PDA

View Full Version : Show us your tools

sandyd
26-05-2007, 08:07 PM
At the rod building week-end it was quite amazing the ingenuity and the imagination of some of the team.
So that other people can all so benefit from the very clever people who attended and also those who did not but have a great idea on rod building tools how about posting them for others to see.

here I have attached Owens weave thingy which consist of 2, 1/2 pieces of poly pipe both with 2 combs attached which is to keep the threads in order and numbered. On the down side of the weave thingy there are pieces of foam with slits cut into them to hold the threads firm. Works great as you can see he has a work in progress happening on it now.

finga
27-05-2007, 09:04 AM
A bit personal isn't it Sandy?? :-/
I mean think about it..... I'll show you my tool if I can see yours?? I don't know if that's a ;D or a :o or a :'( for people seeing my tools.

Anyways Stuart got to me about needing POWER that week-end so I had to re-invent the rod-lathe and this is what I came up with. A 3hp beauty..just don't wear long sleeves or have long hair. Also ditched the rubber bands for v-belts. No slippage now. All I have to do now is put a quick release clutch on it because when you hit the stop button it still winds about 500 yards of thread. :(
On a plus though there's no vibrations as the thing weighs about 100odd kilos and is bolted to the bench ;D

Seriously though a good thread and when I buy a new camera (long story) I'll do some pictures of the re-built gear that I built.
Thanks to Stuarts helpful suggestions the various bits of gear are now working a lot better. So ta Stuart ;D
I love constructive criticism. :D

If you look careful there is a rod in the lathe ready to unleash the power upon. :)
Also just noticed some blank spots on the wall where tools should be....someones gunna die >:(

sandyd
27-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Scott that thing is a monster, sure is a little bigger then the one you took to the RB week-end. I would be interested in how you went about constructing this apparatus and what you used.

Also think I need to chose my words more carefully. :angel:

finga
27-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Scott that thing is a monster, sure is a little bigger then the one you took to the RB week-end. I would be interested in how you went about constructing this apparatus and what you used.

Also think I need to chose my words more carefully. :angel:
I used my wallet.
That's my old caste iron wood lathe that I have.
I put a rod in it for a joke for Stuart seeing he wants power.
See Owen can do that to his lathe as well. ;D

sandyd
27-05-2007, 02:14 PM
I used my wallet.
That's my old caste iron wood lathe that I have.
I put a rod in it for a joke for Stuart seeing he wants power.
See Owen can do that to his lathe as well. ;D

Gee how stupid do I feel and here I am being very impressed by your ingenuity and thought you where for real. :-[ Think I will have to ask the other half in future what is for real but can he be trusted?:-/

theoldlegend
08-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Scott, shouldn't you have the jaws of the shifters closed so they don't go outside the outline where they hang?

What fits inside that thing under the missing shifter?

TOL

choppa
08-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Scott, shouldn't you have the jaws of the shifters closed so they don't go outside the outline where they hang?

TOL

more importantly,,,isn't that my hammer you borrowed a year or so back??????

finga
08-06-2007, 01:28 PM

TOL
No because it takes too friggin long to put the jaws in and out. Built for speed mate, built for speed. ;D
I rarely use them anyways. My Pop would wollop me for using a shifter instead of the right spanner and heaven help me if I put it on back-to-front.:-[
They taught me a lot my Pops. :)
I wished they were still here to teach me some more :'(

Vacant spot underneath is for tape measure....10m with metric and imperial for the old farts. Purple in colour so nobody is going to pinch it. ;)

And Mr. Choppa......Oops. Sorry:-[

What more can I say but...it ain't yours mate so get your beady little eyes off it >:(
Just kidding ;D
Time for another clean up. I nearly can't find the bench again.:'(
When I get it cleaned I'll take a picture for you Choppa to see IF there IS anything of yours there.
Maybe I shouldn't. People will know what I have then. :-/
Ah stuff it, people here are honest....aren't they??:-/
Cheers fellas
Scott :D

theoldlegend
08-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Hey Choppa,

Ya need any help to go and get your stuff? I can organise some pretty ordinary people to help you out. They don't scrub up real good, and they're not averse to sticking an electric drill bit into somebody's knee to get payment. Seems to work a treat. A carton is generally the accepted payment.

Let me know mate. Anytime.

Finga,

Mate, you cant beat the old imperial stuff. Beats this metric rubbish hands down.

TOL