PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd help you out :-)

kingtin
26-05-2007, 04:30 PM
All the time I've been on Ausfish and this is my first visit to the fresh section ::)

I heard that some of you freshies were having trouble with forkies so I thought that I'd better get into fresh fishing to help you out, or for days when the vermin weren't so hot in the salt ;D

Seriously though, I used to do a lot of fresh (coarse) fishing back in the UK but haven't ventured into it since coming here. Mainly float fishing in the UK with a bit of live baiting and luring for pike and perch and some tussles with some big moirror carp on ledger. I thought I might give it a go here seeing as how those yellowbellies look so lovely :D

Can I use my light sea tackle such as 2 to 4 kg baitcaster with abu 5000' sand 6000's? or my bream tackle? Is it all lure fishing or is there bait fishing? where's the nearest landbased spots for a decent day out with the family around Brizzy? I have a 3.95 stacer with a leccy but thought I might give the land base a go first.

I've got loads of questions so rather than pester you with 'em all, can you suggest some reading that would bring me up to speed as I haven't the faintest idea what I'm coming up against.

cheers

kev

wrip109
26-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi Kingtin

I am also from an English type background. The fishing style here is about the same as fishing still water in UK.

Your Bream rod will be ok with 2 kilo line and a small egg-beater. Your boat is perfect.

Try using live shrimp with just a few of the larger split shot. You want it to sink to the bottom - slowly. No need for a float really but I use one sometimes just to control the depth of my bait.

Somerset, Big W, Moogerah or any of the stocked dams will get you a nice bass or yellowbelly. You might even get lucky and catch a tilapia.

Land based is not so easy because most of the trees are out of the water so it is difficult to find structures or weed beds.

Good luck

Phil

SWANY22
26-05-2007, 07:40 PM
kingtin land base you cant go past northpine dam .fished a lot of dams and north pine would have to be 1 of the best also lots of red claw.just fine some deep water and you cant go wrong.use spinner baits or lipless crank baits,kaodda have a cheap verson of jackalls they work a treat.went out there for an afternoon sesh got 8 bass 1 yellow belly all on koadda lures.i also live in brackenridge defently worth the 10 min drive out there.good spot to go when the bay is to rough

stokesy_86
27-05-2007, 10:55 PM
kingtin if your living at bracken ridge then north pine dam would be your best option, your 2-4kg stuff would be fine and spinner baits and jackalls in natural colours are good lures to use.

Good luck,

Stokesy

brian steele
27-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Kingtin

I live in Wigan, bet you don't miss the brown sea at Blackpool :o.

If you can catch fish in England I reckon you can cut it anywhere Mate

Once a northerner....

shayned
28-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Kev,
Check your PMs mate
Shayne

kingtin
28-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Kingtin

I live in Wigan, bet you don't miss the brown sea at Blackpool :o.

If you can catch fish in England I reckon you can cut it anywhere Mate

Once a northerner....

How's the canal doing mate? Too many dumped cars in it yet? ;) ;D

Dunno about brown seas.this is Blackpool on one of it's calmer days ;D

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/sea1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/cenotaphasstormclears.jpg

kev

brian steele
29-05-2007, 03:48 AM
The canal is fine mate still full of BIG Perch. The Ribble is doing ok too, some massive Chub and even big Barbel coming out now.

Still, its raining over here at the mo... Bet you wish it was raining there eh ;)

Take care Dude, let us know how you get on with the fishing.

Bri