK, but I am wondering what people think of this?

Also I got a dump from the computer and there some overheat alarms, but no other alarms. The mechanic didn't even mention these and I only noticed them after I had left and read through the report in detail.

The alarms were 'Overheat temp' and 'Overheat grad'. I am going to call Suzuki on Monday and talk to them about this, but was wondering if anybody had any idea about these before I call.

Does the engine shutdown when it gets one of these alarms, or does it just log it in the computer? There were 5 listed and 3 of them have data. They were all at just over 1,000 rpm so I am thinking they were from when the engine was being flushed after use. I noticed the seller has been using earmuffs which I thought was not recommended on these large engines. Any ideas?

I can post all of the relevant data for each alarm if that will help.

boatboy50
02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Hey Rat,

Don't be concerned by the overheat alarms. If logged at 1000rpm there is no issues, and will be poor seal on the flushers.

The hours are a bonus also which provide more value to the boat. Easy fixed by replacing the guage if you are that way inclined.

The 40 hours overdue again is not a concern at all. Many people servive them every 200 hours.

The Zuk's don't shut down when an alarm sounds, they simply go into limp mode (depending on the alarm) and go slow to avoid damage to the motor.

Regards

Darren

rat_catcher
02-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Don't be concerned by the overheat alarms. If logged at 1000rpm there is no issues, and will be poor seal on the flushers.
Thanks for this. I still have a final call with Suzuki on Monday to doublecheck everything and confirm the warranty will be transferred, so that will be the final datapoint.