PDA

View Full Version : sail outboards

SWANY22
25-05-2007, 11:49 PM
was on the compter to day and came across sail out boards.canadian company,they were claming they are half the price of your normal brand motors and just as good.any one herd of these,or know if there for sale here in austraila.they say they are sold world wide.

snelly1971
26-05-2007, 12:20 AM
I have seen them for sale on ebay here in Australia....

Cheers Mick

Noelm
26-05-2007, 08:00 AM
yep, half the price and about 1/4 as good (if that) they are a cheap copy of I think a Yamaha, in some of the "Offshore" countries, you can just get a sample of any product, take it to them and then they will make a copy at almost any price you want to pay, the less you pay, the crappier the product, we have all seen those Screwdriver sets for $2 for a full set, they are completely useless, too soft, handles split if you try to use them, the motors are the same, built to a price, I am sure that they will run quite well for a while, but see how many are around in 5 years time, let alone 10 or 20, you get what you paid for, a pile of metal immitation junk.

smee
27-05-2007, 06:15 PM
yep, half the price and about 1/4 as good (if that) they are a cheap copy of I think a Yamaha, in some of the "Offshore" countries, you can just get a sample of any product, take it to them and then they will make a copy at almost any price you want to pay, the less you pay, the crappier the product, we have all seen those Screwdriver sets for $2 for a full set, they are completely useless, too soft, handles split if you try to use them, the motors are the same, built to a price, I am sure that they will run quite well for a while, but see how many are around in 5 years time, let alone 10 or 20, you get what you paid for, a pile of metal immitation junk.

So did you say that youve had one???

snelly1971
27-05-2007, 06:40 PM
I reckon that probably the biggest hurdle would be spare parts back up for them....It is hard enough sometimes getting parts for the well known brands ;et alone for a new commer....cheers Mick

shaman
27-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Maybe thats why they're called "Sails". You might be better off with a sail .........
Or they may even chuck in a sail in case of breakdowns........................

Mercury16
27-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Yeah, i've seen them on ebay a fair bit not many get bidded on.
also i see alot of osprey outboards mainly 15hp 2 and 4 stroke,
do any of you's reckon they are no good aswell??

cheers Peter

blaze
27-05-2007, 08:47 PM
tohatsu is only a few hundred more for simular hp and have been around with the runs on the board. Yes i looked and done my sums, also look at yamaha, suzuki, johnson which were only a few hundred the top side of the tohatsu. I ended up with an 18hp tohatsu and couldnt be happier. Do your research, by that I mean not only asking on the forums but also things like company research
cheers
blaze
ps
I dont believe parts would be an issue with osprey or sail

snelly1971
27-05-2007, 09:50 PM
I was saying that parts wouldnt be available for these motors Blaze...just that because they are a new commer they wouldnt have the parts back up like that of say...Yamaha or Mercury ect...I have had to wait for up to a week for parts for My Yammie which are a common motor ..less something like a sail or osprey...

Cheers Mick

snelly1971
27-05-2007, 09:52 PM
But I will agree with Blaze and say....spend the few extra bucks and get a Tohatsu...great little motors that just keep going and going...

Cheers Mick

Noelm
28-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I have never owned one, bit I do know a guy that did, after the warranty period (which was a real drama) he just left it to "rot" in the garage and sold it off in a garage sale, but on things made Offshore, I have been involved in the battery industry and you can get common old "torch" batteries made for any price, they just put sawdust on the case and as much "battery" as you want to pay for, just pick up an elcheapo battery then the same size (say) Everready Energiser and feel the difference in weight, same as with motors, you just cut corners in anything you can like the quality of the metals and the machining, and the research and testing/development (when you copy, someone else paid for that) I also once got a "solid brass" garden tap which was a quater the price of a well known brand, it was rusted to bits and unusable within a year, so much for the quality of the "brass"