PDA

View Full Version : maps for morten bay

mamu
26-05-2007, 05:31 AM
Does anyone know a web site that shows marine maps of Morten bay. I have googled plenty with little joy, also i want to buy a big map to pin to the wall for marking out spots etc, any particular brand recomended and purchased from?cheers
Mamu

subzero
26-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Gidday Mamu, although NSW has them I suspect QLD must be running a bit short of funds so wont allow their products to be posted on the web etc. Either that, or they are just plain bloody misserable and I just cant imagine that ;)

You can buy laminated and unlaminated ones from most chandlery stalls.
If they are for learning only and not for going on the boat, buy the unlaminated ones. They are about $5 a chart cheaper than the laminated.

I dont know where you were going to hang your charts, but might I suggest the toilet. When I was training on Roster, always used to tell the new Recruits to pin them up in the toilet. There are no distractions and your mind is set totally on what you are looking at. The benefits are evident very quickly and not only yourself gets to learn, but so will your missus and kids even if they dont want to nor have any intention of it ;D

Every time you look at the chart, you will see something different as their is always more details to look at such as contour lines etc, when you think you have learnt it all. Even places you will go "Gee, never noticed that before".

Just remember, charts are updated very infrequently, they are the best form of assisting you with navigation, but no substitute for keeping a good look out and being well aware of the charts limitations and areas of likely change to shoaling sediment etc. Updates to changes in the Notices To Mariners are found here.
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Notices_to_mariners/
You can sign up and recieve ammendments free from them emailed out on a daily basis called N.T.M's

Good on you for doing the "right thing" and wanting to do your "Homework".

Kind Regards
Lloyd

mamu
26-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Loyd, thanks for the advice, and the kind words, I had intended to hang the map on the wall above my computer so i could do a quick reference check whilst checking the weather, swell etc but the "throne" sounds like a good idea. I might have to buy two!
Cheers
Matt.

Lone_Wolf
26-05-2007, 09:44 AM
If you are in Brissy mamu, Bias have all the maps you need, plain or laminated.

LW

mamu
26-05-2007, 07:46 PM
If you are in Brissy mamu, Bias have all the maps you need, plain or laminated.

LW
Thanks LW, I picked two up this morning from Bias at Underwood.
Cheers.
M

deathstar 3
26-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Hey Mamu

How much were the charts mate?

John