PDA

View Full Version : Sharks Sharks.... More sharks

pebble_monkey
26-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Went to the Burnett River today to do a spot of fishing ...... horrible weather for it i know (but hey ... new boat and all). We were one of the few idiots out there and that includes fish .... all we got were small shark, shark, and more shark (I'm not going to include the 29cm & 26cm Bream my 4yo daughter caught on her $19 combo>:( ). Getting back to the subject, we moved up and down the river only to be rewarded with more sharks, i lost count of how many we threw back. I was going to keep some (most of them only a little bigger than the one in the pic) but i wasn't sure what they were and/or if there was a size limit, or if i was aloud to keep them at all, so they all went back. Will be going out again tommorow and would like to know what they are, and if i can keep them (just incase we don't catch anything else).

Thanks
Petra

SWANY22
26-05-2007, 07:19 PM
look like little walers to me dont think there is a size limet on them

Chimo
26-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Agree

Big ones bit boats I found!

Chimo

pebble_monkey
26-05-2007, 08:34 PM
:-/ Remind me never to go swimming in the Burnett ..... just looked them up on the net (p.s. that is what we thought they were, just not 100%) judging by their size they are only very very recent young (most around 65-70cm) but there must have been hundreds of them ...... we moved from the mouth to the port and beyond and every time our lines went down a shark came up!! If they only have around 20pups each ?? That is a sh*t load of mummy Bronze Whalers in the river:o

Petra

Sea-Dog
26-05-2007, 10:26 PM
We caught a grownup version of your bronzie some years back.

12'4" she measured.

<Mental note to self - Stay out of water>

The little ones taste nice though. ;D

dogsbody
27-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Gee with all them little sharks around you have to ask the question how many gray nurse sharks getting round.

Dave.

cuzzamundi
27-05-2007, 03:52 PM
look s like a dusky whaler pup to me. hundreds around there this time of year - too far north to be a bronzie, plus note the slight black colouration around the tip of the fins - common for juvies. no size limit. tagged a heap back in january near there. mum woulda been around for sure - can grow to 13foot.

cuzza

shaman
27-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Was marooned on a sandbar at avoca beach one day with nothing between me and the beach except a 13 foot Bronzie cruising up and down, Bbbbbig Fffffffish mmmmmate.

GAFYM
29-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Hey Dogsbody,

Bloody thousands no matter what u have been told. This from ex Navy Diver

Nough said......

Fishin_Dan
29-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Petra,

Caught a heap of them in the Burnett when I was there at Easter too...

Also a nice sized hammer head.

Livies fished into structure seemed to last a little longer..... And if they did get sharks eating them, the sharks were bigger (Around 1-2 foot) and perfect for a good feed.

dogsbody
30-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Hey Dogsbody,

Bloody thousands no matter what u have been told. This from ex Navy Diver

Nough said......

This was my thinking as well. They say(greenie types) less than 300 what a load of crap!

Dave.