PDA

View Full Version : Whats your total Trailer and boat weight

Steven78
27-05-2007, 02:56 PM
I have been doing the sums on Trailers and boats weights and i found out they many dealers dont leave much room for fuel water and Ice and other gear is this normal?. I did the sums on my old boat and I found out I would have been about 30kgs over weight on the trailer with fuel and the extra battery. I want to know is this a common mistake? This time I am getting a new boat built and this time i have got it right.
Many Thanks Steve

"Edit Spelling"

fez
27-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Yep,

one of the most common areas skimped on is the trailer, it is as if not more important than the quality of the hull. By going for a cheaper trailer generally it is not rated to carry as much weight overall as one of the better quality ones, no to mention the longevity of it (provided you still look after it)

Buy a quality one and but it once!!!!!!

Most people would be surprised withthe weight of gear that they carry, anchors, saftey gear, ice, food, water, fuel, fishing gear, esky etc.

Put all of this gear in a box trailer and run it over a weighbridge, if you want to be really accurate prior to ordering a trailer, better that than ordering one that leagally won't hold the weight.

What sort of boat/trailer are you ordering, be specific with when ordering the trailer and the manafacturer should (if responsible) have a better idea.

Cheers,
Fez

Cloud_9
27-05-2007, 03:55 PM
the trailer mob should now their stuff .
My trailer has a tare of 1450KG
the whole show weighs 1360kg with fuel and fishing gear and all the other stuff.
the boat alone is 1000Kgs with all the other stuff in it.
clud 9

seatime
27-05-2007, 05:02 PM
It's a mistake I discovered with my rig. When doing the sums, alarm bells where ringing. Quite a lot of weight had been added to the rig for survey, add other gear & a full tank and it looked borderline. I took it over the weighbridge and it was over. The dealer did come to the party though and had the trailer upgraded with a new axle, springs, etc, and restamped by the manufacturer.
The outcome was OK, but could have been avoided and saved a bit of hassle for me. I recently had a surf bar made by Belco and am very happy with it. That's where I'll shop when it's time for a new trailer.

cheers
Steve

Steven78
27-05-2007, 05:39 PM
The New boat should be fine and i ma happy with it. What i was worried about was the old boat and I did not know until now what I was sold. I know when i get the new boat its going stright weight Bridge to know how much more gear and room i have if i wanted to add things.

snelly1971
27-05-2007, 05:53 PM
My trailer is rated to 2000 kg...

Boat and gear weighs in at around 1600 kg...

Add all my other fishing equipment then i am very close to the 2000 kg limit...

But i only have to tow it 500m to the ramp

Cheers Mick